Thermostat statistics

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:06 pm
Colly offline

Thermostat statistics

I presently use racarter's Heatmiser Neo plugin. Since setting it up a few months ago thankfully I haven't had much use for it due to it being Summer time. As it's approaching Autumn I expect the heating to start kicking in soon. I would love to be able to view statistics for each zone (I have 16 zones) to show when it was on for each day of the week and also be able to view historical info. 50% of my zones are underfloor heating so it's important that they predominantly run during the night on the cheaper electricity rate. The ideal setup is to have each underfloor zone reach its set point temperature just as the cheap electricity rate finishes. By seeing each zones stats I will fine tune each one individually.
To summarise I guess I'm looking for some kind of heating dashboard with the ability to view historical stats.
Do others do anything similar? If so I'd be interested in hearing how they achieve it?
If not I'd love to get some suggestions.

PS. Matt/Jay I wasn't sure where to post this so if it is better suited elsewhere then please move it.

Posted on
Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Thermostat statistics

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to a more appropriate forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:54 pm
siclark offline

Hi Colly,
I use the same, and have done since Alan first wrote the heat miser Neo plugin for Vera (along with his Texecom plugin), and indeed followed him to Indigo from Vera. On Vera I had a script that ran every minute and incremented a variable per device if the heating was on in that minute. The variable was then reset at midnight each day. I could then graph the stat temp, heat point and cumulative time the heating was on for.

I am actually in the progress of doing this today in Indigo as like you, the heating is about to go on. I am in the process of setting up 14 schedules for each of my zones, and then will use Indigoplot to view the data. I have given up trying to make it plot directly on the heatisOn attribute of each stat.

I would love to be able to make do with one schedule that runs a script that says per device, if heatisOn then set variable Neo_statname_heat to increment by 1 but I have no idea how to in python.

Whilst most of my zones are wet UFH or rads, I do have some electric UFH and electric towel rails, which use neoStats as switch timers and so for those I am going to look up the energy usage and ideally convert the time on per day into a cost so I can also track that.

Have you made any progress yet?

Posted on
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:03 pm
kw123 offline

you can plot that directly in indigoplotd:

select device and state = e.g. fan
then select measurement "sum" with reset every day.

in the device/ plot select that device.state/measurement data and plot as e.g. filled histogramm. that should look nice.
then you will see the cumulative on's (measured once/minute) for each day

you could divide by number of measurements (i.e. once per minute =60*24 =1440 ) and multiply by 100) then you have it as % ON time

Karl

Posted on
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:19 pm
Colly offline

Hi siclark,

I think Ive a working solution since last night! I stumbled across the Timed Devices plugin which monitors run times of devices or variables and stores secs/min/hours/days/week/months statistics. It is ideal for monitoring the Neo stats - AFAIK Alan has also tried it out and is happy too.
I created 2 Running Timers for each stat, 1 peak & 1 off peak. I then created an action group for "peak" and for "off peak" - each action group can be either enabled or disabled based on a schedule. The schedules run (at the moment) at 00:00 to enable "off peak" Timers and disable "peak" Timers and then the opposite @ 9am. This results in all the info now being available to put in plots as I see fit - that's my next job. Looking forward to creating a nice control page. See screenshot from Indigo Touch with some details on 1 stat.
I hope I've explained accurately what I did.. Any questions feel free to ask. Or if anyone has suggestions of how I can do it in a cleaner way I'm open to ideas.
Attachments
IMG_3883.PNG
IMG_3883.PNG (89.24 KiB) Viewed 2343 times

Posted on
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:21 pm
siclark offline

Thanks... that looks great and will definitely be useful. I think I still need to do mine though as I like to see graphically exactly when heating was running throughout the day across the week so I can see where I can tweek timing on the various stats to bring the time down.

Posted on
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:32 pm
Colly offline

siclark wrote:
I like to see graphically exactly when heating was running throughout the day across the week so I can see where I can tweek timing on the various stats to bring the time down.

This is where I want to get to also - I've 16 zones and want to reduce consumption if at all possible! Just realised when looking at another post that I can see the custom states (once I drag the screen up) on the Mac. This gives a better overview of what is available. You can see where the onstring and offstring times are stored, although I assume it only records the last on and off.. Easiest way I guess is to graph by the Running Timers for each stat.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 23.24.09.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 23.24.09.png (66.4 KiB) Viewed 2331 times

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 pm
siclark offline

This is what I have achieved the last couple of days, still some formatting to be done. But shows the stat temp vs the set point and the number of hours that the heating is on for, with the outdoors temp as well.
Attachments
Living Room Temp-minute-S2.png
Living Room Temp-minute-S2.png (13.88 KiB) Viewed 2245 times

Posted on
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:24 pm
Colly offline

Looks good. I like the idea of having the outside temperature. That's something I must add to my system.

Page 1 of 1