How do I restart my router and modem without loosing control

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:47 am
Wizard Sleeve offline

How do I restart my router and modem without loosing control

Hi I’ve just had a quick look and couldn’t see how people were doing this.

I have a global cache Itach (contact closure) at my Virgin Media cable Modem and a Apple AirPort Extreme. I want indigo to test its internet connection by pinging a server every hour. That’s all fine but what happens when indigo kills the power with the relay. Will the indigo server still be able to see the itach if they are both on static ip’s. They are connected via a netgear hub and then the airport connects in to that hub to do its routing duty’s. So would it be able to turn it back on after a time delay. Or alternatively can I get some sort of hardware solution that that could trip the power back on after say a minute of me tripping it off with the relay. I’ve seen on eBay there is time delay relays with 18 functions but they don’t really outline what those functions are. Like this....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2492354901

Thanks

Lee

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How do I restart my router and modem without loosing con

The easiest and perhaps safest solution is to use a Z-Wave switch to toggle power. Then the solution doesn't depend on any IP network connectivity.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 pm
DaveL17 offline

jay (support) wrote:
The easiest and perhaps safest solution is to use a Z-Wave switch to toggle power. Then the solution doesn't depend on any IP network connectivity.

This is exactly what I have (a Z-Wave appliance switch on my modem). I have a "kill switch" control in Indigo which kills the power until I manually turn it back on, and a schedule that reboots the modem every 2 weeks (while everyone is asleep) to give the thing a kick in the pants just to make sure that it's healthy.

I have a Ubiquiti EdgeMax router that motors on happily for months and months at a time which doesn't need a reboot very often.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:56 pm
kw123 offline

I have an ip switch that Can be triggered through a tcpip command. It does a short power off
On purpose I did not use zwave or insteon as it depends on indigo to run.
It can be set to restart the modem on its own if pings fail x times in a row for xx minutes
That makes it independent of anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:23 am
siclark offline

I use Virgin and was looking into doing the same a few years ago, as I find my Virgin router needed rebooting regularly.
However since putting that on modem mode, getting an edge max lite router and unifi WiFi APs I can go months without the modem or router being restarted, and then that is usually as a result of a firmware update to the router than a problem. The edge max also has an iOS app that can trigger the router to do a restart if required.
I think as well that the virgin webpage under your account has a problem solving section that will trigger a restart and checking of your virgin box.

Posted on
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:33 am
virgahyatt offline

Wizard Sleeve wrote:
Hi I’ve just had a quick look and couldn’t see how people were doing this.

I have a global cache Itach (contact closure) at my Virgin Media cable Modem and a Apple AirPort Extreme. I want indigo to test its internet connection by pinging a server every hour. That’s all fine but what happens when indigo kills the power with the relay. Will the indigo server still be able to see the itach if they are both on static ip’s. They are connected via a netgear hub and then the airport connects in to that hub to do its routing duty’s. So would it be able to turn it back on after a time delay. Or alternatively can I get some sort of hardware solution that that could trip the power back on after say a minute of me tripping it off with the relay. I’ve seen on eBay there is time delay relays with 18 functions but they don’t really outline what those functions are. Like this....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2492354901

Thanks

Lee

If your Airport Extreme is in DHCP and NAT (Network tab in Airport Utility) and both your indigo server and iTach are connected to it, turning off your modem will only cause you to lose internet access. It will not affect your internal network communications as that is being handled by the Airport Extreme.

Posted on
Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 pm
jalves offline

I'm using an Insteon on/off module to supply power to my cable modem. I use a trigger or schedule to turn it off and automatically back on 1 minute later. I also removed the battery backup to the cable modem to assure it reboots.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Page 1 of 1