Sonos opens up...

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Sonos opens up...

I have two applications asking for access to my iPhone's microphone--Sonos and Home Remote--and Sonos is turned off. I have "Hey Siri" shut off as well.

Well, that is far more secure than most people, at least you are consistent! :) Malware and the likes of the NSA can likely bypass that security based on the leaks that we have seen of their capabilities, but that threat is there with virtually ANYTHING electronic. I think you've done the best that is possible short of your thoughts on having a hardware switch.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I still think it's different than having an always on microphone listening to everything I say and having that information sent back to the mother ship. I acknowledge that there is a potential risk of a malware threat, but I think that threat is pretty low.

I'm not following you - both Echo and Siri work the same... nothing is sent to the internet until it recognizes the wake command, then both send all your voice in the same manner.

BTW, despite jesting at you regarding the iPhone, I do think that the iPhone is far more secure than the Echo -- although it is a bigger target and gets more hackers attacking it, it is also patched far more frequently and has more "good intention-ed" researching helping to secure it. Outside of the Google Nexus devices, which is a bit of a niche device set that gets security updates monthly as needed, the iPhone does the absolute best job of pushing out security updates in a timely manner. Samsung has been trying, but they don't always succeed (one could debate whether it is theirs or the carriers' faults, but either way... it doesn't always get done). Plus Apple does a better review of apps going into the App Store than Google and (I imagine) Amazon.

Posted on
Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:55 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Sonos opens up...

RogueProeliator wrote:
[I'm not following you - both Echo and Siri work the same... nothing is sent to the internet until it recognizes the wake command, then both send all your voice in the same manner.

I was under the impression that more than just queries were being sent to Amazon for the purposes of improving the service--not that they were recording 24x7 or anything like that. Maybe the expanded monitoring was just during the pilot. That does make me feel better, but not enough to buy one. :D

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]