What is the coolest feature of your Indigo setup?

Posted on
Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:18 pm
terrydew offline

Re: What is the coolest feature of your Indigo setup?

Wow. Do you get these often?

Posted on
Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Doh! You have that kind of visitor much?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 pm
AlaskaDave offline

terrydew wrote:
Wow. Do you get these often?

Often enough. We have an animal trail that bring in rabbit, ermin, bear, deer and otter at times. The other day I watched a bear walk up to a fire pit of coals in my yard and stick his nose in it. Thought he'd jump back 10 feet and run but he acted like it was no big deal. These guys are tough.

This is the email that told me something is up. The motion is over the door for when I let the dogs out. I plan to add one on the back of the house so as to swing the camera to the right when motion is detected on the hillside.

Posted on
Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 pm
Ericbo offline

Pretty new to Indigo but sofar (and with a lot of help from Matt, Jay, Ben, Nat ... well many ..):
* a nice frost warning ahead of time so I can protect my fruit trees
* sprinklers that just use enough water and not too much depending of the temperature and the rain
* a home alarm system that covers outside movement, doors, windows, inside movement
* iPhone controls of the lights (my youngest loves switching off lights from her bed)
Thanks to all for the help !!

Posted on
Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:17 pm
Nono offline

When the postman deliver some mails, my wife and me receive an iMessage on our iPhones. :-)

Posted on
Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:05 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Not my most Indigoey idea ever but it's a lot of fun to experiment with.
The effects on the LPD8806 LED strip are run from an Arduino triggered by Indigo
with serial commands. (thanks to Richard for that!)

Have it doing some notifications like flashing when the phone rings etc.

Here's a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W7zK_cc ... ata_player

Carl

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:57 pm
bighop offline

Very Cool.

I connected the garage link kit. Last night I went to a movie. Just after the movie I get a text that my garage was open. My son took out the trash and left the garage open. I sent him a text and closed the garage. That is a real piece of mind to know I can catch mistakes like that.

Posted on
Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:47 am
Ericbo offline

bighop wrote:
Very Cool.

I connected the garage link kit. Last night I went to a movie. Just after the movie I get a text that my garage was open. My son took out the trash and left the garage open. I sent him a text and closed the garage. That is a real piece of mind to know I can catch mistakes like that.

Thanks for sharing Bighop, may I ask what is the hardware ? (an open/close sensor on the door ?). Much appreciated !

Posted on
Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:00 am
roussell offline

Ericbo wrote:
bighop wrote:
Very Cool.

Thanks for sharing Bighop, may I ask what is the hardware ? (an open/close sensor on the door ?). Much appreciated !

Probably this one: http://www.smarthome.com/74551/I-O-Linc-INSTEON-Garage-Door-Control-Status-Kit/p.aspx

Terry

Posted on
Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:45 pm
bighop offline

That is it. Very easy install.

Followed the tutorials here for the notification alert.

Also noticed a drop in my gas bill with the new thermostat. I like having my heat go off five minutes before my simulated sunrise... It's system is fun. I want to start adding some motion sensors next

Posted on
Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:42 am
hughjc offline

Version 6 finally gave me the incentive to scrap my 25 year old x10 based system and switch to z-wave. I have been having a great time and have developed a whole new system that goes way beyond lighting control. I have included the following:

1. Lighting control, both timed and scenes. The speed and consistency of the z-wave system makes it all worth while. I also got a motion detector working with my garage lights.
2. Hue lights for my exterior lighting. Using the Hue plugin I can not only time the 3 different lamps, I can change their colors. Red and green for christmas right now.
3. A new Nest thermostat which I control with Indigo rather than the Nest system. I have programmed schedules based on my status (Home, Out or Away) and the temperature setting responds (warmer when I am home, not so warm when I am just out and much cooler when I am away). I use the Nest plugin for this.
4. Whole house audio. This was my favorite surprise. I have 4 Apple TVs around the house. Using the iTunes plugin I can control my server mac upstairs with my itunes collection. I use different actions for a few of my favorite playlists. I also created two playlists each with a single radio station. I can push a button and listen to my favorite radio stations upstairs and downstairs. Each appletv can still be individually controlled.
5. I found a couple of inexpensive Coby 7 inch tablets that I have set up as keypads (one in kitchen by the door and one in my office). I also use an old iPad in the living room. These show different control screens for each setting. The screen lets me control lights, choose a playlist of radio station to play, volume controls and previous/last/pause controls and a way to set my status as I leave the house. They also show the time, date and weather.

I'm having a great time with this. I love the amount of control I will have when I am away on business. Drapery control is next and I am learning some python, so who knows...

Hughjc

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:27 am
ryanbuckner offline

The coolest feature of my home automation setup is the 4 year old that automatically barges into the bathroom after determining occupancy.

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:12 am
JS9 offline

A fun one for me is using the email scanning functionality of Indigo along with an IOLinc and Audio/Video Detector Probe.. If I order food online via Seamless or Delivery.Com, Indigo arms the buzzer downstairs to trigger the IOLinc to open door when delivery guy buzzes - no more running to hit the buzzer!

Not the most exciting feature in the world but one that really works for me..

Posted on
Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:06 am
ryanbuckner offline

JS9 wrote:
A fun one for me is using the email scanning functionality of Indigo along with an IOLinc and Audio/Video Detector Probe.. If I order food online via Seamless or Delivery.Com, Indigo arms the buzzer downstairs to trigger the IOLinc to open door when delivery guy buzzes - no more running to hit the buzzer!

Not the most exciting feature in the world but one that really works for me..

Very cool. Can you go into a little more detail about how this works?

Posted on
Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:10 pm
JS9 offline

I have a buzzer panel inside my apartment that I was able to open up..

-After cutting off the RCA connector on the Insteon Audio/Video Detector Probe, I connected it to the two wires inside the panel responsible for driving the speaker when someone buzzes downstairs - the other side (1/8" connector) goes into the input sensor of an IOLinc.

-Wired the output of the IOLinc to the two wires responsible for triggering the door downstairs to open.

-Set an email trigger based on receiving something with 'Confirmed' or 'Your Delivery' in the subject. When an email is detected, it enables another trigger named "Door Open"

-The "Door Open" trigger is based on receiving any binary input from the IRLinc (when door buzzes). When that happens, it turns on the output of the IRLinc (opening door), sends a growl notification that the door has been opened (prowl sends to phone in case I didn't hear buzzer) and then disables the trigger after 3m to prevent someone from always being able to get in (if they happen to press my buzzer)..

Let me know if I can provide any further info.