Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:38 pm
virgahyatt offline

Re: Looking For DD-WRT Capable Router Recommendations

When setting up a roaming network (where the Access Points are connected via ethernet) each AP should be using it's own channel to avoid interference with the other APs. I would try and stick to channels 1, 6, and 11 as they are the only ones that don't overlap another channel. Personally, I avoid using 2.4 at all anymore, especially if I'm setting up a network in a densely populated area. It's usually too saturated. The only drawback is that 5ghz doesn't have the penetration power 2.4 does so sometimes we have to setup a couple more APs. But you get more bandwidth, especially with the new .11ac protocol.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:31 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I'm using a v4 controller. The 'v4' at the end of the create of the Controller object tells it to use v4 rather than v3. I'll admit that took me a while to figure out!

What version of it, though? I have v4.7.6 and it does not work for me even with the version switch in place -- and I found plenty of others saying the same thing. The release notes state that there may be breaking API changes and it is believed that they finally retired the v3 API that has been depreciated; that is what the controller you are using was accessing even with the v4 switch in there.

Someone has come up with a PHP based API explorer, though, so I plan on installing that to visualize the available requests and data.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:37 pm
RogueProeliator offline

When setting up a roaming network (where the Access Points are connected via ethernet) each AP should be using it's own channel to avoid interference with the other APs.

That is only true if you are relying on the client devices to controller their connected AP... when you setup a zero-handoff group they all must be set to the same channel and the AP hardware determines which AP the clients should connect with. This is what makes the magic happen - to the client device it is basically not having to re-scan for frequencies when it gets low on connection and thus the handoff is MUCH faster.

I actually did extensive tests before implementing these with the various methods to allow roaming of APs... including different SSIDs for full-on different networks, same SSID on two APs with different channels and a DD-WRT in an extension mode. Nothing worked seamlessly except the Ubiquiti solution.

Obviously, though, your devices in use, the layout of your house and APs, etc. all affect what the best solution is for each individual.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:10 pm
edwazere offline

What version of it, though?

Just checked, 4.7.6. Interesting!
Still working *touch wood*.

The Zero Handoff stuff will probably work fine in most homes, but I just wanted to flag up that it's not a cure all, and it has some shortcomings.

Ed.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:05 pm
Korey offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
When setting up a roaming network (where the Access Points are connected via ethernet) each AP should be using it's own channel to avoid interference with the other APs.

That is only true if you are relying on the client devices to controller their connected AP... when you setup a zero-handoff group they all must be set to the same channel and the AP hardware determines which AP the clients should connect with. This is what makes the magic happen - to the client device it is basically not having to re-scan for frequencies when it gets low on connection and thus the handoff is MUCH faster.

I actually did extensive tests before implementing these with the various methods to allow roaming of APs... including different SSIDs for full-on different networks, same SSID on two APs with different channels and a DD-WRT in an extension mode. Nothing worked seamlessly except the Ubiquiti solution.

Obviously, though, your devices in use, the layout of your house and APs, etc. all affect what the best solution is for each individual.

What APs are you using? I have Unifi ACs and thought that ZHO was not even functional with these units? I am running 4.7.6 as well.

Guess i'll poke around in the controller and see ;)

--
Korey

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:06 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Just checked, 4.7.6. Interesting!

Very interesting... multiple people were reporting on GitHub and their forums that the library you reference was no longer working... and my error matched theirs. I wonder if there is a difference in having upgraded versus fresh install or having had a certain past version installed or something. Hmm, or maybe even a permissions issue whose default was changed or only manifested itself in certain versions. Or a big coincidence (since Ubiquiti isn't very helpful on the API front) Or even platform specific. Now I'm very curious...

Is your controller on the same computer or a difference computer than your Indigo server where the script is running? Mine is running on a Linux (Debian) box separate, obviously, from Indigo.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:49 pm
edwazere offline

Is your controller on the same computer or a difference computer than your Indigo server where the script is running? Mine is running on a Linux (Debian) box separate, obviously, from Indigo.

Mine's running on a Ubuntu Server VM, I don't think it's a particularly old VM, so don't think it's been upgraded from 3.

My Indigo server is ancient, running snow leopard if that makes any difference. Python 2.6.1.

Don't know if you want to take this to another thread if I can help to narrow down what doesn't work?

Cheers,
Ed.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:57 pm
RogueProeliator offline

What APs are you using? I have Unifi ACs and thought that ZHO was not even functional with these units? I am running 4.7.6 as well.

I did not go with the AC due to the lack of handoff and, maybe more importantly - I really don't need the extra speed. Few devices actually take advantage of that extra speed in real use assuming your heavy lifters (e.g. Rokus / consoles / other streamers) are hard wired. I preferred the blanket coverage instead. I have a couple of the N version and one long range N version.

