Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:02 am
petematheson offline

Re: Messages app plugin

It's from messages Image

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:40 pm
gazally offline

I can't get my Messages to put up that message no matter what I try. I even tried giving it a handler with an infinite loop and that hung Messages but no Wait message appeared.

Then I googled and found this, which is people having a similar problem with the Speak Events handler: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/166797/imessage-speech-applescript-timing-out-after-upgrade-to-yosemite

Does yours do the same thing if you change Messages to use the Speak Events applescript handler?

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:03 pm
Seeker offline

gazally wrote:
Seeker, are you sure you don't have a Mark as Read action hiding in a trigger somewhere? I notice I omitted a debugLog message in that action, which I'll remedy, but that's the only place in the code where message status gets sent to Read.

Pete, I haven't encountered a Wait prompt. Is it coming from Messages or Indigo?

i'm not sure I even have this setup properly. In my 'test device' for the plugin, i have it set to send using iMessage, and send/receive to myself (from the list of all contacts or whatever that is). I just want to send notifications to myself.

If I check 'send and receive messages from all senders', i get this:

Action Group messages plugin test
Messages Error sendMessage was given empty message, handle or service. Message cannot be sent.

what's the best setup to simply send a message to my own account? I guess the concept is to set up a device for every person?

Posted on
Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:26 am
gazally offline

Both ways can work. You can set up one device per person if that makes your Indigo logic easier or you can use one device for everybody with "all senders" if you prefer. One way you are choosing who to respond to when you create the devices, and the other way if there's anyone you don't want Indigo to respond to then you have to put conditions in your triggers to handle that.

If you use "all senders" then you have to configure the Send Message action to choose who to send the message to or you'll get that error message you saw. One of the options there is to send back to the last person a message was received from.

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:47 am
petematheson offline

Strange - after a restart and also setting messages to none, restarting, then setting the script back - all seems ok!

Posted on
Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:49 pm
peteinau offline

Hi,

I'm getting an error message in my log when I receive a message. I have a trigger that runs when the status is set to New, but when it tries to execute the read message function.

Messages Error receiveMessage called without message, handle or service name

But there isn't any way to specify which message, handle or device to read a message from. Is that what the error is?

Thanks,
Pete

Posted on
Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:37 pm
gazally offline

Hi Pete,
Instead of the Receive Message action, try Mark current message read. Receive message is for scripting only, and it's how the Messages app communicates with Indigo. At this point I'm thinking I should have called it something else because it's kind of confusing.

Posted on
Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 am
mwoodage offline

Hi All,
Hopefully someone can help with a messages problem I have? Have a look at the image below, I keep getting an "E" in front of my email address or phone number. I know is a setting in the message account somewhere but i can't find it - any help would be appreciated as its causing an error in the messages app.

Thanks
Martin
Attachments
Messages.tiff
Messages.tiff (56.69 KiB) Viewed 6636 times

Posted on
Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:57 pm
virgahyatt offline

Is there anyway to have it send a file/image? I know how to do it with applescript but it would easier to do it through the plugin.

Just for an example this is the script

set theAttachment1 to POSIX file" /Users/lil/pic.png"
tell application "Messages"
send theAttachment1 to buddy "+1 (xxx) x7 " of service "E:yourappleid@gmail.com"
end tell

Posted on
Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:47 am
jabeard3 offline

I have a trigger that has multiple actions.
Basically, if device state changes then I want to send an e-mail and send 3 distinct message events via the Messages plugin. In the log (if I enable debug) I can see that all 3 are being sent however only the last device in the list is receiving the message.

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:44 pm
aldera offline

Hello,

I installed your Messages App Plugin and set up a device to send messages to my iPhone. I created a test trigger whose action is to use this device to send a message to my iPhone. The message does get sent to my iPhone. However, there is no notification (vibration/sound) on my phone that the message has arrived because the message is received as already being read. I believe this is because the Messages App on my MacMini also receives the same message and thus marks it as read. Is there any workaround for this since not getting any kind of notification on the iPhone kind of defeats the purpose of sending a message that requires immediate action? Thanks.

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:02 pm
peteinau offline

I handle this by creating a new iCloud account on my mac server that I use to communicate. That way you separate the "House" account form your personal account. This will stop it being read.

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:52 am
aldera offline

peteinau wrote:
I handle this by creating a new iCloud account on my mac server that I use to communicate. That way you separate the "House" account form your personal account. This will stop it being read.

But if I create a new account on the MacMini, then all of my apps on that computer (calendar, notes, contacts, etc., ) will lose sync with my iPhone and MacBook Pro data, correct? This is my main computer that I use all the time at home.

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:49 pm
petematheson offline

In that case I'd suggest changing to something like pushover instead. I've just switched over to getting general notifications from pushover now. iMessages are reserved just for sending photos from cctv cameras etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:37 pm
virgahyatt offline

You can be logged into more than one iCloud account within the same user profile. Some features are not available are not available to the secondary account (i.e. iCloud Drive) but messages is available. Then when you setup the device you choose the other account to send it with.