Weather Underground Plugin

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:02 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Weather Underground Plugin

I have just pushed an update to the plugin that will hopefully settle down the issues caused by erratic WUnderground data (the update also adds some other refinements).

WUnderground Plugin Updates

• Changes behavior to only update device states when latest downloaded data is newer than previous data.
  • Fixes bug in the Write Weather Data to File routine where the plugin would write only the date/time.
  • Fixes bug in the Write Weather Data to FIle routine where the plugin would only write to Indigo 6 log folder. Now the plugin tries the Indigo 7 log folder and falls back to Indigo 6 if needed.
  • Ups the amount of time that the plugin waits for a response from Weather Underground from 15 seconds to 30 seconds (per weather location).
  • Logging refinements.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:02 am
DaveL17 offline

I have just pushed an update to the plugin that will hopefully settle down the issues caused by erratic WUnderground data (the update also adds some other refinements).

WUnderground Plugin Updates

• Changes behavior to only update device states when latest downloaded data is newer than previous data.
  • Fixes bug in the Write Weather Data to File routine where the plugin would write only the date/time.
  • Fixes bug in the Write Weather Data to FIle routine where the plugin would only write to Indigo 6 log folder. Now the plugin tries the Indigo 7 log folder and falls back to Indigo 6 if needed.
  • Ups the amount of time that the plugin waits for a response from Weather Underground from 15 seconds to 30 seconds (per weather location).
  • Logging refinements.

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:11 pm
webdeck offline

With version 1.0.04, I'm still getting this error:

Code: Select all
   WUnderground Error              Unable to send forecast email message. Error: list index out of range (Line 550). Will try again later.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:28 pm
DaveL17 offline

webdeck wrote:
With version 1.0.04, I'm still getting this error:

Code: Select all
   WUnderground Error              Unable to send forecast email message. Error: list index out of range (Line 550). Will try again later.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike - so am I. Without a fundamental rewrite of that part of the code--where I wrap every variable in its own trap--these messages will continue unless and until WU gets its act together.

If you're not asking for an email forecast, that's something else. Please let me know if that's the case.

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:06 am
racarter offline

Hi Dave

Just had this from WUG:

"I can reproduce the issue here, but it's unclear what's causing it. It's possible that the station's record is corrupt. You could try registering a new station and see if the problem is fixed with a new station ID.

Other than that, looking at the problem would likely have to wait until January due to the API team's current extremely high work load to staff ratio."

Great tech support eh? Anyhow, rather than wait until the New Year I've registered a new station and will see how that goes.

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:41 pm
DaveL17 offline

racarter wrote:
Hi Dave

Just had this from WUG:

"I can reproduce the issue here, but it's unclear what's causing it. It's possible that the station's record is corrupt. You could try registering a new station and see if the problem is fixed with a new station ID.

Other than that, looking at the problem would likely have to wait until January due to the API team's current extremely high work load to staff ratio."

Great tech support eh? Anyhow, rather than wait until the New Year I've registered a new station and will see how that goes.

That's great news. Not the "wait until next year" part, but the "we acknowledge that it's a problem and can reproduce it" part. It will be interesting to see if we can surmount the issue by selecting new weather locations.

I can't use 'autoip' because sometimes my ISP puts me in the next state, but when I use US ZIP code, WU does switch my actual source from time to time. Even under the best of circumstances.

Thanks for reporting back.

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:59 am
tornado offline

The download link seems to be down.

Thanks

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:14 pm
DaveL17 offline

I have moved the project to GitHub. In the Indigo Domotics File Library for the plugin, you should find a link to the new download location. I've also updated several of the links in the forum posts, but many are now broken that's true. You can also download it here.

Please let me know if the link above (in this post) doesn't work for you--it does for me, so there may be a permissions issue if it doesn't.

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:30 am
Professor Falken offline

Any idea why my saved icon images sometimes don't match up with the icon device state when displayed on a control page.

When I check the device state in Indigo, it shows the correct one (partlycloudy in this case):
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 7.14.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 7.14.18 AM.png (20.75 KiB) Viewed 3710 times

But when the control page shows an image, it see,s to be showing a different one (nt_fog here):
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg (74.69 KiB) Viewed 3710 times

Is this another symptom of erratic data coming from WU?

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:06 am
DaveL17 offline

Professor Falken wrote:
Any idea why my saved icon images sometimes don't match up with the icon device state when displayed on a control page.

Is this another symptom of erratic data coming from WU?

