Not a programmer but want to help with plugin development?

Posted on
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:19 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Not a programmer but want to help with plugin development?

I often see comments from Indigo users that they really like a plugin, or need a plugin, but they're not a developer and can't help. Or they post that they'd like to support development of a plugin. Personally, I don't really want to be paid for the plugins I write. That makes them work, and I'm retired and staying that way. ;)

On the other hand, we developers spend a lot of time supporting the plugins we write, and anything that reduces the support burden would be beneficial.

So my suggestion is - help the developers of your favorite plugins with documentation for their plugins. I know mine could use a lot of help. With the new Plugin store, most plugins are hosted on GitHub, which has a wiki for each project. I've started populating the wiki pages for my plugins, but it's slow going. I always seem to find something more interesting to do.

Just throwing the idea out there...

joe

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Not a programmer but want to help with plugin developmen

I think this is a good way to contribute and one I've encouraged before. Having the wiki for each plugin on GitHub is a great way to enable that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:01 pm
Colly offline

Joe,
Happy to help out - the only plugin of yours I'm using at present is the RF Player so if help is needed there just shout and I'll try to oblige.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:22 pm
Different Computers offline

What a great idea!

I don't know how to write code, but I know how to write!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:23 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Colly wrote:
Joe,
Happy to help out - the only plugin of yours I'm using at present is the RF Player so if help is needed there just shout and I'll try to oblige.

I started the Wiki for RFPlayer. If you want to take a crack at a step-by-step guide for creating and using the devices for whatever you're already using, that would be great.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:25 pm
Colly offline

Will take a look so. :D

Page 1 of 1