Russound RNET Plugin

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:02 pm
jottawa offline

Russound RNET Plugin

Russound RNET Plugin
This plugin interfaces Indigo 5 to a RNET capable Russound receiver. The plugin will monitor Russound activity to populate plugin-device states (zones). The plugin allows Indigo to control the Russound zones (power, source, volume, etc.) and sources (play, pause, next, menu, etc.) using plugin actions. Plugin triggers can be created from any zone or source event. There is also a plugin action to send text to one or all keypads.

Requirements
  • RNET capable Russound receiver such as: CAS44, CAA66, CAM6.6, CAV6.6, ACA-E5, MCA-C3 or MCA-C5
  • Connection to the RNET Receiver using either:
    • Direct connection using a serial cable from the Indigo Server to the Russound Receiver.
    • TCP Socket connected to a virtual serial port emulator such as VSPE. The server running the VSPE software needs to be connected to the Russound receiver using a serial cable.

Instructions for installation, configuration, etc. are available here.

The plugin is available here. Please leave any comments/bug/requests in this thread.

The plugin's functionality has been extended thanks to the contribution of nlagaros. The plugin will now be maintained by both of us.
Last edited by jottawa on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:07 am, edited 10 times in total.

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:53 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Russond RNET Plugin

Sounds great!

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Awesome - A/V control is really something we hope gets lots of coverage from plugin developers. Now, if I just had some Russond hardware to play with... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:07 pm
peppop offline

does this plugin work on a MCA-C3 & MCA-C5 over IP. They replace CAM & CAV. And does it need to be modified?
Wat is a "socket-to-serial" is it just a network IP of the russound?
http://www.russound.com/cseries_overview.php

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:17 am
jottawa offline

peppop wrote:
does this plugin work on a MCA-C3 & MCA-C5 over IP. They replace CAM & CAV. And does it need to be modified?

It should work with those receivers. I may have to tweak a couple very small things. Let me know if you plan on testing it and I'll make the changes.

I updated the post with a better description of the socket option.

Posted on
Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:54 am
peppop offline

jottawa wrote:
peppop wrote:

It should work with those receivers. I may have to tweak a couple very small things. Let me know if you plan on testing it and I'll make the changes.

I am setting up a MCA-C5 this week. I want to try the plug in. I will let you know how it goes. It may be a good idea to make this plug-in geared for the MCA since it replaces the CAM & CAV.
Also the MCA series has a network interface that can be used for programming and control. Is there a way to utilize that in the plug-in? It would make a much easier connection. It also has a USB port for programming and control.
Thank You and keep up the great work.

Posted on
Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:50 pm
jottawa offline

peppop wrote:
jottawa wrote:
peppop wrote:

I am setting up a MCA-C5 this week. I want to try the plug in. I will let you know how it goes. It may be a good idea to make this plug-in geared for the MCA since it replaces the CAM & CAV.
Also the MCA series has a network interface that can be used for programming and control. Is there a way to utilize that in the plug-in? It would make a much easier connection. It also has a USB port for programming and control.

Thank You and keep up the great work.

Thanks for the interest in the plugin. :) I'm really looking forward (and nervous :oops: ) to see how the plugin performs with the MCA-C5.

A friend and I have a CAA66 and there is someone on the board doing some excellent testing for this plugin on a CAV6.6. I'm hoping the plugin will support all the Russound receivers (fingers crossed) as they all support the RNET protocol.

I read about the new connection methods available for the MCA series as well as a new protocol for communicating with those receivers called RIO which looks A LOT easier than the RNET protocol. The plugin was already extended to include a socket connection so adding other connection type shouldn't be too bad. If only I could get my hands on a MCA-C5 for "testing" :lol:

The plugin is constantly being worked on so please make sure you have a fresh copy.

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:07 pm
peppop offline

Re: Russound RNET Plugin

I finally got around to setting up the system. The plug in works for the most part, however I can't get some feedback such as zones on and off state, and feedback from the keypad. Some of the buttons don't match, like the 'ok' button and the 'menu' button and the 'home' button. Excellent work so far.
Keep up the good work. I'll keep checking. Thank you.
This is the MCA-C5

Posted on
Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:48 pm
jottawa offline

peppop wrote:
I finally got around to setting up the system. The plug in works for the most part, however I can't get some feedback such as zones on and off state, and feedback from the keypad. Some of the buttons don't match, like the 'ok' button and the 'menu' button and the 'home' button. Excellent work so far.
Keep up the good work. I'll keep checking. Thank you.
This is the MCA-C5

I'm glad some of the functionality is working. I think there is a good chance that the issues with the MCA-C5 can be resolved. If you get some time and you are interested in contributing, run the plugin in Debug mode so you can capture the messages for the events that aren't working for you. Then PM me with the output, etc. and I'll take a look.

The most recent publicly available RNET protocol documen is not necessarily complete, especially when it come to the newer models of receivers. A lot of the functionality with the plugin was a result of reverse engineering the messages from the controllers.

Big thanks to nlagaros's contribution on this plugin which was very valuable.

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:24 am
nlagaros offline

Version 1.1.3 of the plugin has been posted. Updates are as follows:

Added "Current Zone" in zone drop down for source-based triggers. This allows one to respect the keypad used to initiate an action.
    Mimicked rotating DisplayMessage for track/album/artist and source actions.
    Added action to update DisplayMessage state in a zone.
    Corrected minor flaw in keypad and source control messages.

The link in the original post will take you to the download site.

Posted on
Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:59 pm
peppop offline

nlagaros wrote:
Version 1.1.3 of the plugin has been posted. Updates are as follows:

Added "Current Zone" in zone drop down for source-based triggers. This allows one to respect the keypad used to initiate an action.
    Mimicked rotating DisplayMessage for track/album/artist and source actions.
    Added action to update DisplayMessage state in a zone.
    Corrected minor flaw in keypad and source control messages.

The link in the original post will take you to the download site.

Works Grate.
Excellent plugin.
keep up the grate work.

Posted on
Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:01 am
peppop offline

Posted on
Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:27 am
nlagaros offline

Sorry for the long hiatus - haven't worked on HA in a while. I have seen the release of this interface by Russound - it looks pretty slick. Unfortunately it does not support the controller that I own. I'm a bit disappointed that their legacy support is so weak. I am happily plugging away with Indigo and this Russound plugin. I will have an update to contribute soon - support for the AM/FM tuner.

Posted on
Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:47 am
peppop offline

nlagaros Is there any way to access the IR Library for the source equipment?
If that could be done would be great because you can use the RS Controller to control all your AV/Source equipment.

PS You forgot to put the .zip at the end of the file again.

Posted on
Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:11 pm
nlagaros offline

You should be able to use the action "Source Control Button" on a zone to send any key (ir command) you would hit on the remote control. I haven't mucked with it at all, so let me know if it works for you.