Milking the Indigo Cow???

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:34 pm
Sharek326 offline

Re: Milking the Indigo Cow???

You show greater restraint then I. He would have been toast after his first rant months ago.

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't have much to add to the conversation here, but I do want to make sure folks (especially new customers) are aware that Indigo has never been a pay-once and get free-updates-for-life product. That is not a feasible business plan for software in a quickly evolving space like home automation. Over the last 13 years we've had 7 major versions and have charged for upgrades for all but one of them. Going forward the subscription model changes a bit when one pays for updates, but the goal is to enable for more timely releases of major new functionality – something that is critical in this quickly evolving space.

Lastly, the home automation space is littered with door stop controllers that can no longer be used from companies that aggressively took on investment capital and weren't able to turn a profit. That growth model can work of course, but it has to be done prudently. We've been in business now over 14 years, and we plan on being around for the decades to come. We know your homes depend on Indigo (as do ours)!

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:42 pm
durosity offline

Matt.. I want to register a complaint. How dare you prioritise your financial situation over ours? Frankly this is unacceptable and you should refund every user... plus interest.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:05 pm
FlyingDiver offline

durosity wrote:
Matt.. I want to register a complaint. How dare you prioritise your financial situation over ours? Frankly this is unacceptable and you should refund every user... plus interest.

/slap

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:36 pm
roussell offline

durosity wrote:

I think we all know the future 4th-to-be-banned...

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:46 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Durosity bounces on and off our to-be-banned list several times a day.

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:55 pm
howartp offline

:-D

Posted on
Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:19 pm
durosity offline

matt (support) wrote:
Durosity bounces on and off our to-be-banned list several times a day.

Well if I'm going down you're all coming with me!

(Matt could you be so kind as to give me admin access so I can ban you? Thanks!)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:17 am
sgbirch offline

Rather than milking the cow I think these guys are trying to survive.

Home automation is still a niche area so volumes are not very high by commercial standards. I am very happy with Indigo, it does nearly everything I need and has proven to be extremely reliable over the years. The 7.0 upgrade was very reasonable as is the annual license fee which allows them to keep the improvements coming. Like all of us, they need a flow of money, they can't live on a one off fee for perpetuity. As long as they keep doing work for us (their users) they deserve to be compensated.

There is a world shortage of talented engineers and these guys ARE talented. They deserve an income commensurate with their ability and level of commitment.

I have been using home automation for well over 20 years (starting with X10) and Indigo is by far the best control software I have ever had the pleasure to use. Keep up the great work guys!

Just my 2c.

Posted on
Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:57 pm
mundmc offline

On the off chance anybody is considering Indigo and stumbling across this thread: I'm a pretty passive reader here, though I've asked more than a few questions on the forums since I started Indigo in 2012. EVERY TIME a plugin developer (Perry, kw123, Ben Scholnick, and many more) or Matt/Jay has responded. The amount of time their answers has saved me is worth, at present, over a hundred billable hours of me trying to figure something out on my own. The subscription cost is modest. Sorry to sound like a sycophantic fan boy, but my house and I talk to each other, and I tell it what to do. Can't do that this easily with any other project with this time investment.