Neato Botvac Connected (unofficial) API Released

Posted on
Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:08 pm
adamfox offline

Neato Botvac Connected (unofficial) API Released

Just wondering if any of you smarter people have a Neato Botvac Connected. Just came across this (https://github.com/alyc100/botvac) today and am pretty excited about the prospect of controlling the Neato via Indigo. However, beyond telling the robot to start/stop I wouldn't know where to begin programming an actual plugin for Indigo.

Posted on
Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Neato Botvac Connected (unofficial) API Released

I literally just saw one of these at a neighbor's house about 2 hours ago (Neato). Pretty cool. I've not seen that there was any way to control it externally.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:35 pm
adamfox offline

jay (support) wrote:
I literally just saw one of these at a neighbor's house about 2 hours ago (Neato). Pretty cool. I've not seen that there was any way to control it externally.

I don't have one myself but did have an older model before replacing it with a Roomba 880, which I despise. In my opinion the Neato just worked better. The Connected model didn't really peek my interest until I saw that this guy reverse engineered the Android app to create this Ruby Gem. One of the folks over on the SmartThings Forums has already interfaced it with that platform (https://community.smartthings.com/t/rel ... i-st/40466). Think I'm going to pull the trigger on one in the next few days. I'm not a programer but I think at the very least I'll be able to use Indigo to trigger start/stop via shell scripts. I've also got HomeBridge installed on my Mac Mini and am really excited for the prospects of screaming at Siri (or Alexa) to start vacuuming the floors. Would be super cool to get notifications if the vacuum got stuck or needed emptied, but parsing that data into a plugin is over my head.

Posted on
Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:38 am
McJohn offline

Yes! That's what I want!
We have the old Neato cleaner an they are pretty good.
So, when are you ready? :wink:

Kind regards,

John

Posted on
Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:49 am
adamfox offline

I've got the Ruby Gem installed on my server and am just waiting for the Botvac to be delivered. Think I can get the basic start/stop functionality setup in Indigo using shell scripts. It looks like their app has push notifications for errors (stuck, needs cleaning, etc). So, that basic on/off function may be all I really need. Will report back when I've had a chance to test.

Posted on
Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:12 pm
roussell offline

adamfox wrote:
I don't have one myself but did have an older model before replacing it with a Roomba 880, which I despise. ....

I've had two Roomba 650s die in the past month. I was considering an 880, but I see you seem to prefer the Neato. What were your problems with the 880, if you don't mind me asking.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:31 am
adamfox offline

roussell wrote:
adamfox wrote:
I don't have one myself but did have an older model before replacing it with a Roomba 880, which I despise. ....

I've had two Roomba 650s die in the past month. I was considering an 880, but I see you seem to prefer the Neato. What were your problems with the 880, if you don't mind me asking.

Terry

My 880 get's stuck CONSTANTLY. When that happens, if I don't notice it right away the battery will die and reset the clock on the robot. Then you need to charge it before you can set the clock again. If you don't remember to do so, the Roomba will resume it's schedule, just at the wrong time. Which, for me usually ends up being in the middle of the night. I've had other Roomba's in the past and this one also seems to ram into my furniture with much greater force. The one thing I will say, though is that the upgraded rollers (it no longer uses brushes) are excellent and require far less maintenance.

Posted on
Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:09 am
McJohn offline

For many years now we use the Neato XV-15 every day. It works perfect.
This weekend we installed the new Neato Botvac. It's funny to control a vacuum cleaner with your iPhone :D !
It vacuums better than the old one with less noise.

But it would be wonderful if we can control the Botvac with Indigo!
Is there anyone who can develop a good working plugin? We give a bounty of 200 dollar.

Kind regards,

John

Posted on
Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:34 am
elov offline

Have anyone had any time and interest to look at integrating the Neato with Indigo yet?

Neato have published their API's here ( https://developers.neatorobotics.com ) so everything is good to go.
I'm ready to order a Botvac Connected soon and will certainly look forward to integrating it with Indigo so it will clean once houseMode is set to away (with temporary motion alarm inactivation) during the vacuum runtime.

Let me know if anyone have started this plugin development, otherwise I might refresh my python skills and make something useful for the community next year.

Posted on
Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 pm
elov offline

elov wrote:
Have anyone had any time and interest to look at integrating the Neato with Indigo yet?

Neato have published their API's here ( https://developers.neatorobotics.com ) so everything is good to go.
I'm ready to order a Botvac Connected soon and will certainly look forward to integrating it with Indigo so it will clean once houseMode is set to away (with temporary motion alarm inactivation) during the vacuum runtime.

Let me know if anyone have started this plugin development, otherwise I might refresh my python skills and make something useful for the community next year.

I have not had the time to learn how an Oauth2 integration should be done from a simple python script so I made myself a workaround that provides the basic (clean while I'm not at home).

Basically I used this PHP fork of the unofficial API http://github.com/tomrosenback/botvac/ and added a HTTP GET in a python script to a Action Group in Indigo.
So once I trigger the action group, the Botvac Connected robot starts cleaning, which it does on a regular basis once the home is armed/away-mode. Simple yet flexible! The trigger also looks at a variable so I can put the Botvac in maintenance and make sure it doesn't run to often.

The basic HTTP get with a status eval using requests in python is attached below:

Code: Select all
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
# -*- tab-width: 4; indent-tabs-mode: t -*-

import requests
r = requests.get("http://127.0.0.1/neato-botvac/examples/client.php")
if r.status_code == 200:
   indigo.server.log("Neato: API is alive, attempting to start house cleaning cycle")
   r2 = requests.get("http://127.0.0.1/neato-botvac/examples/robot.php")
   if r2.status_code == 200:
      indigo.server.log("Neato: House cleaning started.")
   else:
      indigo.server.log("Neato: Error starting cleaning cycle!")
else:
      indigo.server.log("Neato: Error contacting botvac API.")

Posted on
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 am
shapa offline

Updated the script to use basic-3 command set (Neato D7)

Otherwise works fine, now I'm starting cleaning from Indigo (2 times per day) instead of a built-in scheduler (only supporting 1 time per day),

Cleaning auto-off in case of "holidays" mode

Posted on
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:15 pm
shapa offline

Switched to the https://github.com/stianaske/pybotvac - using official API, calling external python3 scripts from the Indigo engine.

Works really well, including generated maps download

Page 1 of 1