Indigo freezes directly after restart since installation

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:19 am
RageDoctor offline

Indigo freezes directly after restart since installation

Hey Dave,

like I wrote in my message. After installation of the plugin Indigo freezes and nothing works anymore except closing indigo via context menu. After restart it freezes immediately. Any thoughts?

I have no idea which information are of any help. So do not hesitate to ask as much as needed to figure this out :wink:

Best regards,
Marcus
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-10 um 14.30.13.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2016-01-10 um 14.30.13.jpg (258.96 KiB) Viewed 6388 times

Every beginning is hard...
Software: Indigo 6.1.4
Controller: Z-Stick Gen 5
Devices: Fibaro Wall Plug, Motion Sensor and Door/Window Sensor, Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6, more to come...

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:46 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Indigo freezes directly after restart since installation

RageDoctor wrote:
After installation of the plugin Indigo freezes and nothing works anymore except closing indigo via context menu.

Hi Marcus - sorry to hear that you're having trouble. I don't think Indigo is freezing, I think it's stuck in an endless loop.

Please do the following.
1. Stop the Indigo server (via the "Stop Server" menu item.)
2. Exit the Indigo application.
3. Browse to the following folder: /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Preferences/Plugins
4. Delete the following file: com.fogbert.indigoplugin.wunderground.indiPref
5. Restart the Indigo Server.

Please let me know if this solves your problem.
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:58 pm
RageDoctor offline

Hm, I can't find the folder "Perceptive Automation" :roll: Am I stupid (please don't answer) or how could it be?

Devices: Fibaro Wall Plug, Motion Sensor and Door/Window Sensor, Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6, more to come...

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:46 pm
DaveL17 offline

No worries! Copy the above path and then go to Finder and select Go and then Go To Folder and paste the path there.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:41 pm
RageDoctor offline

Cool, thanks :D

Why didn't I see the folder in the finder :?:

Indigo is running and it says:
WUnderground Error The plugin requires an API Key. See help for details.

I will give it a new try tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Marcus

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:45 pm
DaveL17 offline

That's a good sign. The plugin has started successfully.

Please take a look at the documentation in the WUnderground Plugin forum--it will help you get up and running.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:58 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Hi Marcus - sorry to hear that you're having trouble. I don't think Indigo is freezing, I think it's stuck in an endless loop.

I can't offer much more in the way of information, but I saw something a bit similar - I noticed in the GUI that the Address column for my device was flashing between two values or just refreshing or something, but it was noticeably changing rapidly. When I clicked into Indigo it was basically frozen... so I went to the server and noticed that BOTH the Indigo Server process and WUnderground plugin were consuming over 100% CPU each. Disabling the plugin stopped the issue and re-enabling it did not reproduce the results. I assume something just got in a bad state.

Anyway, I didn't report it at the time as I figured it was isolated... Anyway, the fact that both processes were pegged and I saw the Address flashing might indicate the issue was a continuous loop updating the server.

Posted on
Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 pm
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Anyway, I didn't report it at the time as I figured it was isolated... Anyway, the fact that both processes were pegged and I saw the Address flashing might indicate the issue was a continuous loop updating the server.

Thanks Adam.

I have seen that in the past as well. Thought it was something in my setup (which never seems to be the same as the production version!), and since nobody else had mentioned the problem, I wrote it off as isolated too. I'll have a look at it and see what I can find. If anyone sees this problem, reloading the plugin should straighten it out (but maybe not permanently.)

Dave

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:21 am
kw123 offline

I had this in fingscan when the plugin wants to change a variable or state to often Then indigo can't keep up and gets behind in updating/ logging the changes while trying to be responsive to the changes
I had this when I tried to run fingscan on my laptop in a hotel
there the mac numbers of the routers somehow are constantly changing

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:47 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

There are a couple of possibilities here.

Case 1:
One is if a plugin updates a device or variable rapidly then on some Indigo configurations the Indigo Client can freeze up. We've seen this happen most often when trying to select a popup menu item that lists devices or variables. Indigo on the Mac uses bindings to update the UI, and in some cases if the updates come too fast then Cocoa (Mac UI framework) can get behind and end up freezing up the app. To avoid this we probably need to have some governor mechanism that throttles how quickly the Indigo Server blasts changes to the Mac Indigo client. Implementing that will be a bit involved and we've only seen a handful of reports of this problem, most of which can much more easily be avoided by having the plugin/script reduce the frequency of updates a bit. It also normally is only a problem with Indigo databases that have several dozen or hundreds of devices/variables.

Case 2:
The other possibility is a logic problem in the plugin that is causing it to get stuck in a loop, causing continuous back-to-back updates or API calls to Indigo Server. This can occur in several different scenarios, but the most common being when code inside a plugin callback ends up causing the same callback to eventually be called again with a similar enough state that the callback is called infinitely.

The differences between the 2 scenarios is that in the former (1) it is only the Indigo client that is will freeze up. The plugin and the Indigo Server normally continue to execute okay, and if the client is force quit and relaunched it may continue to work okay for a few seconds/minutes until the UI gets too far behind (or the user clicks on a popup that has devices or variables in it). For the latter case (2) the Indigo Server and plugin are busy spinning their wheels as well, which can result in the entire server not working correctly. Case 1 is technically an Indigo client or Mac OS bug, whereas case 2 is normally a plugin or script logic bug.

It sounds like in this scenario the plugin and the Indigo Server were at 100% CPU, which makes me think it is case #2 above.

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:08 pm
RageDoctor offline

Seems to work now :D

Thanks all for the contribution :!:

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:25 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hi Marcus. Good news. Still have a gremlin to track down based on your earlier experience.

The green circle should change to a thermometer the next time the plugin refreshes the data (the idea was a visual cue to let the user know the temperature is out of date.)

I chose Weather Underground for the deep API and data it offers. And I want even more data! :)

By the way, the problem as Matt described above is most certainly issue #2. While the over taxing of the Indigo server is bad enough, at least it doesn't blow through the daily call limit.

Dave

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:34 pm
RageDoctor offline

Indeed, it changed after next update. I am kind of impatient :wink:

Is it possible to show the forecast max temp for the present day in the client?

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:21 pm
DaveL17 offline

It is!

Look for the device state called "Forecast High - Today".

Dave

Posted on
Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:14 pm
DaveL17 offline

Just an update on this error. I think that I've isolated the problem and I'm testing the changes now. If I'm right, it wasn't a logic problem per se, but rather a situation where I may have been asking the server to do too much too quickly. I had built in some "safety net" functions to read the plugin props and device props to make sure that they were complete and, if not, repair them if necessary. This was done prior to every data refresh. It was overkill really, and perhaps a bit too.....creative. :D

Dave