Plugin for Haiku Fan with SenseME

Posted on
Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:42 pm
bap offline

Plugin for Haiku Fan with SenseME

I've just rolled out version 0.1 of a new plugin for the Haiku fan from Big Ass Solutions (yup, that's the company name!).

If you have a Haiku fan with the optional SenseME module then this plugin will let you control it via Indigo. The plugin currently supports triggers and actions for the following:

• turning the fan on/off
  • adjusting the fan speed
  • turning the optional light on/off
  • adjusting the light brightness
  • turning fan or light motion detectors on/off

The plugin can be downloaded here.

Please keep in mind that this is the initial release so there's a chance it could be buggy. More importantly, Big Ass Solutions does not publish their API, so the plugin is based on analysis of the network traffic between the smartphone app and the fan. If Big Ass Solutions changes their protocol in the future then this plugin may very well stop working properly.

Please let me know if you have any questions, issues, etc.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:34 am
bap offline

Re: Plugin for Haiku Fan with SenseME

Version 0.3 of the Indigo plugin for Haiku Fans is now available. This version mostly improves the internal handling of events from the fan, and also adds both state and address information to the Devices display in the Indigo GUI.

Here's the direct download link to the plugin.

Posted on
Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:20 pm
Korey offline

Thanks for this!!

Now I just need 7 new fans!! :o

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:14 am
rapamatic offline

I'm very tempted by the haiku fans - they look quite nice but are obviously expensive. To those who have the fans, how happy have you been with their performance?

Posted on
Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:50 pm
bap offline

rapamatic wrote:
I'm very tempted by the haiku fans - they look quite nice but are obviously expensive. To those who have the fans, how happy have you been with their performance?

We've been very happy with ours. The installation instructions were clear, it was easy to set up, and it does everything they claim. The fan is very quiet & the smartphone app is very handy. And now that I can integrate it with Indigo I'm even happier.

We bought the optional light when we got ours, and the only issue we noticed was that the plastic lens cover would rattle slightly when the fan was running at a high speed. I sent a support request through their website and later that same day I got a call back from a guy who explained exactly how to place a few pieces of felt tape on the inside of the lens to stop the rattling. It's not been an issue since. I was really impressed with them calling me back as quickly as they did.

Posted on
Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:34 pm
bap offline

Version 0.4 of the SenseME plugin is now avialable. It's a minor update that improves event handling from the fan.

I also thought I should mention that the code is on github if anybody is interested in tinkering with it.

Posted on
Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:44 pm
Ramias offline

If I turn the fan on/off from the wall control or fan remote or app, will the plugin realize that and report status back to Indigo?

(Haven't bought the fan yet).

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:50 pm
Ramias offline

ok so I bought one of these fans (and ordered another one :)).

First, thanks for writing this plugin. I think it's great when people do this and share their work.

Some thoughts (for when I can figure out how to code/mod one of these)..

1. It doesn't update status in Indigo; only on plugin load. But when I turn on debug logging it s hows status updates frequently in the log but not in the UI.

Status polling at a configurable (or even a fixed) interval that shows current status in Indigo would be awesome.

2. Also, and I'm still thinking this through, if the light were broken out as a separate object, and treated as a dimmer, it could then give standard dimmer control over the light, for use with things like the Alexa plugin.

Again, thanks for doing this; this is just my wishlist/request and I may try to do this myself once my python skills increase a bit.

Posted on
Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:38 am
Marvel offline

rapamatic wrote:
I'm saved by Quick Extender Pro and very tempted by the haiku fans - they look quite nice but are obviously expensive. To those who have the fans, how happy have you been with their performance?

Hey, I'm very happy with my fans. Had them for 6 months not and still working great.
Last edited by Marvel on Fri May 06, 2022 4:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

Posted on
Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:54 am
chasyori offline

2016-12-01 07:44:44.728 SenseME Fan Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

can someone help me out here

Posted on
Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:10 am
bap offline

HI all,

I've just released version 0.6 of the SenseME plugin,. This is a pretty major update to the plugin. The underlying method by which Indigo receives events from the fan has been completely rewritten, and actions/triggers for smarter heating, smarter cooling, whoosh mode, and the motion detector have all been added.

For those interested in the gory details, after a recent firmware update to the fans they no longer broadcast state changes via UDP, so you can no longer just set up a UDP listener to receive state changes. So the plugin now spawns a thread for each fan whose sole purpose is to establish a TCP connection to the fan and listen on that connection for messages from the fan. Those messages are queued so that the main plugin thread can then process them.

Here's the direct download link to the plugin.

As always, the source for the plugin is available on GitHub for those who want to take a look at it.

Posted on
Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:13 am
bap offline

chasyori wrote:
2016-12-01 07:44:44.728 SenseME Fan Error plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

can someone help me out here

Please try upgrading to version 0.6 of the plugin, which was just released. If you continue to see this error then turn on debugging of the plugin (in the configuration of the plugin) and see what else shows up in the log. Let me know if you see any other errors in the log.

Posted on
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 am
jenwill1 offline

Bruce,

Thanks for the plugin ! I recently built a new home and put all Haiku fans in....

I have a Rec Room where I have two L-Series fans with lights hooked up to a single Haiku wall control.
Will the plugin work in this configuration ?

Any way to utilize the capture the motion sensor state to detect presence without turning on the fan or light motion-activated feature ?

Thanks !

Posted on
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 am
jenwill1 offline

Bruce,

Thanks for the plugin ! I recently built a new home and put all Haiku fans in....

I have a Rec Room where I have two L-Series fans with lights hooked up to a single Haiku wall control.
Will the plugin work in this configuration ?

Any way to utilize the capture the motion sensor state to detect presence without turning on the fan or light motion-activated feature ?

Thanks !

Posted on
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:28 am
jenwill1 offline

I answered my own question....

After trying to setup both fans and the wall control... I finally setup the one fan directly wired to the wall control and it operates the two fans perfectly.

Have not checked to see if I can utilize the motion sensor yet....

Thanks