Couldn't resist...

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Couldn't resist...

Apparently, Comcast is using self-driving cars' need for fast internet access as a justification for ending net-neutrality rules. Can you imagine ANYONE building a self-driving car that requires an internet connection (fast or otherwise) to work? A DDOS attack could end up killing thousands.

Net neutrality rules don't disallow ISPs from signing contracts for delivering QOS provisioning, particularly if those services are entirely contained within their own network. This is just Comcast's way of trying to counter the negative press they (and other ISPs) are getting because of their attempt to kill net neutrality.

:roll:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:57 pm
durosity offline

Couldn't resist...

Insane.. and the problem is the politicians will buy it.. because apparently the internet is a series of tubes.......

That said I’m really looking forward to self driving cars. Actually correction.. im looking forward to self driving cars being mandatory.. because I’m positive the worst drivers are going to be the ones that resist it the hardest... the ones that think the speed limit is optional.. the ones who drill holes in their crappy little corsas to make them sound louder.. the kind that park ICE cars in EV Bays because they’re closer to the shops.. (all of which will be capital offences when I become ruler of the world)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:42 pm
akimball offline

Re: Couldn't resist...

Interesting discussion. Have spent most of this year designing switches for a major Detroit auto-manufacture. Think 8x T1 GbE connections and six 10-GbE connections per switch, and six of these per car. 3 required but 3 more for redundancy. So each switch can handle 68-Gbits of traffic, non-blocking. This is mostly for LIDaR and various cameras...plenty of ultrasonic and radar sensors.

The internet connections are because self driving vehicles need the latest information for roads, conditions, and traffic. But consider also how they are to be used; WE ARE NOT THE END CUSTOMERS. Large companies will manage large fleets of these vehicles to use 10-million of them (by 2022) to pick you up 'uber style' at your home and take you where you need to go. The big car companies and companies like mine are changing the paradigm for driving.... riders won't need to buy a car, won't need to worry about fuel, insurance, maintenance. Just use your smart phone and in 60-seconds your car awaits. That's what is going on. GM, Ford, Tesla....all on board.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:09 am
eme jota ce offline

akimball wrote:
Interesting discussion. Have spent most of this year designing switches for a major Detroit auto-manufacture. Think 8x T1 GbE connections and six 10-GbE connections per switch, and six of these per car. 3 required but 3 more for redundancy. So each switch can handle 68-Gbits of traffic, non-blocking. This is mostly for LIDaR and various cameras...plenty of ultrasonic and radar sensors.

The internet connections are because self driving vehicles need the latest information for roads, conditions, and traffic. But consider also how they are to be used; WE ARE NOT THE END CUSTOMERS. Large companies will manage large fleets of these vehicles to use 10-million of them (by 2022) to pick you up 'uber style' at your home and take you where you need to go. The big car companies and companies like mine are changing the paradigm for driving.... riders won't need to buy a car, won't need to worry about fuel, insurance, maintenance. Just use your smart phone and in 60-seconds your car awaits. That's what is going on. GM, Ford, Tesla....all on board.

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:21 am
akimball offline

You see, it's not that you won't be able to buy one of these cars...you could at a price and probably a heavily subsidized price....the systems in these cars will cost $150,000 dollars initially. That will fall quickly. But to make these cars pay for themselves, the last thing you want is an autonomous car sitting in a garage fully charged. It needs to be out, connected, picking up and delivering busy passengers uber style. This 'fleet model' is what is driving the autonomous revolution.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 am
akimball offline

Back on Jay's point, I believe comcast is going to do what is in it's best financial interest and they need heavy oversight and an un-lobbied un connected congress which is bs i know. The fleet model will be important in large urban areas so comcast knows that it's complicated slick new prioritized systems can get a financial bang for the buck applied to autonomous technology....they don't initially need to extend it out in the countryside.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 am
akimball offline

I don't think youll see cars wheeling over the edge of the LA freeway in a DDoS attack...they really are autonomous. But maybe they won't pick up the next customer.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 am
akimball offline

About the autonomy: Jay is right that the cars aren't being designed so that they depend on the external net to drive. It probably couldn't work that way anyhow. Imagine LIDaR spinning 1000 times per minute, sending this out over the net and receiving real time marching orders to avoid running over fido. Fido wouldn't have a chance. So al of the sensor info must be processed by expensive on-board computers. But another computer gets to be connected to provide fleet controls. This is where comcast may come in. Low bandwidth for sure.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

akimball wrote:
I don't think youll see cars wheeling over the edge of the LA freeway in a DDoS attack...they really are autonomous. But maybe they won't pick up the next customer.

Agreed. But, that kind of data, while perhaps requiring QoS, doesn't necessarily require high-speed. It's not like they're streaming video in order to make decisions about changing lanes. That's my point: high-speed internet being required by cars is just FUD by Comcast in an attempt to sway public opinion.

