Cynical SecurtiySpy Plugin and Axis PTZ Cameras...

Posted on
Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:14 am
zeigh offline

Cynical SecurtiySpy Plugin and Axis PTZ Cameras...

Is anyone using the Cynical SecurtiySpy plugin with Axis PTZ cameras? Any feedback?

Does anyone know of any limitations with this plugin verses the Axis s P8221 I/O module and web server (that essentially does the same thing for $350)?

I have known of this plugin for a few years but didn’t need it’s functionality until just recently. HA, I also almost purchased the Axis I/O unit before I remembered about the plugin. Wow, the features open up so many possibilities!

Peace,
Dr. Z.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Posted on
Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:11 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Cynical SecurtiySpy Plugin and Axis PTZ Cameras...

Don't use the plugin, but damn those Axis cameras are robust. Love the one I have.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:58 pm
zeigh offline

Re: Cynical SecurtiySpy Plugin and Axis PTZ Cameras...

I mentioned this same phrase in another post here, but concerning CCTV cameras, "you get what you pay for". Over the past 15 years I have either purchased or been loaned for testing a good portion of what the industry offers in analog and network cameras. Living in the Phoenix, Arizona area also offers outdoor heat extremes that have made such testing challenging. Most of the early analog cameras didn't last a year before their CCD chip was burned in with the intense sunlight or just simply stopped working altogether. The early network cameras all seemed to have some quirk with communicating reliably. Every Axis model that I have gotten my hands on is essentially bombproof by comparison. An Axis PTZ model that I put into service in 2009 is still functioning perfectly.

Yes, I could buy other network cameras at half the cost of what Axis units go for, but the reliability and longevity are worth every penny to me. HA, and I am just an old fart techno geek. It is not like I have an illegal marijuana crop or some government secret that I am trying to protect from intruders!

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Page 1 of 1