Plugin for NetworkOWL Intuition-pv sensor now available

Posted on
Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:43 pm
NickSmith offline

Plugin for NetworkOWL Intuition-pv sensor now available

A plugin to control the NetworkOWL Intuition-pv electricity sensor is now available in the User Contribution Library. Overview as follows:
The NetworkOwl interfaces with a range of sensors from the OWL Intuition family. This plugin extends the Perceptive Automation Indigo Mac home automation application to support the NetworkOwl & the Intuition-pv sensor.

The Intuition-pv sensor provides real-time electricity consumption & solar generation data to the NetworkOWL, which provides the data both to the OWL Intuition cloud application and as a multicast stream on the local network. This plugin joins this multicast stream and updates Indigo device states based on the data received.

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:37 am
durosity offline

Re: Plugin for NetworkOWL Intuition-pv sensor now available

Very nice! I was thinking of getting an OWL.. i think this will seal the deal.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:06 am
bmoraes offline

Nick,

does this plugin work with the Intuition-lc. I guess the hardware is the same, is just a matter of how the data is interpreted, right?

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 am
NickSmith offline

Hi - I believe the two units share a common XML format, but as the plugin stands it won't know what to do with the extra data provided by the LC model. Does it come with any instructions about the data format as it'd be straightforward for me to add support for it if that was available?

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:52 pm
bmoraes offline

I just tested it but Indigo does not get any info from the OWL (all parameters are 0).

There was no info about the XML format with the documentation and I also could not find anything on their website.

Probably I could get the XML file if I could log into the Owl (I tried the IP address on the browser but it did not work). Do you know how to do it?

Thank you!

Posted on
Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:18 pm
NickSmith offline

Hi - have just sent Intuition support an email asking for the data format. Hopefully they'll respond!

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 am
NickSmith offline

Hi - had a quick response from the Intuition support guys: apparently the XML schema is the same, with the PV & LC units only differing in the number & size of sensors provided. Could I ask you to turn on debugging in the plug-in please (Plugins / NetworkOwl / Configure followed by Plugins / NetworkOwl / Reload) and post a few of the NetworkOwl Debug messages please: the electricity packets would be the most useful ones.

Something along the lines of

Code: Select all
NetworkOwl Debug                Datagram "<electricity id='443719000492'><signal rssi='-66' lqi='45'/><battery level='100%'/><chan id='0'><curr units='w'>385.00</curr><day units='wh'>3776.72</day></chan><chan id='1'><curr units='w'>84.00</curr><day units='wh'>61.29</day></chan><chan id='2'><curr units='w'>0.00</curr><day units='wh'>0.00</day></chan></electricity>" received

would be great.

Many thanks

Regards

Nick

Posted on
Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 am
bmoraes offline

Nick,

I enabled debug but somehow Indigo is not seeing the data from the multicast event. All that appears on the Event log window is below. The web interface for Owl is working properly, the system is reporting "online" and I see the data getting updated avery few seconds.

03/04/2013 3/abril, 06:39:05
  Reloading plugin "NetworkOwl 1.0"
  Stopping plugin "NetworkOwl 1.0" (pid 481)
  Stopped plugin "NetworkOwl 1.0"
  Starting plugin "NetworkOwl 1.0" (pid 28741)
  Started plugin "NetworkOwl 1.0"
  NetworkOwl Debug                startup called
  NetworkOwl Debug                Starting device: OWL
  NetworkOwl Debug                MAC Address: 443719______
  NetworkOwl                      NetworkOwl: starting listener on port 22600
  NetworkOwl Debug                startProtocol called

Posted on
Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:38 am
NickSmith offline

Odd - ok: can you post the results from what the device state is showing in the main Indigo window please? From the "Devices" list on the Indigo Home Screen, select the Device representing the NetworkOwl plugin: at the bottom of the window there should be a list of device states.

For example, mine shows states for the battery level, the values for power being used, exported & generated etc (see attached screen grab)

owlStates.png
Screen grab
owlStates.png (39.65 KiB) Viewed 9076 times

Thanks

Regards

Nick

Posted on
Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:09 am
bmoraes offline

Nick,

they are all zero as Indigo is not seeing anything.