I also agree that it's less about consumer cars than fleets operated by Uber, etc. But this leads me to another thing net neutrality will protect against: let's say Comcast enters an agreement with Uber. Does Comcast then have the right to throttle communication with, say, Lyft's cars in favor of Uber such that Lyft's cars always arrive a bit later?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Great minds think alike!

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

akimball wrote:
You see, it's not that you won't be able to buy one of these cars...you could at a price and probably a heavily subsidized price....the systems in these cars will cost $150,000 dollars initially. That will fall quickly. But to make these cars pay for themselves, the last thing you want is an autonomous car sitting in a garage fully charged. It needs to be out, connected, picking up and delivering busy passengers uber style. This 'fleet model' is what is driving the autonomous revolution.

Ah, but that's where Uber/Lyft etc. will come in. When you're not using your car, you have them schedule it to run as part of their fleet! You control the schedule of when it's available, etc.

Hmmmm, how about a blended model: you purchase a "limited use" car: a car that's dedicated to you during predefined periods (evenings, weekends, whatever) and the rest of the time it belongs to the fleet. That's an interesting way to get a better car than one might be able to afford purchasing outright because you're only buying a percentage of the car...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 am
johnpolasek offline

jay (support) wrote:
Ah, but that's where Uber/Lyft etc. will come in. When you're not using your car, you have them schedule it to run as part of their fleet! You control the schedule of when it's available, etc.

Hmmmm, how about a blended model: you purchase a "limited use" car: a car that's dedicated to you during predefined periods (evenings, weekends, whatever) and the rest of the time it belongs to the fleet. That's an interesting way to get a better car than one might be able to afford purchasing outright because you're only buying a percentage of the car...

The stickyness there comes in on who pays for the fuel (or electricity) and/or how are you assured that when your scheduled time comes up, the car's not returned to you with dry tanks or a dead battery pack when you've got 10 minutes to get to a meeting across town?

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:54 am
akimball offline

Agreed. But, that kind of data, while perhaps requiring QoS, doesn't necessarily require high-speed. It's not like they're streaming video in order to make decisions about changing lanes. That's my point: high-speed internet being required by cars is just FUD by Comcast in an attempt to sway public opinion.

I also agree that it's less about consumer cars than fleets operated by Uber, etc. But this leads me to another thing net neutrality will protect against: let's say Comcast enters an agreement with Uber. Does Comcast then have the right to throttle communication with, say, Lyft's cars in favor of Uber such that Lyft's cars always arrive a bit later?

Hm, not sure what happened to my earlier reply... quickly retyping a shorter version:

Jay, I think you're right and in the case of comcast it could be the fox watching the hen house... in a dual sense. Comcast deciding who to give the bandwidth to, and congress and regulatory agencies deciding who to give the wink and nod treatment when it comes to not really regulating or over-seeing. I'm not normally for government regulation but I don't trust comcast either.

I also wanted to mention that the bandwidth could actually be very significant. Not from the automobile, but from the laptop browsing passengers who suddenly are finding themselves with time to browse and get work done... perhaps a webex session? And what if they fleet managed model includes ride-sharing? Where you have 3 or 4 passengers who aren't associated with each other and who will ALL have their nose buried in their laptops browsing at high speed just to avoid eye-contact with each other. Ah yes, there's your bandwidth hogs right there. :)

And yes great minds think alike.

I like your suggestion have enslaving your automobile to pay for itself while you spend your time with other pursuits. Others may like this too... because one of the fleet-model characteristics that most people will love is not having to fuel, insure, maintain, (clean, oil, etc) the car. I've been wondering how the fleet cars will handle intentional damage... teens get in, car senses they teens are carving their initials into the armrest... doors lock and car drives itself to police station... ? lol. Much to consider. At least a true Uber model has an invested driver to watch over the car.

I digress. Maybe comcast is planning for more bandwidth just from surfing passengers?
Last edited by akimball on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 am
akimball offline

The stickyness there comes in on who pays for the fuel (or electricity) and/or how are you assured that when your scheduled time comes up, the car's not returned to you with dry tanks or a dead battery pack when you've got 10 minutes to get to a meeting across town?

I can think of workarounds for this... the car is a smart car. There is a Tesla competitor right now who says their batteries can be charged in minutes (capacitor batteries... not lithium). I forget the name.

One correction I want to make; earlier I stated that Tesla had "signed on" to the fleet model. I should have said that Tesla has "signed on" to NOT supporting the fleet model. Why? Because tesla's need to look cool and LIDaR does not make this happen. Besides, LIDaR is very expensive currently. Tesla needs it to be cheaper. This is why Tesla will be a level 3/4 autonomous vehicle and not a level 5 vehicle. Level 3 requires a driver nearby. Level 4 still needs a driver close by but usually not required. Level 5 is no human required anywhere in the vehicle at all.

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/thebir ... ution.aspx

-Al

Posted on
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:23 pm
Gusten offline

I would recommend you to watch this https://youtu.be/2b3ttqYDwF0

Really interesting and he shows with numbers why there will be level 5 ev in a few years and why the ICE will die