Ecobee Plugin

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:25 pm
dustysparkle offline

Ecobee Plugin

Hi all,

I've had an Ecobee 3 plugin working locally for a couple months now. I planned to share it earlier, but I got sidetracked with work on the Nissan Leaf plugin. That is temporarily out of the picture, though, until Nissan secures their API. :oops:

This Ecobee 3 plugin is working pretty well for me, though obviously a sample size of one doesn't really mean much.

Known issues:
  1. Only supports one Ecobee thermostat (but supports multiple remote sensors on that thermostat) Update: no longer true!
  2. Read-only; only reads information from the thermostat and sensors; no functionality yet to make any changes. This is just something I haven't needed yet, though I do plan to implement it. Update: no longer true!
  3. A bit touchy about authentication; if you mess with the plugin much, you may find that you have to reauthenticate on the Ecobee web site and refresh your tokens before the plugin will work again. (Instructions for this can be found on the plugin configuration screen.) Update: no longer true!

Plugin is located here: https://github.com/jdhorne/indigo-ecobee-plugin

Once you install, you'll need to get a PIN from the plugin configuration page and enter it on the Ecobee web site to authorize access. Then just go back to the plugin configuration screen, click "refresh tokens", and you should be able to add your thermostat (and then your remote sensors).

Good luck, and let me know if you have any problems!

----
UPDATE 2016-06-22, version 1.0.0 (yay!):
* first support for two-way control (i.e. control the thermostat from Indigo; thanks rapamatic)
* first support for reporting of auto home/away events on Ecobee 3 (via new "autoHome" and "autoAway" boolean states)
* bugfix: authentication tokens weren't being saved beyond first retrieval (thanks rapamatic)

UPDATE 2016-04-27, version 0.1.0:
* Now supports Ecobee Smart thermostats (thanks to user rapamatic) in addition to Ecobee 3
* Now supports multiple thermostats
Last edited by dustysparkle on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:56 pm
dnomode offline

Re: Ecobee 3 Plugin

Oh dudes, this is awesome. I'll install it tonight.

Thanks
Edmond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:47 am
dnomode offline

Installed it and it's working nicely. Thanks for this plugin. Im excited to see controls, once you implement.

Thanks
Edmond

Posted on
Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:10 pm
rpankhurst offline

I have the Plugin successfully installed and working. It is detecting my downstairs Ecobee3. Does it work with two Ecobees as I have one upstairs? The upstairs device does not come up in the list for a new device. My Ecobee3 upstairs also seems to be working fine. Any suggestions?

Posted on
Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:09 pm
dustysparkle offline

Aw man, yeah, I took a couple shortcuts and only looked at the first Ecobee that the web service reported. :oops:

I don't believe there was much in the code that prevented it from working with more than one, though. I'll take a look and see what I can do.

Posted on
Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:50 am
FlyingDiver offline

Please do try to make this work with multiple Ecobees. I have four zones in my new house and I'm seriously considering using the Ecobee thermostat.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:16 pm
General Custer offline

Where on the ecoobee site do you enter the PIN number generated?

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:13 pm
General Custer offline

Figured it out. Awesome plugin.

Any idea when you'll be able to support more then one thermostat?

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:26 pm
dnomode offline

Any ideas when you may add some functionality to the plugin?

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:33 am
dustysparkle offline

I've been working on adding support for multiple thermostats, though I did get pulled away for a bit while updating the Nissan Leaf and Scale Converter plugins.

I could use some help with beta testing the multiple thermostat support, as I only have one Ecobee myself. If anyone's willing to try it out and give feedback, please let me know.

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:41 am
rapamatic offline

I've got one ecobee 3 and 2 of the older smart thermostats. I'd be happy to test.

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:48 am
dnomode offline

I've got two Ecobee 3, however they are at different locations and using different accounts.

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:16 pm
mlooss offline

I have an installation with 2 X Ecobee 3's and was waiting for multiple device support and I am willing to test it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 am
reugster offline

So how do you install it? Im at a loss :?

Posted on
Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 pm
dustysparkle offline

Re: Ecobee Plugin

I've just published a new version of the plugin (version 0.1.0) that adds the following features:

• Multiple thermostat support
  • Support for the Ecobee Smart thermostat (thanks to rapamatic!)

One caveat: due to some changes I had to make to support multiple thermostats, you will have to reconfigure (or remove/re-add) any existing thermostat devices after upgrading. Existing remote sensor devices should continue to work fine.

Plugin is available in Github, here, as always.

Note: It's possible that there are some corners of the multiple thermostat support that haven't been fully tested, so let me know if you see any problems.

Cheers!