Thanks, Bruno
Attachments
Owl status.png
Owl status.png (38.3 KiB) Viewed 9068 times

Posted on
Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 pm
NickSmith offline

OK - thanks Bruno: even odder! How is your network set up: is there anything that could be blocking multicast traffic from the NetworkOwl from reaching your Indigo server? The OWL website isn't updated via the multicast feed so won't show if that side of things is working.

Thanks

Regards

Nick

Posted on
Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:40 pm
bmoraes offline

Nick,

there is nothing (to my knowledge) that could be blocking the traffic. It is a simple set up of a home network behind an Airport Express Router.

On the Airport logs I do not see any log event related to neither the Owl IP address nor its MAC address. I will try to investigate.

Thank you, Bruno

Posted on
Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:27 pm
bmoraes offline

Nick,

I got multicast to work (I also found another issue see below, but I already solved it!).

1) to get multicast to work I followed the instructions on: http://blogs.agilefaqs.com/2009/11/08/e ... acos-unix/

2) I checked the event log window of indigo and I was getting the following error

NetworkOwl Debug                Datagram "<electricity id='44371900__A_'><signal rssi='-55' lqi='21'/><battery level='100%'/><chan id='0'><curr units='w'>275.00</curr><day units='wh'>9101.12</day></chan><chan id='1'><curr units='w'>1031.00</curr><day units='wh'>14494.09</day></chan><chan id='2'><curr units='w'>204.00</curr><day units='wh'>8702.37</day></chan></electricity>" received from ('192.168.0.158', 22600)
  NetworkOwl                      NetworkOwl: electricity packet received
  NetworkOwl Debug                packet address: 44371900__A_
  NetworkOwl Error                Received packet from unknown NetworkOwl 44371900__A_: create NetworkOwl device in Indigo

3) I realize the error was because it was not recognizing my OWL interface because of the "capital" A. On the label it was a small "a" and on Intuition website "devices" tab it was also reporting a small "a". Anyway I changed the plugin configuration to a capital A and I was able to get all the data!

4) Now the correct datagram:

NetworkOwl Debug                Datagram "<electricity id='44371900__A_'><signal rssi='-55' lqi='0'/><battery level='100%'/><chan id='0'><curr units='w'>248.00</curr><day units='wh'>9167.39</day></chan><chan id='1'><curr units='w'>1244.00</curr><day units='wh'>14755.85</day></chan><chan id='2'><curr units='w'>755.00</curr><day units='wh'>8759.74</day></chan></electricity>" received from ('192.168.0.158', 22600)
  NetworkOwl                      NetworkOwl: electricity packet received
  NetworkOwl Debug                packet address: 44371900__A_
  NetworkOwl                      NetworkOwl: using watts: 248

The plugin is "almost" there. The interface measures 3 phases separately.<chan id='0', chan id='1' and chan id='2'>
The plugin is set to report only the Phase 1 <chan id='0'> so I guess for it to work properly with Intuition -lv set up would be the case of adding all three phases when reporting the "using watts" results.

For example on the reading above I was using
P1 = 248.00
P2 = 1244.00
P3 = 755.00
for a total of 2.26 kW

See below what Intuition web interface was reporting at the same time. See also what Indigo is reporting (that was not exactly at the same time, so the using watts is 133 instead of 248).
Attachments
indigostatus2.png
indigostatus2.png (20.69 KiB) Viewed 9029 times
indigostatus1.png
indigostatus1.png (23.34 KiB) Viewed 9029 times
intuition web.png
intuition web.png (150.78 KiB) Viewed 9031 times

Posted on
Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:10 pm
NickSmith offline

Excellent - thanks Bruno: leave it with me - as the pv unit only handles a single phase that's all I've coded for. I'll extend the plug-in to support 3 phases - only a minor tweak to the code needed

Cheers

Nick

Posted on
Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 am
bmoraes offline

Great. Let me know if you need any help testing it with a 3-phase sensor.