Another Home Remote – A Unique GUI Option for Indigo?

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:06 pm
chobo offline

Another Home Remote – A Unique GUI Option for Indigo?

All,

I just discovered another "Home Remote" while searching for some GUI options that integrate disparate systems. It looks like quite an interesting and flexible tool.

While it doesn't support Indigo out of the box, it does offer a HTTP device option that might be a place to experiment. Does anyone have first hand experience using the Windows only designer and iOS app? If so, please share your thoughts!

Learn more here: http://thehomeremote.com

|chobo997

Posted on
Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:23 pm
roussell offline

Re: Another Home Remote – A Unique GUI Option for Indigo?

Nice find, thanks for posting. It sort of reminds me of CommandFusion, just much cheaper!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:12 pm
chobo offline

roussell wrote:
Nice find, thanks for posting. It sort of reminds me of CommandFusion, just much cheaper!!

My thoughts exactly, Roussell. Explored CommandFusion years ago. It's extremely flexible, but requires a great deal of work to get it perfect.

I emailed the developer and pointed him to this thread. Indigo users interested: please chime in so we can gauge interest for the developer.

Thx!

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:29 pm
peteinau offline

I'd been keen for an iOS app that I can completely configure that talks to Indigo! +1

Posted on
Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:10 pm
DaveL17 offline

Looks promising, but it seems like it requires the desktop designer to use the HTTP device type. I don't do Windows, so it looks like I won't be able to try it.

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:38 am
howartp offline

Looks good, and the designer UI looks like it should be good.

However I've fallen at the first hurdle with the designer - I can't work out how to get any super advanced features that nobody will ever need - like making a button "do" something when clicked - to actually work...! (This is with HTTP devices, ie what Indigo will have to use for now)

I'll keep playing later on.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:02 am
Different Computers offline

I'd give it a try if it had a Mac OS design environment app. But I'm reasonably satisfied with the Control Pages I have.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:42 am
roussell offline

I loaded the designer in a VirtualBox Windows 7 session. It looks nice, but not very intuitive. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to set a background image. I only spent about 15 minutes playing before I had to go mow the lawn (gotta keep the HOA senior citizens and their measuring tapes out of my yard) but was a little discouraged I couldn't do something that simple. I did like the ability to add all the sonos and hue stuff in just a few minutes though. I see they have Homeseer integration, but not Indigo... Perhaps the devs will see the error of their ways and add support for a proper HA system!!

Terry

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:44 am
howartp offline

Took me a while to work out you gotta create a Page Group first, then put a Page in it, before you can start with the obvious stuff!

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:49 am
roussell offline

howartp wrote:
Took me a while to work out you gotta create a Page Group first, then put a Page in it, before you can start with the obvious stuff!

Heh. Yeh I got that far, and was able to add buttons, images, web pages, etc.; just couldn't do anything with the main full-screen background. I became obsessed with it and didn't care if I could use the app to launch nukes because I couldn't change the background LOL!

I'll probably play again later today. I haven't yet looked to see if an API is available that would allow for one to create tighter Indigo integration, or if we're at the mercy of the developer.

Terry

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:04 am
howartp offline

I've got a working dummy copy with Indigo querying the state of my study fan, and updating the state every 5 seconds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slv8zjqvmfyd7 ... d.zip?dl=1

You need a HTTP Client device with:
URI set to http://User:Pass@YourIP:8176 (note - this DOES use Digest authentication, even though it's written in Basic authentication URL format)
StatusRequest Method set to GET,
StatusRequest URI set to /devices/Device%20Name.xml
StatusRequest ContentType set to text/xml

Then under that, create variables. I've got one to display the raw XML, one to display the OnState and one to display the lastChangedTimeStr:

Type: HTTP Client Variable (or HTTPVariable once you created it - it displays different type)
Method: GET
StatusSource: StatusRequest (this uses the parent HTTP Client's source XML)
StatusPath: /device/isOn/text() - this stores the text portion of the /device/isOn XML that was returned

Then create a label with TextVariable set to the HTTP Client variable you just created.

Have a play from there. :)

Peter

Page 1 of 1