No auto mode?!?!?! (actually, yes, read to the end)

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:05 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No auto mode?!?!?! (actually, yes, read to the end)

I just installed one of the TC thermostats. Imagine my shock to discover that it has no "auto" mode. Do they actually expect people to manually switch between heat and cool in climates where one day can require heat and the next cool? Or both in the same day??

Nick, have you heard from the Honeywell guys if they're going to fix this glaring oversight in a firmware update? If not, I'm probably going to return it. Around here, I'd have to be manually changing it between heat and cool several times a week during the late fall/winter/early spring. Or write some convoluted script to manually change it based on outside temps.

Frustrating for a really expensive thermostat...

[EDIT] read my last post on this thread on how to enable it...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:19 pm
nlagaros offline

Re: No auto mode?!?!?!

I was surprised that it didn't have an auto heat/cool mode, however ... with the plugin, I could use Indigo to switch modes when I necessary based on some logic that considers the outdoor & indoor temperature - all of which are available with the plugin. It's annoying, but possible. Being in the northeast, I think I only encountered the need to switch between heating & cooling one or two days over the past year (and that is unusual).

jay (support) wrote:
I just installed one of the TC thermostats. Imagine my shock to discover that it has no "auto" mode. Do they actually expect people to manually switch between heat and cool in climates where one day can require heat and the next cool? Or both in the same day??

Nick, have you heard from the Honeywell guys if they're going to fix this glaring oversight in a firmware update? If not, I'm probably going to return it. Around here, I'd have to be manually changing it between heat and cool several times a week during the late fall/winter/early spring. Or write some convoluted script to manually change it based on outside temps.

Frustrating for a really expensive thermostat...

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:27 pm
nlagaros offline

Oh.. I hadn't brought it up. I will the next time I speak with them. I want to get an update on the new API that will push updates to the plugin.

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

nlagaros wrote:
I was surprised that it didn't have an auto heat/cool mode, however ... with the plugin, I could use Indigo to switch modes when I necessary based on some logic that considers the outdoor & indoor temperature - all of which are available with the plugin. It's annoying, but possible.

Exactly - I'm really hesitant to try to work around this problem since it should be included. I have a $90 trane zwave thermostat that does it, and 8 years ago I got Venstars that had it. So, basically, there is no good reason why a high end thermostat shouldn't have it. I'd be very interested to hear what they have to say.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:11 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

OK, so it actually does have an auto mode - it's just not enabled by default so it doesn't show on the System tab. Enabling it requires you to go deep into the menu system: Menu>Preferences>Advanced Preferences - then you hit Next until you see Heating and Cooling System Changeover and you'll see an Automatic option. Tap that button, then back all the way out to the top level and select the System tab again and now there's an Automatic option as well as heat and cool.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1