iCloud hacked

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:53 pm
CliveS offline

Re: iCloud hacked

Same problem with an iPhone 6 battery that needed replacing, booked in to a Premium retailer in Durham, arrived 30 minutes early and was told they can't see me until the time booked. Waited in a coffee shop nearby and no one entered the shop so they had no previous bookings. Went in at the booked time and had to wait for 10 minutes!!, they took one look at the iPhone and said they wanted 260 pounds to change the battery and it would take a week (suspect they send it back to an Apple Store). On the Apple site it states 75 pounds so I walked out and booked a Genius Bar appointment at Gateshead Metrocentre a week later and they change the battery in an hour. Unfortunately they caught a cable and the FaceTime camera stopped working, outcome, they swapped a 2 year old iPhone 6 out for what looked like a brand new one on the outside with a new battery, not bad for 75 pounds.
Moral of story, always go to an Apple Store even if it takes a week or two and steer clear of their Premium retailers.

CliveS

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:21 pm
howartp offline

I've learnt my lesson for next time!

Decided to proceed as it'll be at least 7 days before I can get to Leeds, so I might as well get 7-10 day turnaround and get on with rebuilding Indigo!

No idea how old my backups are; all it does is Indigo and the target storage failed at Xmas so could be start-from-scratch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

howartp wrote:
Windows server of Indigo, Matt/Jay??

Nope, sorry... 8)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 am
durosity offline

Premium resellers don’t have access to any of Apple’s systems or services beyond sales leaflets, etc and the ability to purchase store fittings. And they charge a LOT for the privilege of that.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:50 am
howartp offline

I'm baaack!

Delighted that Apple managed to remove password without any destructive work.

Now to check my backups!

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:53 am
durosity offline

howartp wrote:
I'm baaack!

Delighted that Apple managed to remove password without any destructive work.

Now to check my backups!

And enable 2FA (not that that would protect you here). And change your password to something you don’t use elsewhere like a sysadmin should know to ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:59 am
howartp offline

Already done all that! And my iCloud password was always different. :-)

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:04 am
CliveS offline

Now you can see the difference between Apple "Premium" stores and Apple Stores, The only thing Premium with the resellers is the price. Glad it is all back up and running.

CliveS

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:31 am
durosity offline

CliveS wrote:
Now you can see the difference between Apple "Premium" stores and Apple Stores, The only thing Premium with the resellers is the price. Glad it is all back up and running.

CliveS

Price is seldom different.. and considering how much they have to pay for store interior work (£14k per square meter in 2006) I’d imagine it’d be pretty damn hard to lower your margins to compete

Computer says no.