Velux Windows / Blinds

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:16 pm
petematheson offline

Velux Windows / Blinds

I need to replace a velux window and blind. What are the best options to integrate this with Indigo?

I'd like the ability to open / close both the window and blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by petematheson on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:56 pm
durosity offline

Re: Hi All,

Last I saw anything about velux windows there was no official way to do it. I seem to recall someone hacked a remote with a relay to control it opening and closing.. I don't think I've seen anything since that.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:35 am
mat offline

I think, from memory, there are other velux type manufacturers that make z-wave windows, but almost certain they are not currently supported by indigo. Might be worth considering and looking at the events log control - would be interested to hear results or what you can find.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 am
neilk offline

I use a fibaro dual relay to control one of http://installers.velux.co.uk/V-GB/Installers.nsf/KLF%20100%20-%20451719-0109.pdf?OpenFileResource. My use case is to globally close 4 blinds triggered off my DSC Alarm and schedules. It becomes expensive if you want to control blinds individually or in rooms (I can still use the room level remotes that allow you to group blinds). I also only use them to fully open and close the blinds. I did find examples where someone had hacked the relatively cheap remotes by soldering a relay onto the switch contacts but at the time I didn't want to trash them (I may well try at some point and use relays attached to a raspberry pi).
The fibaro is configured to automatically switch off after a short delay and the two devices are mapped to a virtual device with an on and off state and they work really well controlled with the Alexa plugin as well.

Check out eBay as I recall I got mine at a reasonable discount (you can also get the remotes if you wish to try the hacking version).

Let me know if you need more, I recall the setup is a little freaky for the interface.

Thanks
Neil

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:47 am
neilk offline

Sorry - I also think you would need two of these as they only have one input. It may be possible to link the blind and window open to the same operation. I only have the blinds powered not the windows themselves so I have never tried.
Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:52 am
neilk offline

One other window manufacturer is Fakro, and I found this range brochure https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/use ... e-2017.pdf which suggests they use Z Wave rather than iocontrol. I am having a new one added to the house, but will stick with Velux, no idea how good Fakro are or if they would work with Indigo.

Posted on
Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:08 pm
mclass offline

I'm using 4 ZWave Fakro winders fitted to custom made aluminum windows with great success. The only issue is that they are quite noisy in operation.

I am also waiting delivery of a trial batch of MoveZ blind operators that were the subject of an Indiegogo campaign. These are to be equipped with both ZWave and Bluetooth apparently. See https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/move ... s-gadget#/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:02 am
petematheson offline

Re: Velux Windows / Blinds

Thanks all - will check out all of the options and see what we end up with! Will report back if we ever make a decision :)

Page 1 of 1