Scaring away a Heron

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:58 am
petematheson offline

Scaring away a Heron

So ! My Dad has an issue with a Heron, and here I am trying to think of a way to detect, and scare away a Heron when it lands in his pond.

Any suggestions on the lost accurate way to do this? I thought maybe something like a sensor that if something breaks it's line of sight for more than x seconds, then blast something from an outdoor speaker - something of the sort!

Ideas gladly received :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:23 am
jalves offline

Re: Scaring away a Heron

Not sure how you would differentiate between a Heron and anything else that a trigger might detect.

A camera with motion detection perhaps with a mask so that it only detects motion in the specific area? Once you figure that out it should be trivial to connect a speaker to play a sound, but that might not be enough to bother the Heron. I know the ones around the pond in my back yard aren't particularly bothered by loud noises.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:22 pm
IndigoSam offline

Attach RFID tag to the Heron.

Sam.

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:29 pm
roussell offline

What is a Heron's natural predator? Alligator? Snake? Maybe some type of decoy in the water to keep it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:01 am
howartp offline

IndigoSam wrote:
Attach RFID tag to the Heron.

Sam.

:-)

Posted on
Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:17 am
Different Computers offline

I'm a little skeptical of the heron's continued avoidance of a sound. they aren't dumb, and after flying off 5 times when a loud noise happens, they might start figuring it out.

This however:

will keep working. Your only problem is if there's regular traffic from dogs, parents, or others you don't want sprayed. I guess Indigo could control the valve that from the spigot to the sprayer, but those Zwave/Insteon water shutoff valves are expensive!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:19 am
durosity offline

Does Herron taste good? Might have an idea for you for xmas dinner...

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:42 am
aderrington offline

I use one of those cat water sprayers that "Different Computers" linked to.
I swapped the 9v battery inside it to a 9v transformer that is controlled from a Fibaro relay module. It stays powered until any of our back doors are opened and stays off until 30 mins after they are closed (we usually leave the doors open if we're outside)
Hope that helps.

Posted on
Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:14 am
Different Computers offline

aderrington wrote:
I use one of those cat water sprayers that "Different Computers" linked to.
I swapped the 9v battery inside it to a 9v transformer that is controlled from a Fibaro relay module. It stays powered until any of our back doors are opened and stays off until 30 mins after they are closed (we usually leave the doors open if we're outside)

That is a GREAT idea!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:59 am
petematheson offline

Really good idea and that's what we've gone with for now actually!
Haven't got to hooking up the automation part and my sister got soaked earlier this week... Maybe I'll leave it as it is

Page 1 of 1