Apple's latest battery debacle

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Apple's latest battery debacle

RogueProeliator wrote:
Now Jay, from the ones that I know of you trying that is not exactly a fair comparison... el cheapo tablets compared to Apple's? I use both and I would say the high end Android's are definitely on par with Apple's production devices. Now, if you were looking for the middle end (even $500 devices) I would say you are better going with an older Apple verses the mid tier devices from most Android manufacturers, with a few exceptions.

I periodically try other Samsung devices (I have a friend who is more of a Samsung guy than I am an Apple guy - he trades up every year, not only his phone but also his watch). This article (which is a really interesting read in general), particularly the graphic about scroll latency on mobile devices, is my primary complaint with just about every Android device I've ever used. They just feel slow/unresponsive compared to whatever recent Apple products are on the market. That's not to say that iOS devices don't get very pokey as they age - they definitely do.

However, when I'm considering purchasing a new device, I want it to feel fast and responsive. I get that with any new Apple hardware. I don't get that with most Android-based stuff I try out.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:21 am
roussell offline

Apple released a statement and apology concerning the battery issue. They've slashed the price on the battery replacements and will make software changes in a future release. Nice to see them doing something about it. I'm not yet ready to replace my 6+ as it does everything I need so I suppose I'll try to schedule a battery replacement when I can be without the phone for a little while.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

Terry

Posted on
Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:39 am
akimball offline

Im a happy apple customer again. $29 for a new battery in January....and another $29 for an apple installed battery in December 2018, should help keep my 6+ a workable option until 2019 or 2020.

Since it cost me $1024 with tax, IT BETTER LAST THAT LONG #&@*$$!! Lol. ;)

I feel much better.

-Al

Posted on
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

akimball wrote:
Since it cost me $1024 with tax, IT BETTER LAST THAT LONG #&@*$$!! Lol.

True enough!

The release of the iPhone X sparked a complete replacement of all of my iOS devices so I don't have to think about this issue for now but given the expense to replace all of mine and my wife stuff I do NOT want to deal with this battery thing in a year!

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:41 pm
RogueProeliator offline

particularly the graphic about scroll latency on mobile devices, is my primary complaint with just about every Android device I've ever used.

Samsung devices are pretty notorious for getting laggy in general as they age, I won't deny that -- and actually that is the primary reason I don't use them.

The article that you linked to refers to scroll latency in the browser, but the two smoothest phones out there (Pixel and Pixel 2) score terribly because they are using Chrome. I love Chrome and use it because of the synchronization, but the performance on mobile is pretty terrible, no denying that. There are alternate browsers out there for mobile that are faster, no doubt about it.

However, when I'm considering purchasing a new device, I want it to feel fast and responsive. I get that with any new Apple hardware. I don't get that with most Android-based stuff I try out.

I think that is a very valid complaint when you are using the default browser - which probably the majority of people will do. Apple has outdone Google on the mobile browsing experience from the beginning. Now, some devices are a bit laggy in the general UI / home screen -- though not the ones I use. Most of it comes down to how "heavy" they make their customizations... which is a shame.

Adam