Elk M1 Plugin

Posted on
Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:07 pm
jcrides offline

Elk M1 Plugin

[MODERATOR NOTE] this plugin is no longer maintained (the original author no longer has access to an Elk panel). If anyone would like to resume development I'm sure he'll be happy to help you get started.

This is a plugin for the Elk M1 and M1G alarm panels. It connects to an M1XEP ethernet module attached to your alarm panel, it does not currently support serial connection to the alarm. It's been tested with Indigo 5.1.1 and 5.1.2. It should run fine on earlier versions since It's not using any new API features added recently.

There's a new option that's enabled by default called Auto Names. This will keep the device names in sync with how they're described on the M1. It will also set the description of the zones to the type of zone they're configured as on the M1. You can disable this option if you want to use custom names or descriptions for your zone devices.

Here's the link to download the plugin:
http://www.jeremycarey.net/elkplug/Elk%20Plugin.indigoPlugin.zip

This plugin was discussed in this thread. Started this new thread since the other one had drifted from it's original subject.

~JC

Posted on
Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Elk M1 Plugin

Excellent addition to the other Alarm Panel plugins and it fills the biggest hole I think. Thanks!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:19 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, thanks for sharing this with everyone! Over the years Elk M1 support has come up quite a few times, so I'm sure folks will find this plugin useful.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 pm
Swancoat offline

Working pretty well for me so far. It threw this into the log (no errors or anything though...) What does it mean?
Code: Select all
ELK M1G Control                 Tick: 16XK20522130506121100077

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:19 pm
bcall offline

XK is the elk's ethernet module test message. The elk sends it out every 30 seconds so it can be used as a heartbeat to confirm the ip connection is still valid.

Posted on
Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:34 pm
jcrides offline

Yes it's something that gets sent every 30 seconds. I have the plugin set up to log those once per hour.

I was a kind of debugging thing I set up so I could tell that the plugin was still talking to the panel. I was going to make it an option but must have forgotten :)

~JC

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 pm
mokecke offline

Hi
I am new to Indigo but before i invest all my money would like to know if you actually have control of arming - disarming the M1 ?
And if this option can be controlled from IPhone ?!
I need a home automation setup which integrates with any alarm system out there. After reading a whole 2 days still didn't find a clear answer regarding indigo.
If this new plugin gives me control or not over Elk M1 and that's doable thru the Iphone app this is my question.
Thanks

Posted on
Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 pm
jcrides offline

Yes this plugin is able to arm and disarm the ELK M1. If you have Indigo Pro you can build a control page that you can use from your iPhone. It will also control thermostats if you have them connected to your M1. I'm planning to add lighting control at some point but haven't done it yet.

~JC

Posted on
Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:58 pm
Zergraph offline

Thanks for creating this plug-in. I've just started experimenting with it, but it seems it isn't picking up all of my input zones. It gets 1 through 70, but skips 71 through 128. Is there a configuration parameter or an internal limit that needs to be adjusted?

Second question: it possible read and set Elk's Output variables?

Posted on
Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:45 pm
jcrides offline

Hmm, there shouldn't be any reason for it to stop at 70. Can you turn on debugging and restart the plugin the either upload to this thread or PM the log to me.

I haven't done anything in this with output variables. Mostly because I don't use them on my system. If you could tell me what you're trying to do with these maybe it's something I could add.

~JC

Posted on
Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:50 pm
Zergraph offline

Just realized I didn't have the latest version. No problems now, using 1.1.1 .

Posted on
Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:00 pm
jcrides offline

Good to hear. That's what I figured it probably was after looking at your log. Initially I didn't have all the zone types but they are all in 1.1.1.

~JC

Posted on
Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:43 pm
LocalAg02 offline

First let me say thanks for creating the Elk M1 plugin. I have enjoyed the features it contains. I have one question, how do I get the zones to update with the correct status. At the present time the zones stay in the normal status and does not change even when I see it come across in debug. Any help would be appreciated.

localag02

Posted on
Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:47 am
jcrides offline

They zones in Indigo should change states as they do on the ELK. If they're motion zones the transitions between states may be too quick to show up as a noticeable change in Indigo. Especially if the system you're running Indigo on is busy.

I'm at work now so can't verify that the zone states change properly. I'll check tonight. You can try propping opening a door that's alarmed and see if it shows up in Indigo.

~JC

Posted on
Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 pm
LocalAg02 offline

That seems to be the case. I am trying to use my motion detector to turn on a light. It does not seem fast enough to change the state. I used to be able to use this when I was parsing the strings myself through serial. Not sure how to handle this. I also have a few instances where the state get stuck in violated. I have an interesting question are you parsing every command the Elk sends or are you doing some logic and combining commands? Thanks for all your help.

localag02