Seemingly Excessive API Calls - Version 1.0.05

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:43 am
daveHawk offline

Seemingly Excessive API Calls - Version 1.0.05

Dave,

First off hats off to a super plugin. I your plugin to control lights and shortly to control blinds on a sunny side of the house.

My question has to do with what seems are phantom calls to the Weather Underground API. I have only one Wunderground Plugin device , but I am getting about twice the calls that I would expect. I set the interval to 5 minutes and exceeded the limit of 500, in about 21 hours! I disabled the plugin and had no API calls during that time. If I change the interval to 10 minutes I am able to get through the day (not exceeding the 500), but the API count is about twice what it should be (I am counting the Current Conditions - Observation Time changes).

What am I overlooking?

Thanks

Posted on
Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:29 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Seemingly Excessive API Calls - Version 1.0.05

daveHawk wrote:
Dave,

First off hats off to a super plugin. I your plugin to control lights and shortly to control blinds on a sunny side of the house.

My question has to do with what seems are phantom calls to the Weather Underground API. I have only one Wunderground Plugin device , but I am getting about twice the calls that I would expect. I set the interval to 5 minutes and exceeded the limit of 500, in about 21 hours! I disabled the plugin and had no API calls during that time. If I change the interval to 10 minutes I am able to get through the day (not exceeding the 500), but the API count is about twice what it should be (I am counting the Current Conditions - Observation Time changes).

What am I overlooking?

Thanks

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the plugin. I'm afraid I'm going to need a bit more information in order to diagnose the problem. Do you get a message from Weather Underground that you've exceeded your daily limit (used a raindrop) or only from the plugin?

I have 4 different sites that I track on my production server at 15 minute cycles (16 calls per hour to your 12) and have not been seeing this behavior.

Regardless, we'll figure it out.
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:16 pm
daveHawk offline

Dave,

The limit notice came from the plugin. I checked the API received by Weather Underground - there were 450 calls. I had the interval set to every 5 minutes. Somehow the plugin seems to be making more calls that what it should.

From the event log:

2017-02-09 21:06:26.202 WUnderground Daily call limit (500) reached. Taking the rest of the day off.
2017-02-09 21:11:28.713 WUnderground Daily call limit (500) reached. Taking the rest of the day off.

Dave

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:24 pm
DaveL17 offline

Thanks for reporting back. Please reinstall the plugin and let me know if the behavior persists.

No need to delete any devices or anything drastic like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:30 pm
daveHawk offline

Dave,

Will do, I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Posted on
Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:23 am
daveHawk offline

Dave,

Your suggestion fixed the problem. My calls are now matching the API analytics!!

Thanks for the help.

Posted on
Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:50 am
DaveL17 offline

daveHawk wrote:
Dave,

Your suggestion fixed the problem. My calls are now matching the API analytics!!

Thanks for the help.

Excellent. Glad that worked. Please let me know if the problem resurfaces.

Cheers,
Dave

Page 1 of 1