Ecobee Plugin

Posted on
Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:46 pm
dnomode offline

Re: Ecobee Plugin

Right on. thanks. That would be pretty cool if was can control the fan to go on and off.

I'm also getting the following error when trying to set the ecobee to away. Any ideas on this one?
Code: Select all
Jul 25, 2016 8:13:10 PM
  Action Group                    AC OFF copy
  Ecobee Error                    plugin does not define method setAwayStatus

Thanks for your help.

Edmond

Posted on
Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:10 pm
dnomode offline

Ray,

How often does the plugin check the status of the Ecobee? It seems like it takes a long time for the plugin to show that the Ecobee has been turned on or off.

Thanks,
Edmond

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 am
rapamatic offline

dnomode wrote:
I'm also getting the following error when trying to set the ecobee to away. Any ideas on this one?
Jul 25, 2016 8:13:10 PM
  Action Group                    AC OFF copy
  Ecobee Error                    plugin does not define method setAwayStatus

Jason wrote the away status code.. but looking at your error messages it seems you might not have the latest version of the code - check on the github page to see if you've downloaded the most recent version.

On your other question, ecobee limits how often you can hit their API to check status... I believe the code updates every 5 minutes or so....

Posted on
Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:41 am
Parp offline

I hope you guys can figure out fan control! That's the only thing keeping me from switching out my Nest to an Ecobee3.

Thanks in advance for your efforts!!

Posted on
Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:09 pm
dnomode offline

Jason wrote the away status code.. but looking at your error messages it seems you might not have the latest version of the code - check on the github page to see if you've downloaded the most recent version.

It looks like Im running version 1.0 :?

Any other ideas?

Edmond

Posted on
Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:58 am
JaceJenkins offline

I am getting the same error message "plugin does not define method setAwayStatus'

I downloaded v1.0 from GitHub. Maybe it has something to do with all v1.0 installation vs other who upgraded from previous versions and already had this method defined?

Posted on
Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:46 am
MKuchnic offline

The plug-in works great! I have noticed an interesting thing though, my internet went away overnight and the ecobee plug-in had failed continually (every few minutes) until it was restored. Good news is that once the internet was restored the plug-in resumed normal operation. I would suggest that you may want to add something to provide a more graceful failure when it can't connect to the internet/ ecobee cloud for updates.

Great plug-in
Thanks
Mark

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:23 am
OjisanSeiuchi offline

With three independent Ecobee thermostats on my property, this plugin would be ideal except for the fact that after some period of time (days-weeks) it loses the authentication with the Ecobee servers.

With the plugin debug logging enabled, I get the following error:

Ecobee                          not authenticated to pyecobee yet; not initializing state of device TY6N

(error repeated for each of the Ecobee units)

Apart from deleting each of the device instances, revoking the authentication at the Ecobee website and reinstalling all of the instances, I have found no other solution. Any ideas?

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:41 am
FlyingDiver offline

OjisanSeiuchi wrote:
Apart from deleting each of the device instances, revoking the authentication at the Ecobee website and reinstalling all of the instances, I have found no other solution. Any ideas?

I have four Ecobees. Yes, it does seem to look authentication randomly. I've never had to delete any devices and recreate them. All I do is bring up the config panel, request a new PIN, then go to the Ecobee site and authorize the new PIN. I don't even revoke the old app.

Starting plugin "Ecobee 1.0.0" (pid 98480)
   Ecobee Error                    pyecobee: not authenticated to Ecobee servers
   Ecobee Error                    request status code: 500
   Ecobee Error                    Ecobee device requires authentication; open plugin configuration page for info
   Started plugin "Ecobee 1.0.0"
   Ecobee                          added smart thermostat 315658196345
   Ecobee                          added remote sensor SQLK
   Ecobee                          added remote sensor LFVV
   Ecobee                          added smart thermostat 313892758064
   Ecobee                          added remote sensor KKKJ
   Ecobee                          added smart thermostat 311018773951
   Ecobee                          added remote sensor Y9KD
   Ecobee                          added smart thermostat 311026238802
   Ecobee                          added remote sensor WQ34

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:45 am
rapamatic offline

I have had those same issues. I've tried to troubleshoot them, but a bit hard since it seems to lose the authentication somewhat randomly...

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:08 pm
chobo offline

dustysparkle & rapamatic,

Thanks for putting in the time to develop this very functional plugin. A few days in, setup, authentication, and control (using the Indigo thermostat UI) all seem to be working as expected.

One question: how is everyone setting the away status and resuming the thermostat's built-in schedule upon return?

I've been manually setting a temperature at each away/home event, but that seems to defeat the built-in scheduling functions. After a peek at the api documentation, it looks like I should be using setHold (https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/a ... ex12.shtml) and resumeProgram (https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/a ... /ex6.shtml).

Interested in any thoughts/suggestions/guidance. Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:04 am
OjisanSeiuchi offline

I've spent a little while thinking about the authentication problems (plugin seems to lose authentication after an indeterminate time.)

