Sell me

Posted on
Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:41 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Sell me

I'm in something like the same boat you're in. I am NOT a current Indigo user, but I'm very very jealous of what appears to be its rock solid reliability, not to mention local processing. I'm using SmartThings, and after nearly two years of use, I'm right on the fence of throwing up my hands and throwing out my zigbee stuff to convert to Indigo.

Before you more seriously consider SmartThings, you owe it to yourself to read this entire thread on the ST community forums.
https://community.smartthings.com/t/upd ... ance/42547

As for IFTTT, I was super enthused about how it has ST compatibility. But experience showed me IFTTT is SLOOOOOW and their support is almost entirely unresponsive.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:00 pm
GD1210 offline

I've only hit one really disappointing thing so far. I have the secure SCS317 7 day thermostat.
It's very basic in indigo. In homeseer I can set it to away and adjust the away set point.
Other than that indigo is looking good.
I'd say BeNext were best of the smart hubs albeit a bit clunky interface but it was quickest and supported the modules well that I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:18 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

GD1210 wrote:
I've only hit one really disappointing thing so far. I have the secure SCS317 7 day thermostat.
It's very basic in indigo. In homeseer I can set it to away and adjust the away set point.

And how is this different than setting Indigo into an "away" mode and having Indigo set the thermostat?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:28 pm
GD1210 offline

The stat is a 7 day programmable one. I have 4 or 5 times through the day that heating is on and off.
In Vera for example I had to write a set point to it every 15 minutes if I wanted to override the thermostat program.
If I set the thermostat to away it would sit in away mode for a week.
Although it's not a huge issue it does mean the heating does come on for a few minutes at times when we are away.

I would change the controller but wife would go nuts. If I had a cheap rfid setup that I could successfully detect home occupancy I could almost do away with the scs317.

Posted on
Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:33 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, you can't disable the program mode? I've never heard of a thermostat where you couldn't turn off the program mode. Seems like a huge missing feature to me... :roll:

[EDIT] - I believe you want to set the thermostat into "Permanent Override" mode. From the sound of it (in their user guide), in this mode whatever you change the setpoints to will hold until you turn off permanent override or you change them. It should never automatically change setpoints.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:48 pm
howartp offline

This is an interesting two-way discussion.

I can't see a ZWave command in the manual that puts it into either permanent override or away, so I'm not sure how Homeseer would have been achieving that functionality.

GD, I'm thinking at this moment that it's not Indigo that is 'very basic' with this device - I think it's the device that only supports traditional setpoint changes via ZWave, not mode changes. Unless your manual gives different options to what me and Jay are seeing. If so, it should be possible for someone to write a plugin that extends the thermostat device type to include away mode on your device.

Posted on
Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:56 pm
howartp offline

Sorry, ignore most of that.

I've just read the Vesternet version of the manual which has more info than the version I read before.

It does support holiday mode etc.

Jay, I've not used the default thermostat devices in Indigo - does it support sending mode changes, or would we need to write a plugin for it? (Or would a device definition be able to support it?

Peter

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:02 am
GD1210 offline

It's actually a handy feature.
It's more the fact that the controller is a programmable unit that makes it a bit more awkward to keep at a set level when you are away.

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:00 pm
Different Computers offline

Thought I would add:

I was really enthusiastic about IFTTT integration when I got ST and built it in to a lot of what I tried doing.

Over time, I came to rely less & less on it, partly because I found other ways to do things, and partly because IFTTT is so slow, support is nonexistent, troubleshooting is nearly impossible, and I could find other ways to do things.

Since switching to Indigo, the ONLY thing I find myself wishing for IFTTT for is to talk to my Harmony Hub. But you know what? I'm not very happy with my Harmony hub and I'll be happy to switch to a Global Cache system, which I expect is more easily configured, and much more capable.

Weather channel? There's the WUnderground plug in.
Automatic? I could make IFTTT flip a variable using DropBox files and the Mac OS Finder's Watch Folders.
Date & Time? Built in.

And actually, it just occurred to me that I could do things like have the IFTTT Craigslist channel send an email using the Email channel that makes Indigo speak about a new deal that matched my search parameters.

Email integration in Indigo is potentially very powerful, and allows for IFTTT to say all sorts of things to Indigo.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:29 am
Will offline

Hello,
could anyboy please post a snapshot of the Indigo UI Controls for the SCS317 programable Thermostat?
My big concern is how does Indigo deal with the progaming capabilities inherent to this Thermostat as well as what features can be acceded via Indigo.
Many thanks.

Guillermo.

Posted on
Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:22 pm
kw123 offline

piBeacon is a solution for home / away / location in house/ groups of iBeacons (family, guests..).
It seems to be stable.. several users have no issues with it. It is very fast (< 1 sec) and little false away / home issues

BUT you will need one or more RPI for it.
setup requires a little bit experience on how to setup an RPI. The RPI has to boot and be visible on the network -- the plugin does the rest.

Karl
~9 months of programming went into this ..