Posted on
Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 pm
lalisingh offline

As much as I use Ubiquity radios for long haul wireless links - love them - For routers and AP's I prefer Mikrotik.

The scripting capability on these router is pretty neat to integrate with Indigo.

Some of the feature and integration I have done include:

- Monitoring up/down status of DHCP leased devices to Indigo. So knowing when my IOS device is at home becomes super easy.

- Reporting connected client to an AP to indigo

- Setting up simple queues so that bandwidth can be managed. Keeps watching video from hogging the internet.

- A LAN wide time server.

- DDNS update

- Powerful VPN server with rules for auto blacklist IP's on the fly

- Super powerful failover in a dual or triple WAN provider scenario.

- Reporting rogue DHCP servers.

- Forcing all LAN client to use router's DNS

- Built in tools for checking bandwidth from AP's back to the router

- Till we get true zero handoff, being able to set radio strength on the AP and drop clients when signal drops below threshold is super useful.

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:42 am
DaveL17 offline

edwazere wrote:
Don't know if you want to take this to another thread if I can help to narrow down what doesn't work?

Cheers,
Ed.

Please don't worry about hijacking--this is all good information! I am considering changing the title of the thread though, since most of it has nothing to do with DD-WRT any longer.

I think that a thread on using "enterprise" networking tools is incredibly useful.

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:47 am
DaveL17 offline

lalisingh wrote:
As much as I use Ubiquity radios for long haul wireless links - love them - For routers and AP's I prefer Mikrotik.

I hadn't really considered the Mikrotik line up, but I can clearly see why you would like it.

My "needs" are evolving, but the original needs are still there. That is, to be able to monitor LAN traffic and gain a higher level of control over data usage. Clearly the Mikrotik can do that stuff. I'm intrigued by the scripting capabilities (naturally) and the API. Need to read up on that some more.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, so there's time to change my mind. :)

Dave

Posted on
Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:48 pm
CamCom offline

It seems that all you need is QOS (quality of service) functionality in your router, and you may not need all the bells and whistles (and sometimes hassles of DDWRT). All ASUS router that run the ASUSWRT stock firmware have QOS controls and you can easily upgrade to ASUSWRT-merlin for even greater control.

I personally recommend the AC-68U which is relatively affordable and has plenty of power. If you're set on DDWRT, here's a good list of options to get you started: DDWRT and ASUSWRT compatible routers

Another perk of the ASUS family of routers is they are some of the most widely compatible with third party firmware and as far as I know they are all (or almost all) supported by DDWRT, ASUSWRT-Merlin and TomatoUSB

Posted on
Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 pm
DaveL17 offline

CamCom wrote:
It seems that all you need is QOS (quality of service) functionality in your router, and you may not need all the bells and whistles (and sometimes hassles of DDWRT). All ASUS router that run the ASUSWRT stock firmware have QOS controls and you can easily upgrade to ASUSWRT-merlin for even greater control.

I personally recommend the AC-68U which is relatively affordable and has plenty of power. If you're set on DDWRT, here's a good list of options to get you started: DDWRT and ASUSWRT compatible routers

Another perk of the ASUS family of routers is they are some of the most widely compatible with third party firmware and as far as I know they are all (or almost all) supported by DDWRT, ASUSWRT-Merlin and TomatoUSB

Thanks so much for following up on this thread and for your advice. I should add a note of apology since I have actually pulled the trigger on new hardware and should've come back to report that (I'm sure that other users will find your information to be helpful!)

I went with a Ubiquiti POE-5 EdgeRouter, and a Unifi AP-AC-Lite (POE) access point. My experience has been phenomenal. I should come clean by saying that there was a bug in a firmware version for the router that caused my WAN IP to drop which could only be reconciled through manual renew (a PITA honestly). But the UBNT folks couldn't have been better in trying to figure out the problem. The latest firmware v1.8.5 of EdgeOS appears to have cleared the error entirely. I would recommend UBNT stuff, and would recommend Unifi stuff to folks that want a more plug-and-play experience.

Thanks again.
Dave

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:58 pm
DaveL17 offline

For those that have an UBNT Edge Router, how have you handled WAN access to your Indigo Server? I haven't been able to get direct access (through the Indigo client) since installing my new router so I'm unable to connect (I suspect that it's because I need to expressly open the port.) But it got me to thinking that direct-VPN might be an even better approach.

What are y'all doing?

Dave

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:31 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I have the EdgeRouter Lite three port. Plus a ToughSwitch POE switch and a TP-Link managed Gigabit switch.

I'm using the reflector. Works fine.

OTOH, setting up port forwarding is pretty easy. It's on the Firewall/NAT tab, first sub-tab.

What I haven't figure out how to do yet is monitor the total monthly traffic to/from the modem to see what Comcast thinks I'm using.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177