Is it possible that the plugin is exceeding the API limits for the free tier?

From the Usage limits of the Ecobee API documentation: (https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/a ... ment.shtml)

Implementations using the Services may at no cost generate up to 85,000 queries ("usage limit"), per month starting on the date you register for developer access ("Registration Date"). More information on how the usage limit is calculated can be found at http://www.ecobee.com/developers. Every month, your Implementation receives a new allotment of 85,000 queries. Unused free queries are not carried over from month to month.
b. If your Implementation exceeds the usage limits, ecobee reserves the right to restrict access to the Services by your Implementation, including but not limited to, throttling access to the server or denying access to the Services by your Implementation. In no way will ecobee be liable for any losses or damages caused by the restriction of access to the Services by your Implementation caused by excess queries.

The plugin seems to be updating every 15 seconds. At this rate, the plugin would generate 5760 API requests per day for a single thermostat or 172800 per 30/days. For three thermostats (e.g. my setup), that's 8640 API requests/day or 518400 per 30 days. Unfortunately, there's no local control to bypass the cloud functionality of the Ecobee.

Posted on
Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:04 am
rapamatic offline

OjisanSeiuchi wrote:
I've spent a little while thinking about the authentication problems (plugin seems to lose authentication after an indeterminate time.)

Is it possible that the plugin is exceeding the API limits for the free tier?

From the Usage limits of the Ecobee API documentation: (https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/a ... ment.shtml)

Implementations using the Services may at no cost generate up to 85,000 queries ("usage limit"), per month starting on the date you register for developer access ("Registration Date"). More information on how the usage limit is calculated can be found at http://www.ecobee.com/developers. Every month, your Implementation receives a new allotment of 85,000 queries. Unused free queries are not carried over from month to month.
b. If your Implementation exceeds the usage limits, ecobee reserves the right to restrict access to the Services by your Implementation, including but not limited to, throttling access to the server or denying access to the Services by your Implementation. In no way will ecobee be liable for any losses or damages caused by the restriction of access to the Services by your Implementation caused by excess queries.

The plugin seems to be updating every 15 seconds. At this rate, the plugin would generate 5760 API requests per day for a single thermostat or 172800 per 30/days. For three thermostats (e.g. my setup), that's 8640 API requests/day or 518400 per 30 days. Unfortunately, there's no local control to bypass the cloud functionality of the Ecobee.

I believe the plugin is caching the server responses and only pinging the server every 3 minutes or so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:29 pm
rapamatic offline

I lost connection a couple of days ago and fortunately had some debug logging turned on. Here's the log code - looks like it may be related to a temporary error in the API servers... our code should just wait and retry again when something like this happens, but it looks like its freaking out and losing the tokens...

2016-12-08 05:35:15.948   Ecobee Error   Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 328, in runConcurrentThread
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/pyecobee/__init__.py", line 314, in update
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/pyecobee/__init__.py", line 166, in get_thermostats
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/pyecobee/__init__.py", line 123, in refresh_tokens
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/api.py", line 107, in post
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/api.py", line 53, in request
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/sessions.py", line 468, in request
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/sessions.py", line 576, in send
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Ecobee.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/requests/adapters.py", line 447, in send
SSLError: hostname 'api.ecobee.com' doesn't match either of 'www.ecobee.com', 'ecobee.com'

2016-12-08 05:35:15.950   Ecobee Error   plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)
2016-12-08 05:35:25.957   Ecobee   not authenticated to pyecobee yet; not initializing state of device G5PH
2016-12-08 05:35:25.959   Ecobee   not authenticated to pyecobee yet; not initializing state of device 314784831377
2016-12-08 05:35:25.960   Ecobee   not authenticated to pyecobee yet; not initializing state of device 173448830954
2016-12-08 05:35:25.960   Ecobee   not authenticated to pyecobee yet; not initializing state of device 150992022817

I'm a rank amateur, but I'll attempt to figure out what's going on here, but happy to listen if anyone has any better ideas..

Posted on
Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:25 am
OjisanSeiuchi offline

The code to set heat and cool set points does not currently work with plugin-defined scales other than Fahrenheit.

In `plugin.py`, see the following lines:

if newSetpoint < 40.0:
         newSetpoint = 40.0      # Arbitrary -- set to whatever hardware minimum setpoint value is.
      elif newSetpoint > 95.0:
         newSetpoint = 95.0      # Arbitrary -- set to whatever hardware maximum setpoint value is.

which enforce a range of 40-95, which is only relevant to °F. The result was that anytime I tried to change the heat set point, I ended up with the Ecobee hardware-defined minimum of 7°C because 40°F is about 4°C.

I modified the code to work with setting set points in other scales as well. There's a pull request up on Github that fixes it. At least for °C. I haven't tested with F because all my hardware is in celsius and I didn't want to change it.