In this case, I think it's something else. If you have a properly named device image, then Indigo should be displaying the right one. I call mine:

weather+.png
weather+sunny.png
weather+partlycloudy.png

If Indigo can't find a proper match, it will use some logic to try to find what it thinks is the closest one. Beyond that, it might be a caching issue--where does your screen grab come from? You might try clearing the cache to see if that helps. However, given that the device state seems to be properly populated, it seems that the issue is not plugin related. All those "-99" state values? Those are all WU. :D

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 am
Professor Falken offline

I think they are saved correctly, following the heuristic rules of Indigo. Here are the Day and Night partlycloudy images as they are saved:

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 10.16.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 10.16.50 AM.png (56.43 KiB) Viewed 3700 times

Here's the relevant section in my control page:

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 10.17.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 10.17.49 AM.png (92.15 KiB) Viewed 3700 times

I think you may be on to something with the cache thing though. I have noticed thatthe CP's have recently started loading much slower, even though I haven't made a significant additional of images, etc. Even when on my home wifi, they are loading much like when I am on a cellular connection elsewhere. The Mac is running fine, and is a relatively new machine.

The original screenshot was from my iPhone, which is the only place I am running the CP right now. Is there a way to clear the IndigoTouch image cache and then reload them on an iPhone?

Thanks.

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:36 am
DaveL17 offline

Professor Falken wrote:
I think you may be on to something with the cache thing though. I have noticed thatthe CP's have recently started loading much slower, even though I haven't made a significant additional of images, etc. Even when on my home wifi, they are loading much like when I am on a cellular connection elsewhere. The Mac is running fine, and is a relatively new machine.

The original screenshot was from my iPhone, which is the only place I am running the CP right now. Is there a way to clear the IndigoTouch image cache and then reload them on an iPhone?

It looks to me like everything is set up properly on the control page side.

We've been seeing that iOS has not been honoring Indigo Touch's requests to manage the iTouch cache and other users have found that deleting and reinstalling the app will set things right--at least until the next time. :shock:

Before taking that step (which isn't really that big of a deal IMO) you might try loading the same control page with OS X or iOS Safari to see if you get a different result than you get with iTouch.

Posted on
Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:24 pm
Professor Falken offline

OK, I'll give that a shot the next time I see a mismatch. Strangely, it frequently (though I can't swear always) seems to happen when that nt_partlycoludy icon either should be called or just switched off to something else. The interesting thing is, that icon wasn't in the group when I first put them in the folder (leading Indigo to serve up the generic + icon). I grabbed them all from a forum user's pack a while back, and that one just wasn't in there. So I was able to just make it by altering the regular daytime partlycludy one and saving it with the correct name. But it took a couple of cycles before it would show the icon, even though I knew it had the correct name and the device state was showing identical in Indigo. It was like the the server (or iTouch client) was still stuck on the null image. Eventually it started showing, but frequently wonky like this.

Ever since then, I have tried to be extra careful when placing the PNG files in the folder to make sure I have all of the various device/variable states saved exactly right to avoid the program having to go to the null image.

Thanks again for the help troubleshooting. Great plugin, by the way. I think the next thing I want to get is a weather station to have data from my own back yard. I'll of course register it onto the WU system when I do.

Posted on
Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:38 am
DaveL17 offline

Professor Falken wrote:
OK, I'll give that a shot the next time I see a mismatch. Strangely, it frequently (though I can't swear always) seems to happen when that nt_partlycoludy icon either should be called or just switched off to something else. The interesting thing is, that icon wasn't in the group when I first put them in the folder (leading Indigo to serve up the generic + icon). I grabbed them all from a forum user's pack a while back, and that one just wasn't in there. So I was able to just make it by altering the regular daytime partlycludy one and saving it with the correct name. But it took a couple of cycles before it would show the icon, even though I knew it had the correct name and the device state was showing identical in Indigo. It was like the the server (or iTouch client) was still stuck on the null image. Eventually it started showing, but frequently wonky like this.

Ever since then, I have tried to be extra careful when placing the PNG files in the folder to make sure I have all of the various device/variable states saved exactly right to avoid the program having to go to the null image.

Thanks again for the help troubleshooting. Great plugin, by the way. I think the next thing I want to get is a weather station to have data from my own back yard. I'll of course register it onto the WU system when I do.

Glad that you're finding the plugin useful. If you see anything else that doesn't seem quite right, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I would love to have a weather station of my own, but our place just doesn't have a good spot for one.

Posted on
Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:05 pm
Bleasel offline

Re: Small feature request

Dave

Thanks for a great plugin.
Just a small feature request. Could you add data for yesterday's precipitation.
That way if it records precipitation more than "X "yesterday, I can set the open sprinkler not to water in the morning.

Thanks

[Moderator's Note] Moved to the proper thread.

Page 49 of 56 1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 56