Sonos opens up...

Posted on
Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:46 pm
nlagaros offline

Sonos opens up...

You all may not need me for much longer...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/30/son ... -is-comin/ Sonos opens up: Spotify Connect and Amazon Echo control is coming

Posted on
Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:48 pm
rapamatic offline

Re: Sonos opens up...

nlagaros wrote:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/30/son ... -is-comin/ Sonos opens up: Spotify Connect and Amazon Echo control is coming

Not to mention Lutron control from keypads and new audio picos.

But I still think there will be plenty of use cases for your plugin and for indigo to know what's going on with Sonos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:11 pm
eme jota ce offline

nlagaros wrote:

Not sure that's true, but this seems like a good time to say "Thank You, Nick!"

The Sonos Plugin has been a great addition to my indigo system. Really appreciate that you made it, share it, and whole heartedly support those of us who use it.

Posted on
Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:47 pm
DaveL17 offline

Sonos opens up...

That is definitely not true. There is not, nor will there be an Amazon Echo in my future.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:13 pm
nlagaros offline

Curious Dave - are you anti Amazon listening to all your home automation? Is that it? If someone were to create a non-cloud version of Alexa, would that be appealing?

DaveL17 wrote:
That is definitely not true. There is not, nor will there be an Amazon Echo in my future.

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:20 pm
DaveL17 offline

I would probably knock you down on my way to get a non-cloud voice recognition / speech device.

I don't like the idea of an always online microphone in my home.

Posted on
Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:55 pm
nlagaros offline

This could be an incredible community hardware/software project. I was thinking about this about three years ago .. embedding microphones in Insteon switches to listen for audio and coding a local speech processor. CMUSphinx could be a good starting point...

I actually thought this had commercial promise.. still do...

Posted on
Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:04 pm
mat offline

Its come a long way since first testing your plugin, and it has been years since my first curl controls to sonos. :mrgreen: :lol:

I had 18 months out of HA while moving house, and only just installed the plugin again a few weeks back. Still works great, and better than the app on many occasions - all my sonos are hard wired and recent advice from the company, because of the dropping out ive been having, is to now go wireless!

I am sure there will be years to come for the plugin :lol: , especially for those of us in the UK where we still dont have local echo support :evil:

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:49 pm
ckeyes888 offline

+100 on the Thank you Nick! Awesome plugin that I've enjoyed for many years.

Not sure I get why the plugin may become obsolete just because the Echo may support it.
What would that have to do with Indigo CP control etc.?

Carl

Posted on
Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:25 am
Seeker offline

Nick, thanks again for this plugin. It has become very stable and reliable in the past year or so. Integration with indigo events is crucial, so alexa/ifftt/other integration won't change my need/use of this plugin.

Posted on
Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:23 pm
RAID5 offline

Sonos opens up...

Everyone who has enjoyed this plugin (including myself) and used it for days, weeks and even years, now is the time to thank Nick with a donation.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"

Posted on
Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:13 pm
Different Computers offline

nlagaros wrote:
are you anti Amazon listening to all your home automation? Is that it?]

That's the biggest part of it for me. Plus my wife and I both already had Apple Watches & decent iPhones prior to Alexa getting real traction. But definitely, I feel more comfortable with Apple's approach to security than Amazon's or Google's. I'd rather pay a bit more and be the customer than get a discount and be the product.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:54 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Different Computers wrote:
I feel more comfortable with Apple's approach to security than Amazon's or Google's.

+100

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:17 am
RogueProeliator offline

You do realize that you carry around an always-listening and online microphone in your pocket, huh? People tend to forget, but their phones are always listening these days too and, unlike Echo, software exists out there to turn your phone microphone on remotely and eavesdrop (well, I say unlike Echo, hell they might have that too and it just hasn't come to light).

But definitely, I feel more comfortable with Apple's approach to security than Amazon's or Google's. I'd rather pay a bit more and be the customer than get a discount and be the product.

I wouldn't actually say that about security as Google's account security and two factor authentication is probably a better implementation than Apple's. Amazon's is far less proven than either of Google's and Apple's and not much has been published about their workings (on their hardware/Alexa/cloud side). However, if you were really talking about privacy then I could definitely see where you are coming from there.

As a help to anyone interested, you can actually opt out of a bunch of Google's information collection buckets - https://privacy.google.com/your-data.html is a good place to start if you so desire. I understand where you are coming from and totally respect those with that opinion -- mine is slightly different in that I am willing to give up some information collection for superior services. Just one example - Apple vs. Google Photos... Google Photos is light years better than Apple's implementation, but it comes at a price in a way -- I highly doubt Google could offer free, unlimited storage and a bigger range of features without the data collection and "us being the product". But I completely get that some would rather pay for storage and have more privacy (well, if you call iCloud private LOL, slight dig there).

I would probably be an Apple guy if their services matched Google's offerings, even if I had to pay for them. If two services were identical and one was purchased and one was free but gave up privacy I would definitely pay (within reason). But we also live in a world where the majority of people won't pay $0.99 for a phone app!

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:59 am
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

You do realize that you carry around an always-listening and online microphone in your pocket, huh? People tend to forget, but their phones are always listening these days too and, unlike Echo, software exists out there to turn your phone microphone on remotely and eavesdrop (well, I say unlike Echo, hell they might have that too and it just hasn't come to light).

I have two applications asking for access to my iPhone's microphone--Sonos and Home Remote--and Sonos is turned off. I have "Hey Siri" shut off as well.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I still think it's different than having an always on microphone listening to everything I say and having that information sent back to the mother ship. I acknowledge that there is a potential risk of a malware threat, but I think that threat is pretty low.

I would prefer a hardware switch (with no chance of a software override) for both the camera and microphone on all my devices!