ODB II integration, Automatic

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:22 pm
Sleepy81 offline

ODB II integration, Automatic

I was thinking it would be nice if Indigo integrated better with the cars people drive.
Did some googling, and found this: http://www.automatic.com
It is a small $100 device you can plug into the cars ODB II port, and it can send a bunch of info regarding the car. It is already integrated with IFTTT, but since Indigo does not work with IFTTT, then a plugin is needed. On the website there is developer documentation for integrating it to other applications. https://developer.automatic.com

I am absolutely incapable of making a plugin, but i see that it can use web hooks, and support GET/POST functions, which I at least have heard of before :) I know the beacon plugin uses similar functions, and that´s why I think this could be integrated into Indigo as well. How easy or hard it is, I have no clue about... :)

So if anybody sees the use for this, it would be awesome if somebody would integrate this into Indigo.

Then one could open close garage doors and house based on car location, lower or raise house temperatures based on car distance from the house, notification if car is moved when it´s not supposed to (i.e stolen), log fuel use/mpg,trips automatically to the home server, and probably a lot of other things I probably haven´t thought of.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:57 pm
durosity offline

Re: ODB II integration, Automatic

That would be pretty cool!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:47 pm
howartp offline

App not available in UK App Store. :-(

Looks like my Peugeot has one though so should still work with IFTTT or the API.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm
durosity offline

howartp wrote:
App not available in UK App Store. :-(

Looks like my Peugeot has one though so should still work with IFTTT or the API.

I don't think any Peugeots were supported anyway according to their website. And lets face it.. if it's a Peugeot you'd be better leaving that port free for when it needs to go to the garage.. every second day* ;)

Just a shame that M&J haven't been able to get IFTTT to open up to them. Although in all fairness IoT isn't exactly their favourite topic.. and they do have bigger fish to fry.

*my first car was a Peugeot 406.. such a comfortable car, i loved the way the french basically take an extremely comfortable chair and build a "car" around it... but seriously that thing was unreliable.. the horn would often toot itself when going around round abouts too fast.. or too slowly!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:27 pm
berkinet offline

Well, I just ordered one. I will try it in a Mini and, sorry about this, a Peugeot (2003 model 206). If it seems to produce useful data, I will have a go at a plugin.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:35 pm
roussell offline

I have a friend with a Mini (also an Indigo user, but not on the forums) and he really enjoys his Automatic.

In a former life I used to build these types of devices for school busses and Caterpillar haul trucks. The Cat's were fun, over 7000 data points available, all the way down to how much/fast the shock absorbers were moving. I used that data in particular to form a real time metric of how well the roads in a coal mine were fairing. If the shocks started moving around too much I knew the roads were in need of grading and could automatically dispatch road graders using the GPS location of the haul trucks when the conditions were detected.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:49 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I have a friend with a Mini (also an Indigo user, but not on the forums) and he really enjoys his Automatic.

They allow those in the Deep South? I'm fairly certain here we call those "go-carts" or "bumper cars." :|

Seriously, though, this sounds fairly interesting -- I had looked into the possibility of integrating with OnStar to read my vehicle diagnostics, but they pretty much didn't allow individual developer access nor make it easy. This might be a good "second best" option... I have a bluetooth ODBII reader, never thought of trying to integrate that via the phone like this does...

Only thing I'm not 100% sure on is whether or not I want my driving info up on the web... not sure why, exactly, just feels wrong.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:32 pm
gregjsmith offline

I had one. It unfortunately didn't completely work with my truck so I had to return it. But what it did do was nice.

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:01 am
howartp offline

berkinet wrote:
Well, I just ordered one. I will try it in a Mini and, sorry about this, a Peugeot (2003 model 206). If it seems to produce useful data, I will have a go at a plugin.

Great - mines a Partner Tepee. (I'm 30 and single, moving more cargo than personnel, so I go for the van-style vehicles such as Renault Kangoo and the Tepee)

roussell wrote:
If the shocks started moving around too much I knew the roads were in need of grading and could automatically dispatch road graders using the GPS location of the haul trucks when the conditions were detected.

That's awesome!

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:31 am
durosity offline

The more I think about this the more I think it's a truly awesome idea. I'll be very interested to see what berkinets experience with it is! Of course I'm not even sure if my car would work with it being an electric car.. But if it did, getting charge levels and estimated current range would be brill!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:29 am
Sleepy81 offline

They claim that it support most cars produced in 1996 or later.
And they have a "compatibility checker" here: https://www.automatic.com/cars/

Seams that it also support some electric cars also. I have a new VW e-Golf, and they claim it is supported, however since it is electric the MPG calculation won´t work like a gas/diesel car of course.

I am also interested to see berkinets experience with this. If it is good, and it looks like a plugin is in the works I will also order one.
Last edited by Sleepy81 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 am
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
They allow those in the Deep South? I'm fairly certain here we call those "go-carts" or "bumper cars." :|

Ha! Yeah I used to have a F350 4x4 diesel and when washing it my friends would ask if it was hard to remove the Minis, Fiats and Smart cars stuck in the grill. :lol: When diesel hit $4/gallon (I know that's still cheap compared to you guys not in the US, but it sucked here in Bama) I had to say goodbye to that and now drive a sedan.

Since I do have a background in these types devices, I've thought about building my own using an raspberry pi and tethering to my phone or the car's wifi for communication back to the mother ship. The "base" obdii info is free, most manufacturers have an extended set of codes that are specific to the manufacturer and vehicle. It usually costs to get that info so I don't know how useful just the base set of information would be to me. I think it would be more interesting to tie into the car's CANbus and get access to much more info and control (radio, cruise control, windows, locks, sunroof, etc. - depending on the vehicle)

Terry

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:29 am
gregjsmith offline

roussell wrote:
I think it would be more interesting to tie into the car's CANbus and get access to much more info and control (radio, cruise control, windows, locks, sunroof, etc. - depending on the vehicle)

See also: http://www.wired.com/2015/03/60-gadget- ... sier-ever/

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:43 pm
DaveL17 offline

Also google "Hack the I-Bus". (BMW)

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:31 pm
Sleepy81 offline

Berkinet, have you tested the automatic device yet? Found anything interesting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk