Scientific Oregon Pool Temp sensor

Posted on
Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:43 pm
kw123 offline

Scientific Oregon Pool Temp sensor

if you have this one:
Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 8.29.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 8.29.45 PM.png (490.15 KiB) Viewed 14922 times
you might experience sometimes that it changes its RFXCOM ID number especially when you make waves in the pool. The device connects to the battery through little pins touching a copper surface. It seems that when you move it quickly it looses contact for just a fraction of a second. To remedy this I have soldered a 47uF capacitor onto the main printed circuit board (NOT to the battery section)
Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 8.39.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 8.39.36 PM.png (492.62 KiB) Viewed 14922 times
Now it keeps enough energy for > 0.5 seconds (without battery connected) to overcome the connection issue.

Besides this I had no problems with this device for > 1 year. The previous versions had leakage issues -- small amounts of water got into the inner device and the metal connections rusted. This version is fine.

Karl
Last edited by kw123 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:13 pm
Korey offline

Re: Scientific Oregon Pool Temp sensor

Great mod Karl! I will be doing this to my 2 units once I return home. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:33 am
eme jota ce offline

Nice modification!

I've gone through three of those. Let me know if you have a mod that will keep kids and dogs from playing with it (take to bottom of pool, toss).

Posted on
Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:21 pm
Indy_Larry offline

We are currently having our pool put in :D . Unfortunately I just went to the Scientific Oregon website and these have been discontinued. :twisted:
Dose anyone know of a replacement?

Larry

Insteon, Z Wave, Hue, Sonos

Posted on
Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:12 am
kw123 offline

've gone through three of those. Let me know if you have a mod that will keep kids and dogs from playing with it (take to bottom of pool, toss).

solution: wait 15 years until they are gone

Posted on
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:35 pm
CraigM offline

This was next on my list, but now that the OS is discontinued (good thing based on reviews) we need a plan B. How hard is it to design an o-ring that doesn't leak!

Here is one from Home Depot that might be worth testing to see if it works.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/AcuRite-Wireless-Digital-Floating-Pool-and-Spa-Thermometer-00617HDSBA2/202260979

If anyone tests the three mentioned in this post, please do a review.

thanks

Posted on
Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:32 pm
kw123 offline

we should find something that
supports one of these protocols
Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 4.28.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 4.28.45 PM.png (63.71 KiB) Viewed 14716 times

this one is on 433MHz and you can select 3 channels, sounds like OrogonS protocol.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Swimming-Pool-SPA-Thermometer-With-Professional-Wireless-/310972425219

Posted on
Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:39 pm
RogueProeliator offline

This was next on my list, but now that the OS is discontinued (good thing based on reviews) we need a plan B. How hard is it to design an o-ring that doesn't leak!

Mine hasn't leaked, but I will say that it feels... well, flimsy. I'm relatively happy with it but have experienced the "bump it and it jumps to a new ID" that Karl's original post solves. I'm tempted to do that, but my soldering experience is, well, 2 solders so we'll see. I have their wind sensor, rain gauge and a temp sensor -- they aren't bad but won't be mistaken for my old Davis either. But the pool sensor was always the worst "feeling."

If anyone finds a good 433 one and tries it out successfully, PLEASE do let us know, sounds like there is some interest!

Adam

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:02 am
lochnesz offline

kw123 wrote:
if you have this one: you might experience sometimes that it changes its RFXCOM ID number especially when you make waves in the pool. The device connects to the battery through little pins touching a copper surface. It seems that when you move it quickly it looses contact for just a fraction of a second. To remedy this I have soldered a 47uF capacitor onto the main printed circuit board (NOT to the battery section)
Now it keeps enough energy for > 0.5 seconds (without battery connected) to overcome the connection issue.

Besides this I had no problems with this device for > 1 year. The previous versions had leakage issues -- small amounts of water got into the inner device and the metal connections rusted. This version is fine.

Karl

Thanks Karl, I replaced one of mine because of this exact problem. I will try your solution!
Peter

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:49 am
Korey offline

Reporting back after a week of Karl's Cap mod on my 2 units..

Tons of pool activity this week and the units never reset the ID! They used to reset a few times a day! :x

Thanks for this Karl!

--
Korey

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:55 am
RogueProeliator offline

Out of curiosity, anyone end up finding a decent replacement for the Oregon Scientific Pool Sensor? Mine finally bit the dust, and not because of the kids crashing it (surprisingly) but due to the vacuum robot taking a liking to the connected string.

Posted on
Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:27 am
Korey offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Out of curiosity, anyone end up finding a decent replacement for the Oregon Scientific Pool Sensor? Mine finally bit the dust, and not because of the kids crashing it (surprisingly) but due to the vacuum robot taking a liking to the connected string.

We moved into a new home this past summer (in 114º heat none the less :roll: ) the pool had an older mechanical timer for turning the pump on. and an older non functional solar controller. 2 out of 3 to my Floating Temp sensors had bit the dust and the 3rd was on it's way out.

Knowing that there was a Jandy plugin for Indigo I found a used Jandy RS8 system on Craigslist for under $300 including breaker box / relays /Powercenter control board and the indoor all-button keypad, then a used Autelis ethernet interface on eBay.

I have installed the new to me system, it works great, I now have pool temp / solar temp & air temp readings plus full control of the pool system.

A bit overkill just for pool temp, but a fantastic upgrade for full pool integration with indigo. :P

--
Korey

Page 1 of 1