Autolog LIFX Controller Discussion

Posted on
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:10 am
jltnol offline

Re: Autolog LIFX Controller Discussion

Jon

Set to 30 seconds, with with 2 missed polls..

Posted on
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:13 pm
jltnol offline

Well FWIW, things have settled down, and as of now, everything seems to be working fine.

LOVE the plugin!

Posted on
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:51 pm
koensayr offline

Very easily one of the most helpful, well written and well documented plugins I've used in with Indigo over the past 8 years! Great work!

I'm curious though if its possible to active some of the effects that are present in the app using the plugin (or Indigo) devices. From debugging and some packet captures it appears that the effects in the iOS app are just pre-programed light changes and not actually a specific command built into the API. Am I off base here?

Can you think of a way to implement "effects" some how in Indigo?

Posted on
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am
autolog offline

Thanks for the kind words and I am glad you are finding the plugin useful. :)

With regards to effects, they are generated by the iOS App which is why the App has to remain running (even if it is in the background).
Arguably, Indigo would be better placed to do this sort of thing.

Some effects would be easier to implement than others - ideally there would be a generic way of doing this rather than specific code for each effect.
It might be possible to do something but not quite sure of the best approach on this.

Which particular effects were you thinking of ?

Posted on
Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 pm
koensayr offline

Well I mean clearly the lights dancing to music would be the one that would be the most fun. Of course though we depend on the mic in the phone for that :P

I particularly like the color cycle and candle flicker effects.

On another slightly related note, I'm working on replicating the "energizing" and "focusing" theme.

-Josh

Posted on
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:52 pm
karlg offline

Hi Josh and Jon,

Yes, I too appreciate Jon's work on this - thanks!

One thing that I am pining for is the theming of a group of lights.
I can see that they are generated by choosing random RGBW values within particular ranges for each globe.
It would be nice to be able to be able to change them on a regular basis.

Probably a Python script, but how do you choose the ranges?

Karl

Posted on
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 pm
Scott_P offline

Hi all,

I love this plugin - thanks Jon! - but there must be something funny with my setup because my Lifx globes don't respond most of the time.

I'm currently running 4.1.6 from github but I think I've had the same issue with all the 4.x builds. Sometimes the Lifx go no ack but often they are apparently OK but I still get a "not connected" error. The device is always able to be controlled by the Life iOS app. Generally I can get things going for a while by restarting the Indigo server.

I know this is an issue on my end (because everyone else is happy!) but Jon can you give me any advice or suggest what trouble shooting I can do? Thanks again for this plugin.

Cheers,
Scott

example from log (with a plugin reload with one of the globes disconnected)

Reloading plugin "LIFX 4.1.6"
Stopping plugin "LIFX 4.1.6" (pid 46000)
LIFX Autolog 'LIFX V4 Controller' Plugin shutdown requested
LIFX Stopping 'Lifx-Frontyard'
Stopped plugin "LIFX 4.1.6"
Starting plugin "LIFX 4.1.6" (pid 46865)
LIFX Autolog 'LIFX V4 Controller' initializing . . .
LIFX No monitoring or debugging requested
Started plugin "LIFX 4.1.6"
LIFX Discovering LIFX devices on network . . .
LIFX 'Lifx-Frontyard' discovered at 10.10.10.129 [d0:73:d5:12:55:51] using Port 56700
LIFX Initialising to poll at 300 second intervals
LIFX Autolog 'LIFX V4 Controller' initialization complete
LIFX Starting 'Lifx-Frontyard' . . .
LIFX . . . Started 'Lifx-Frontyard'
LIFX Starting 'Scott's bedside light' . . .
LIFX . . . Unable to connect to 'Scott's bedside light' as no corresponding LIFX device discovered on the network.
LIFX Autolog 'LIFX V4 Controller' checking for Plugin update
LIFX Checking for updates...
LIFX Port for 'Lifx-Frontyard': '56700'
LIFX No updates are available
LIFX Autolog 'LIFX V4 Controller' next update check scheduled for: Friday, 2017-Sep-15 at 10:42
LIFX Unable to process "TurnOn" for "Lifx-Frontyard" as device not connected

Posted on
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:43 am
autolog offline

Hi Scott,
These sort of problems are normally due to poor wi-fi reception and the plugin not picking up the response from the LIFX device. :|

What do you have your polling time set to? It may take number of polls after a restart for all the LIFX devices to be detected.

How many LIFX devices do you have and what model/firmware are they on?

Also, are you saying that if one goes no ack they all go no ack?

If you turn on all debugging and then reload the plugin and attach the LIFX debug llog of the output after the problem occurs and I will see if I can spot anything.
Access the log from the Indigo Event Log window > Show Event Logs Folder > open folder com.autologplugin.indigoplugin.lifxcontroller and the log is plugin.log.
Either PM it to me or attach it to a reply to this post. :)

Posted on
Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:13 pm
Scott_P offline

Thanks Jon

You're probably right about the wifi reception - that lamp is outside in a metal lamp-holder...

But - wouldn't the iOS app also fail in that case? Also, when I get the log message "LIFX Unable to process "TurnOn" for "Lifx-Frontyard" as device not connected" the device is not showing as "no ack" in the devices list - is that expected?

Anyway - currently everything is working. I've only got one other Lifx globe that I only used for testing, so I'm not sure if they both go "no ack" together or not. That lamp at least is in a good wifi location - I'll keep both lamps up and running for a while and if the problem recurs (in both, rather than just the one with the possibly dodgy wifi location) I'll send you the logs in case it reveals something.

Thanks for your advice - thanks again for a great plugin!

Scott

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:45 am
achterberg offline

I'm assuming at some point that the plugin could be updated for the new LIFX Mini lights and Downlight, when released?

Posted on
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 am
autolog offline

achterberg wrote:
I'm assuming at some point that the plugin could be updated for the new LIFX Mini lights and Downlight, when released?

I am not sure what or if anything would be required but that would be the intention - Yes :)

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 pm
kelmk offline

I’m having a bit of an issue with this plugin and home bridge. Some of my lifx bulbs still get controlled by a physical light switch which means they disconnect when off. Indigo just shows them as no ack which homebridge doesn’t realize is off. The result is HomeKit still showing my lights as on when the are not. Anyway to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:04 am
autolog offline

Hi @kelmk,
The ideal solution would be for homebridge to recognise this situation i.e. state isn't on so it must be off. :wink:

The plugin is performing as designed i.e it can't communicate with the LIFX device and is bringing this to the user's attention. There is no way for the plugin to know whether the no ack is due to a deliberate act by the user (i.e. switching the power off to the lamp) or a wi-fi / device failure.

I am in the middle of working on an updated version at the moment. I could potentially add a configuration option to treat a no ack as an off state which might help. Once I have finished working on the current batch of changes, I will look into it for you. :)

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:40 pm
kelmk offline

That sounds great thanks!

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:22 am
autolog offline

Version 5.0.7 is now available and should hopefully address a number of issues discussed in this thread - see V5.0.7 Announcement :)