Icloud account hacked

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:19 am
gillekes offline

Icloud account hacked

Hi everybody,

I would like to share a very bad experience that happened to me yesterday.
My iCloud account has been hacked. This is, somebody logged into my online iCloud account and locked all my devices ( find my iPhone-mac). I could recover my ios devices immediately because the password for locking these devices has to be entered on activating your device, so you actually know this password. But for my macs this is a whole other story. All my macs are locked and the screen says: Mac locked, contact me on "e-mail address". As this password is entered on the moment you lock the mac from the icloud (because it was stolen, or something) I don,t know the password. I contacted the guy by email, he is Russian, and he is asking me 10$ per device to give me the password...
I don't have a clue how this guy got his hands on my password. It is not even an email address i use (only for icloud...)
Things are in the hands of Apple care know, we'll see.

Keep your security at the highest level! Use two phase authentication, use security questions, change your password frequently... Do it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:52 am
durosity offline

Re: Icloud account hacked

Good advice! Were you using two factor authentication before?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:39 am
gillekes offline

No, unfortunately not. The account was setup years ago and I kind of "forgot" to enhance the security settings...
That's why I decided to post this. Do update your security settings!
I learned it the hard way and it is a pain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:28 pm
simdude offline

Bummer. Two factor is definitely the way to go for everything you can. It does bring up one question though. Some email services like Google have to have a reduced security setting to work with Indigo. Does anyone have advice for improved security for email with Indigo? Also, I assume if you are using the Reflector service, this is better than connecting directly to your Indigo server since you're not opening a port?

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:54 am
roussell offline

So sorry this happened to you! Thanks for letting us know though, it actually prompted me to change mine. I've never changed it in the 10+ years that it's been active. I've thought about it from time to time but never did. It's very strong now and I'll probably forget it, but at least it's secure!!

Terry

Posted on
Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:41 am
freshwuzhere offline

By any chance did you have a jailbroken AppleTV or iphone in your icloud devices? I had someone trying to compromise my icloud account which I think stemmed from jailbreaking an old black Apple TV.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/08/31/keyraider-malware-harvests-225000-apple-ids-from-jailbroken-ios-devices

Page 1 of 1