Has anyone done anything with Indigo and Arlo cameras

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:04 am
norcoscia offline

Has anyone done anything with Indigo and Arlo cameras

I have a mix of different cameras - in places where running cables is really hard I have Arlo cameras set up. I have been using email and stringify (like IFTTT) to integrate with Indigo - but lately that process has become less than reliable. Has any INDIGO user done any control of Arlo cameras within Indigo ?

I noticed some work on GitHub but I'm not a programmer so impossible for me to leverage any of it.

https://github.com/jeffreydwalter/arlo

Please let me know if anything is available , thx in advance....

Norm

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 pm
spiv offline

Re: Has anyone done anything with Indigo and Arlo cameras

This won't help directly with existing Arlo cameras, but at CEDIA 2017 I saw a new product line from NetGear called FlexPower cameras.

These are new battery powered cameras that physically use the Arlo enclosure, but are completely different internally.

The key thing is they support ONVIF so they should integrate with any existing software than can drive ONVIF cameras.

The system consists of a base station which supports several wireless/battery cameras. The base station presents itself to the host as an ONVIF camera so the system handles all the issues of making a battery camera controlled via ONVIF while still being battery operated and motion activated to save power.

If it works as described, going forward this would be the ideal product to use in place of Arlo when integration with Indigo, SecuritySpy, etc is desired.

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 am
bkmar1192 offline

If the Arlo camera supports jpeg over html you can use the Security Camera plugin. Provides viewing, recording, and motion detection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:15 am
norcoscia offline

Unfortunately no jpeg support, bkmar1192,

spiv - those sound interesting, thx for the info :D

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:17 am
Different Computers offline

Aren't Arlos cloud based only? I think I looked at them to see if I could use them and couldn't find any info on local access to their stream/feed/RTSP/mjpg.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 am
norcoscia offline

Yes, they use a propriety encoding format but there is an API that will allow you to configure them, enable and disable them and I believe get motion alerts from them. Which is all I really want anyway since the camera themselves work pretty good.

The nice part is not needing power - each camera battery has been lasting me about 5 months and they are rechargeable. Since I have a power outlet by one of them I have that one hooked up to power full time.

If it was not such a pain to run hardwired ethernet and power to all of my locations I would go with that - but, with the wireless and battery capability I can set up a camera anywhere in a few min.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:36 am
norcoscia offline

O - I forgot - the video is stored in the cloud but a copy is also maintained on an SD card in the basestation (if desired). Best part is no subscription fee for up to 5 cameras and they store the video in the cloud for 7 days (SD card is forever) and if I remember correctly the SD card is FIFO)....

PS and good night vision.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:56 am

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Is there a remote method of getting images off the card?

The cloud thing kills it for me, as I have a 0.8 Mbps uplink on my craptastic DSL.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:06 am
norcoscia offline

Nope - if you want to pull the video from the card it must be done manually - but, like I mentioned, it is first in first out (FIFO) so it just overwrites the old data - I think I put a huge SD card in it so it will hold a few years worth of data before anything get overwritten.

.8 Mbs - that is rough - I guess no cable in your area?

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 am

I live 250+ yards as the wire travels from the street. Comcast offered to move a substation onto my property and install a new digital-ready line for the approximate price of $2000.

When I asked again a year ago, they just said "service is not available."

Seriously considering if I can put a couple of Unifi M2 PTP wifi bridges in place to and from my neighbor's place, but there are a lot of trees in the way. Plus the neighbor to convince!

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:03 pm
kw123 offline

The price for living in a nice place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:52 pm
spiv offline

norcoscia wrote:
Unfortunately no jpeg support, bkmar1192,

spiv - those sound interesting, thx for the info :D

The key to the new cameras that NetGear was showing:

Battery friendly - the whole point of their "base station" doing the ONVIF is to expose a "virtual ONVIF camera" device to the host software/app that is always online, but the Netgear basestation handles determining when to actually wake-up the camera. And I assume it handles motion alerts from the cameras and coordinates that interface.

Hacker/Integrator friendly - everything is ONVIF based not requiring any cloud or internet services

Uses existing Arlo physical package - so all existing weather resistant, weather proof, or 3rd party physical mounting/enclosures should work.

Again, YMMV, and until they ship don't really know how well the concept translates to a reliable, usable product, but I would love to try them out with SecuritySpy and the Indigo Plug-in that I am already using.

Page 1 of 1