Lutron RadioRA 2 (and Caseta) plugin

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:32 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Lutron RadioRA 2 (and Caseta) plugin

According to the Lutron website:

RA2 Select can receive inbound Lutron Integration Protocol command strings from third-party systems over the Ethernet. This protocol is public, so technically RA2 Select can integrate with any system that has the ability to send this type of command. RA2 Select cannot send custom outbound commands over the Ethernet.

So the plugin should work fine. Might need some tweaking for the initial connection.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:58 pm
Dlucas10 offline

jenwill1 wrote:
Put in the Network Socket info and it started working ?!?

Yes. I thought the plugin would "copy" the IP address I entered in the address field to the Network Socket filed, but it does not. So I added this:

connection type = Network Socket
socket address = socket://<IP_ADDRESS

Hope this helps. I would have replied earlier, but I was on vacation!

Dave

Posted on
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:02 pm
spiv offline

Awesome job on the plugin!

I can confirm that it works with my Radio RA2 Select main repeater/hub that I just received today (my first foray into Lutron as a potential replacement for Insteon).

It worked on the (2nd) try. Thanks to the long thread here, I found I needed to put the IP address of the repeater in two places in the plug-in configuration screen.

I've attached a screenshot. This should be added to the documentation to save other newbies from repeating this well-known mistake?

I have a minimal system - just a Radio RA2 Select with a plug-in RA2 lamp dimmer. Purposely chosen so I can "bench test" everything without worrying about the in-wall wiring. I am assuming that it will work when many more RA2 Select devices are added, but want to be clear so YMMV.

I recently attended a Lutron official Radio RA2 Select in-person training and I'm really excited about this new system. With Lutron directly supporting Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, and adding Google Home in 2018, this looks like a really solid "prosumer" choice that avoids HomeBridge shim and stays all within manufacturer supported or Indigo plugins only.

I don't have any Caseta, but I am really interested in knowing if I could support both Caseta and Radio RA2 Select installed in the same house at the same time. If Indigo can be the backward/forward integration for adopting existing Caseta installation while moving forward with new gear as Radio RA2 Select it is a killer combination.

Lutron itself makes it clear that for a consumer to move from Caseta to Radio RA2 Select, it is basically a "rip and replace" with no upgrade option.

My understanding is that Caseta dimmers and switches only speak Caseta protocol and that is the issue. It is probably a different firmware load inside the Caseta dimmers/switches themselves and not something that can be field upgraded, even if they wanted to.

They are also restricting purchase of RA2 Select to dealers only. No retail sales and they don't expect consumers as the installer - only dealers. From a user point of view, RA2 Select installation is exactly the same as Caseta. It is even the same iOS/Android App - they released an updated app that talks to both systems from the same app.

From reading the threads, I see some folks here are already using full Radio RA2 and either had it installed by a dealer and then "took it over" or got themselves set up with the training and software tools and found a distributor that would sell it to them. I assume the same thing will happen with Radio RA2 Select except you really don't need any training since it is all app based.
Attachments
small Screen Shot.png
small Screen Shot.png (266.84 KiB) Viewed 5713 times

Posted on
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:13 pm
FlyingDiver offline

If you're using IP communications, (IP box checked), I don't think you need that last section filled out at all. Personally, I've never used the serial connection. My system has the popup as "Local (Physical)" and nothing selected for a serial port. The plugin won't even try to use that info if you're using an IP connection.

If you can, try taking out that info (use my settings) and see if it still works. I think it will.

I tried once to hide that section of the config screen when the IP box is checked, but was not able to because of some trickery Indigo is doing when a serial port field is present on the config dialog.

I guess I could add some text to the box saying ignore this section if you're using IP.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:48 pm
spiv offline

When the last (serial) section was blank, I kept getting the error:

AttributeError: 'Plugin' object has no attribute 'connIP'

Posted on
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 pm
FlyingDiver offline

spiv wrote:
When the last (serial) section was blank, I kept getting the error:

AttributeError: 'Plugin' object has no attribute 'connIP'

What did you have the popup set to? Was it "Local (Physical)"?

And what version of the plugin are you running? I just tried changing the settings on mine, and no matter what I have those last sections set to, it works for me.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:53 pm
spiv offline

The plug reports this version info:

Lutron RRA2/Caséta 7.0.3

(Sidenote: This is probably more of a Indigo Forums issue, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to find the absolute latest version of a plugin and the proper place to download. Some plugin are on GitHub and some are download files from the Indigo forum hosting software?

Especially when reading through the whole threads on a plugin for the first time (first time for someone that hasn't used that particular plugin yet), it is difficult to separate historical posts about bugs and enhancements that are obsolete versus current/latest info.

I wish the forums had a way to mark threads as archives or historical and have plugin threads based on the revision level so it would be easier to follow current info only)

Posted on
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:24 am
FlyingDiver offline

spiv wrote:
The plug reports this version info:

Lutron RRA2/Caséta 7.0.3

That's the correct version. I don't understand why you're getting that error message when you don't specify the serial port info. If the IP button is checked, that info is never used.

I am unable to reproduce the error you're getting.

Can you clear that info, restart the plugin, and post the log entries after the restart?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:17 am
spiv offline

Hi,

It works fine now. I tried but can't get it to reproduce those results. No errors in the logs including full debug logs.

Posted on
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:25 am
FlyingDiver offline

spiv wrote:
Hi,

It works fine now. I tried but can't get it to reproduce those results. No errors in the logs including full debug logs.

Hmm. May be one of those plugs that only shows up on a clean (no saved preferences) start.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:19 pm
vtmikel offline

Joe,

Today I enabled Informational Messaging because I decided I would like to see state updates that happen outside of Indigo in my logs. I came back later to find my logs being saturated with continuous "Received" messages for every device in my house. Any thoughts or has this happened to you?

EDIT: Never-mind. It happens when someone opens SimpleControl at my house, which also integrates with Lutron. Any way that the Informational messages could be filtered to only when the state value actually changes?

Mike

Posted on
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:50 pm
FlyingDiver offline

vtmikel wrote:
EDIT: Never-mind. It happens when someone opens SimpleControl at my house, which also integrates with Lutron. Any way that the Informational messages could be filtered to only when the state value actually changes?

Hmm. That would require considerable logic in a section of code that just reports messages coming from the repeater. I don't think I want to go there. I might look into changing the log level of those messages, however. But then you'd probably be missing ones you're looking for.

Post a section of the log so I can see what you're getting and I'll think about it.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:44 pm
gt3mike offline

Hi -

I'm still finishing up my RR2 implementation and have just installed Indigo and this RR2 plugin. Is the best practice for importing RR2 devices into Indigo still the procedure outlined here (http://jimandnoreen.com/?p=115 ) or is a more automated process available now?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:49 pm
FlyingDiver offline

gt3mike wrote:
Hi -

I'm still finishing up my RR2 implementation and have just installed Indigo and this RR2 plugin. Is the best practice for importing RR2 devices into Indigo still the procedure outlined here (http://jimandnoreen.com/?p=115 ) or is a more automated process available now?

Thanks,
Mike

No, there's nothing more automated. I ended up doing all mine by hand, with a lot of "duplicate device" then edit.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 pm
gt3mike offline

Thanks for the quick reply! :)