Should I move to Indigo now or wait for V7

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:55 am
mlew offline

Should I move to Indigo now or wait for V7

Hi All

I have been working on my HA project for around 3 years now and started with Vera Lite, then moved onto Fibaro HC2. As i have progressed i have started to realise the HC2 doest live up to the marketing. Dont get me wrong still believe it has given me a more user friendly system the the Vera but put simply i have now had enough of not know why scenes have not run even when they work fine one minute but not the next etc etc. Also wife only seems to notice the odd times it doesn't work not the majority of times its good :)

So this leads me onto Indigo :D

I have an old Macbook so thought would give it a go so ordered the GEN 5 USB and downloaded trial last night. Must say within 1 hour i had added couple of Fibaro motion sensors, binary sensor with temp probes and TKB sockets added along with variables for time of day set and lounge lighting working a treat with light level adjustment dependant on occupation.

So now the big question, i am tempted to start moving all my devices over this weekend as i am so impressed with how easy it is to get a scene how you want it. But i see V7 is in development and dont want to spend the money now to only have to upgrade again in coming months. Am i better to wait or is there some form of free upgrade if you have purchased very close to new release?

If not what is the rough cost to upgrade from one pro version to the next normally?

Thanks for any advice hope to be on-board with you guys soon.

Mark

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Should I move to Indigo now or wait for V7

All Indigo 6 purchases since the end of November 2015 qualify for a free upgrade to Indigo 7 when it ships, so you're good to buy now if you like. If you purchase through a reseller, be sure to register Indigo when prompted to when you enter your licensing information - that's the only way we know when you actually got the software.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:21 am
mlew offline

Hi Jay

Firstly thanks for very quick response and really please ref free upgrade as means I can crack on :D

Many thanks

Mark

Posted on
Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:29 am
RageDoctor offline

@ Jay: Sounds great! I am looking forward to anything new coming up :D

@ Mark: Welcome to the club! I joined the community 4 month ago and I was totally new to Indigo, HA and Python. I am using also my old MacBook Pro as Indigo Server. Works pretty fine :!: I do love coding Python...so much fun and easy to learn.

Every beginning is hard...
Software: Indigo 6.1.4
Controller: Z-Stick Gen 5
Devices: Fibaro Wall Plug, Motion Sensor and Door/Window Sensor, Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6, more to come...

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:49 am
mlew offline

Thanks RageDoctor glad to be part of the community, i dont have any python experience but started learning through code academy so hopefully will be up to speed for basic use in no time :)

As an update and mini review for anyone else considering the move from Vera or Fibaro units (the two i have used) see below:

Friday night (UK time) i started to move some devices over to Indigo and quickly used up the 20 device limit on the trial so decided having played with triggers, scheduled and actions it fitted my needs. I ordered the Pro version through Indigo website as wanted the code straight away as very impatient and wanted to work on system over the weekend :D Unfortunately i seemed to break the order system some how but Jay had it resolved within an hour so good start from tech support and goes in line with what i have read on this forum.

Most of Sat was spent excluding devices from old HC2 and adding to Indigo system, this was by far the most time consuming part. The really surprising thing was how simple it was to create the scenes i wanted. After setting up few triggers and schedules realised i could do things a lot simpler than i did on HC2. Range from the Aeotec Gen 5 stick seems great as i have devices in loft, shed and garage all communicating no issue what so ever.

Sunday was spent fine tuning and adding few plugins like Plex, Pushover, Sonos, and IndigoplotD for tracking hot water temperature. I still have varies things i want to do and add to the system but so fair it has not missed a beat. I only have two devices that are an issue firstly the Fibaro Dimmer 2 which works but i need to work out how to configure the parameters as there's no template and secondly the Fibaro Smoke Alarm version 2 (version 1 works perfect) which just appears as a z-wave bridge (again known compatibility issue just got to wait for fix).

So to recap i have moved and programmed all devices and scenes within 2 days which i think shows how user friendly Indigo is, would whole hearty recommend to anyone considering the move.

Posted on
Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:26 pm
Ramias offline

jay (support) wrote:
All Indigo 6 purchases since the end of November 2015 qualify for a free upgrade to Indigo 7 when it ships, so you're good to buy now if you like. If you purchase through a reseller, be sure to register Indigo when prompted to when you enter your licensing information - that's the only way we know when you actually got the software.

By end of November, do you mean like Nov 25?

Posted on
Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:37 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I believe November 27th is the official cutoff date.

Posted on
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:19 am
benip offline

What happened to this free post Nov 2015 upgrade? I bought in March 2016 and yet to upgrade to Indigo 7, I am being asked for $89.95.
Did I miss something?

Posted on
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:22 am
howartp offline

benip wrote:
What happened to this free post Nov 2015 upgrade? I bought in March 2016 and yet to upgrade to Indigo 7, I am being asked for $89.95.
Did I miss something?

http://www.indigodomo.com/blog/2016/11/ ... mber-2016/

Note: if you purchased Indigo 6 after November 27, 2015, you received a 1-year Up-to-Date subscription at that time that covers the release of Indigo 7. Because we released later than expected, we’ll extend the subscription for purchases between November 28, 2015, and May 31, 2016 until June 1, 2017. So, everyone who purchased Indigo 6 after November 27th, 2015 will have access to at least 6 more months of Indigo 7 releases.

Posted on
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:32 am
benip offline

Ok, I'm being really slow today. I'm either on an up-to-date program that doesn't update me to 7 until I pay the $89.95, or my account page is showing the wrong information.
I'm sure it's clear to everyone else, but to be honest I've had a big lunch and half a bottle of wine for my wife's birthday :lol: :roll: :oops:

Posted on
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:39 am
howartp offline

benip wrote:
Ok, I'm being really slow today. I'm either on an up-to-date program that doesn't update me to 7 until I pay the $89.95, or my account page is showing the wrong information.
I'm sure it's clear to everyone else, but to be honest I've had a big lunch and half a bottle of wine for my wife's birthday :lol: :roll: :oops:

Your original understanding is correct - you should have a UTD subscription for Indigo 7 valid until 1st June 2017.

Do you not have an Indigo 7 license showing on your Registration Codes page, on your account?

Peter

Posted on
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:47 am
benip offline

No, I don't :cry: , I have my i6 code and a green button to update. Screenshot attached.
I'm glad that my understanding hasn't been totally sozzled, though, so thanks! :wink:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 15.41.03.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 15.41.03.png (52.57 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Last edited by benip on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:51 am
howartp offline

Nothing further down page?

Those two boxes change depending which code you've clicked on further down. I can't screenshot mine right now but it's a list of the different codes you have, and defaults to the indigo 6 one as the first in the list. You should have an additional indigo 7 one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:55 am
benip offline

No, below that is the trial licence I had before buying, an option to connect another registration code and the page footer. Nothing else.

Posted on
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:58 am
howartp offline

Ok, I'm sure Matt/Jay will be along to sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk