Water shutoff valve control

Posted on
Mon May 16, 2016 3:53 am
Shutter offline

Water shutoff valve control

Down the rabbit hole I go…

So, I setup my new Aeon Labs Water Sensor to detect any water leaks behind the washing machine, primarily at the connection to the water pipe that I'm most worried about. Then setup a audio notification to announce any leak with instructions on where to shut off the water, in case a guest is in the house.

So far so good. But of course I now want to automate the shutting off of the main water pipe into the house. My stopcock is under the sink with enough space to install a Surestop for ease of use (not motorised but why not make it easier anyway) and a motorised valve. I've looked at the Popp Flow Stop Gas/Water Shut-off Controller, which seems like it will do the job. For starters though Indigo might not support the device. Now I'm looking at motorised shutoff valves that just fit in-between the pipework, which is probably more robust. I'm guessing some would allow one to connect a Z-Wave device (Fibaro Universal Sensor or Relay) to the motor to then control it with Indigo. Anyone tried this, care to share?

I might add that this is somewhat specific to the UK, in that any motorised Z-Wave valves that already exist don't appear to be available for the EU frequency. (Not interested in the Fortrezz Water Valve at £350).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Simon

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2016 1:24 am
Shutter offline

Re: Water shutoff valve control

Been thinking, now that I've used associations for the first time for a couple of light switches.

The easiest is instal is the Popp Flow Stop Gas/Water Shut-off Controller, seeing as it's a retrofit without the need to alter the pipework. Let just say Indigo doesn't have full support, seeing as it's a simple motor it might just work out of the box though. But either way, do associations work regardless of full Indigo support? Could I not just associate the water leak sensor to close the valve via association?

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2016 7:03 am
durosity offline

Re: Water shutoff valve control

I'm sure someone already said they had the popp unit working in indigo. I can't seem to find that post now though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1