Twitter plugin

Posted on
Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:56 am
broadk offline

Twitter plugin

Everyone,

I spent a little time this weekend writing myself a twitter plugin for Indigo with support for direct messaging to/from Indigo. It's not the simplest setup as you need to create a twitter application but there is little I can do to avoid this. By creating triggers you can action and respond to messages from yourself (or another user).

The code can be found at: https://github.com/KieranBroadfoot/Twitter.indigoPlugin and I would advise reading the readme before getting started.

One word of warning. The plugin utilises two separate subcomponents to send/recv with twitter which run the system default python and the IPC needs improvements.

Good luck, and hope it helps someone.

k.

Posted on
Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Twitter plugin

Terrific – I just updated the Notification category to include it. Thanks for sharing it with the community!

Posted on
Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:19 am
broadk offline

I have updated my Twitter plugin with a number of bug fixes and improvements. It should be noted that with this release I have moved twitter responses from triggers to action groups as per the README. In particular I have also included support for gazally's Chatbot plugin. Details on how to configure this are listed below:

1. Update the plugin from github
  2. Update the plugin's configuration by enabling the checkbox supporting the Chatbot and enter the ID of your chatbot responder
  3. Reload the plugin
  4. Configure a trigger as follows:
    1. Trigger: Device State Changed for your Chatbot becomes equal to Ready
    2. Action: Send a Twitter Direct Message (Recipient = currentTWHandle, Tweet = ${indigo.devices[12345678].states["response']}) where 12345678 is the ID of your Chatbot responder

If everything goes according to plan any Direct Message to your home twitter account will allow you to interact with your chatbot. At this time the plugin will still attempt to match against known action groups before forwarding any message to your chatbot to ensure no existing functionality is broken.

Please do let me know if you have any issues.
k.

Posted on
Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:01 pm
broadk offline

Actually, the previous version was a little too hokey for my liking. The updated code on github (0.0.6) no longer requires a restart of the plugin after configuration and does *NOT* require the custom trigger. The plugin will monitor for changes on the chatbot device and act accordingly.

Please do let me know if you are using this plugin and experience any issues.
k.

Posted on
Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:48 am
broadk offline

Very minor update to v0.0.7 to make the receipt of twitter direct messages more reliable during network issues.

thanks, k.

Posted on
Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:39 am
broadk offline

Now Indigo 7 is available I am making v1.0 of this plugin available. It can be downloaded from the releases page at https://github.com/KieranBroadfoot/Twitter.indigoPlugin

This significantly improves performance of the plugin with fully native support for Twitter removing the ugly inter-process communication of the past which was less than reliable. I've also improved the configuration of the service from the plugin's menu. Integration with gazelly's chat plugin has been improved and creates a very powerful solution for text based interaction with Indigo.

Please provide bug reports if you find anything amiss, or let me know if you'd like additional improvements to be made.
k.

Posted on
Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:44 am
broadk offline

v1.1 now available from GitHub at https://github.com/KieranBroadfoot/Twitter.indigoPlugin/releases to resolve an annoying error when the user has not yet created their credentials.

Posted on
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:55 am
FlyingDiver offline

Are you planning on adding this to the plugin store? It's already on GitHub, so it'll be pretty easy.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:46 am
broadk offline

Joe,

My understanding is that the API endpoints I have been using in this plugin will be deprecated by Twitter in mid-August. I have been struggling to find time to update this plugin as it has diminished in value for me over time. I'll add to the plugin store if I can guarantee it will perform correctly post-changes.

Thanks
k.

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:29 am
FlyingDiver offline

I forgot about that change. That does seem to be a bit of a mess. The Python library authors (the one you use and others) are all silent on the topic.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1