Voice control integration with Indigo / Raspberry Pi

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:23 pm
HBRuss offline

Voice control integration with Indigo / Raspberry Pi

Stumbled across this, seems like it might be easy(ish) to integrate with Indigo? Granted I'm not smart enough to do it myself so I was just curious if some of the smart people here could weigh in on it...

http://jasperproject.github.io/

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:55 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Voice control integration with Indigo / Raspberry Pi

Wow, you just cost me about 30 minutes of reading that site... :-) looks very interesting, though setup isn't quite as easy as it would first seem if you read through the documentation. The Speech-to-Text and Text-to-Speech engines must be downloaded and configured separately from the main app, but otherwise is straight forward. It would take writing a module for it in order to pass along commands to Indigo, but that is definitely doable.

I haven't looked at the licenses, but this could be an interesting project for someone to build and sell as a plug-and-play system to integrate with Indigo. MOST open source software allows you to charge a fee for configuration/distribution, so most likely it would be legitimate. I wonder how many people would be interested. Probably wouldn't make a lot of money, but might could get one free unit out of it or something.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:45 pm
HBRuss offline

I've already got the software up and running on my Pi, wasn't horrible. But yes it's more than a 30 minute job. But beyond the demo / baked functionality is where my expertise stops.

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:16 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Yeah, I didn't think it would be horrible, but it didn't seem super intuitive to setup either - which speech-to-text engine did you use?

I think the "magic" where people would need it to be plug-and-play would be getting it to properly recognize and send commands to Indigo. Honestly, SENDING them isn't that bad, but properly recognizing the grammar and devices would be more of a challenge. It looked like their default word recognition would need some tweaking as it is designed for a smaller vocabulary and it would need to accurately determine which device you wanted to act upon. Not the end of the world, just... challenging.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:42 pm
HBRuss offline

I used Wit.ai for STT.

Personally, just sending commands and *some* form of ack would be great. Doesn't have to be spoken. Could just be a beep. The ability to use voice in the house to execute actions is huge.

Page 1 of 1