How Can I Trigger a Switch on a Circuit Board

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 am
Bollar offline

How Can I Trigger a Switch on a Circuit Board

I got a Robomow RS630. It does a great job mowing, but has no API or way to attach it to an HA system. However, it does have a power box that has status lights and a single button that can be pushed to toggle a mowing pause on / off.

In other projects, I have had success using an Insteon IO Linc and jumpers on either side of the switch to close the circuit (this had worked great with gate opener transmitters). In this control box, it seems the switch is normally CLOSED, so I don't know how I can break the circuit without replacing the switch, or perhaps using a physical relay/actuator to push the existing switch on the board.

Any ideas?

If I can figure this out, I can have the mower stay docked when the sprinklers are on, it's raining, or we're simply playing in the yard.
Attachments
IMG_1003.jpg
Robomow Circuit Board - Switch is top right
IMG_1003.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 2643 times

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 8:28 am
Different Computers offline

Re: How Can I Trigger a Switch on a Circuit Board

I don't have an answer for you, but I have to admire someone willing to hack a $2100 piece of hardware! I imagine that will void the warranty too.

I think I would put a wireless webcam on top of it. And see if I could make it chase the deer out of my garden! :)

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 8:34 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Different Computers wrote:
I think I would put a wireless webcam on top of it. And see if I could make it chase the deer out of my garden!

Oh man that would be awesome!

When I first saw this my thought was "I would build an Arduino device with Insteon support", other than that I can't think of a great way to hack that mower. Doing an Arduino wouldn't be difficult but the prototypes would be a little bulky until you were ready to print your final circuit board and solder it all up.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 8:41 am
Bollar offline

Different Computers wrote:
I don't have an answer for you, but I have to admire someone willing to hack a $2100 piece of hardware! I imagine that will void the warranty too.

I think I would put a wireless webcam on top of it. And see if I could make it chase the deer out of my garden! :)

Ha!

This box powers the perimeter wire that keeps the mower inside the yard. it's a $100 part that never touches the mower (and it's a spare), so the stakes are quite a bit lower.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 1:18 pm
kw123 offline

You could add a relay in SERIES to the existing switch. The default state is both closed
Then one can activate the system by going open.

AS for the driving part. It depends on how much current if it's just electronics you could use arduino with optocoupler or added relay. And many other solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:42 am
Bollar offline

It seems like the simplest solution will be to have a solenoid push the button (which could even be strapped to the outside of the weatherproof box). I assume I could do this with an Insteon IO Linc (and I now have two spare ones since I replaced my garage door openers) plus some additional parts (solenoid plus a power supply?). Does anyone want to suggest a parts list? The solenoid's throw probably doesn't need to be more than 2-3 mm.

And while we're being so fancy, I could probably glue a light sensor over the box's on/off LED and send that back through the IO Linc. If you have a suggestion on how to do that, it would also be appreciated.

Posted on
Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:22 pm
RAID5 offline

Try removing the power cord to the charger, I don't have the same brand but mine start when I simply unplug the power. If it works then you can put any remote controlled switch you prefer to do the job.

/RAID5
Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"

Page 1 of 1