Alexa, Bosley farted...

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 pm
roussell offline

Alexa, Bosley farted...

It's the strangest and most unsuspected things that get the highest spousal approval...

We have a 9 year old, pit/boxer mix dog (Bosley) that has the worst gas imaginable. It's loud, constant, and so stinky that it can clear a room quickly. There are no words that can accurately convey the stench this dog can generate. He's always had the problem, even as a puppy, no matter what type of dog food he has (currently on vet-prescribed, but it doesn't help)

As mostly a joke, I used the excellent Alexa-Hue Plugin to map an Alexa device to a custom action group in Indigo. Then on the Alexa app, I created a routine that is called "Bosley Farted" and pointed it to the device/action group in Indigo.

Later that evening, we're sitting in bedroom and Boz lets one go - I say "Alexa, Bosley farted", She replies "OK" and the ceiling fan comes on, the HVAC switches from auto to on, and the master bathroom exhaust vent comes on. 5 minutes later, everything turns off/returns to normal. My wife dies laughing and says "oh my God thats the best thing you've ever done!". A week later and we're using it multiple times per day!! Last night I was in the kitchen and I heard our six year old say from the living room "Awwexa bozzy fawteddd" , to which she dutifully switched on the ventilation!

If only Alexa could have custom responses, that would make it perfect!

Terry

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Alexa, Bosley farted...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:15 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Awesome!

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:49 pm
mundmc offline

Win!
Keep us posted on your Amazon recommendations for canine digestive health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Hilarious!

I'm not going to convey that to anyone around here, or we might get a request for "Alexa, Jay farted"...

Getting old is hell...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:47 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:
Getting old is hell...

I've been saying that and all you come back with is "we aren't going to fix fonts for you old farts", well it would appear that you are claiming to be an old fart!

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:27 pm
DaveL17 offline

This is a win for sure.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I've been saying that and all you come back with is "we aren't going to fix fonts for you old farts", well it would appear that you are claiming to be an old fart!

Ah, but I said that after admitting to wearing progressive lenses to fix that particular old man issue. And I didn't claim not to be an old man, only that I wasn't going to fix old man issues! :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:53 pm
kw123 offline

The bme680 sensor does that automatically.

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:53 pm
roussell offline

Alexa, Bosley farted...

kw123 wrote:
The bme680 sensor does that automatically.

Yeh I’ve thought about a gas sensor, but I think our noses are much more sensitive and faster acting than anything else with this particular toxin; plus it’s fun putting in some interesting data points for Alexa’s analytic team!!

I have thought about using the BME680 in bathrooms though!

Terry

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:05 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

You could also put one of those Fibaro big red button devices someplace so that when Bosley let's one go you can hit that and get that old-time "weewah-weewah" alarms, with a siren flashing...

But then again I renamed my garage door to "pod bay doors" so I can say "Hey Siri, open the pod bay doors". My wife rolls her eyes every time I tell Siri that, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking she's going to say "what do you think you are doing Dave?" - and my name isn't even Dave :shock: :shock: :shock:

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:03 pm
DaveL17 offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
But then again I renamed my garage door to "pod bay doors" so I can say "Hey Siri, open the pod bay doors". My wife rolls her eyes every time I tell Siri that, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking she's going to say "what do you think you are doing Dave?" - and my name isn't even Dave :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back in the day, I used HAL for boot / shutdown audio on my work pc.

I would so totally do this.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:52 pm
Japple55 offline

Seriously funny thread...you guys are crazy!

Posted on
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:55 am
Different Computers offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
You could also put one of those Fibaro big red button devices someplace so that when Bosley let's one go you can hit that and get that old-time "weewah-weewah" alarms, with a siren flashing...

Think BIGGER! Train Bosley to press the button himself! I used the combo of my Indigo camera control pages and remote lighting control to wake up my previous dog, get her to go to the window, after which she realized there were deer in the yard and she ran out to chase them off my plants.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:11 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Back in the day, I used HAL for boot / shutdown audio on my work pc.

I would so totally do this.

First off, you should do this because you only live once and for the first time since that time you can! Oh and I did the same with my computer and I remember having all my computer icons on Mac and PC set up with HAL sensor eyes and all of that - my wallpaper was one huge HAL sensor.

Different Computers wrote:
Think BIGGER! Train Bosley to press the button himself! I used the combo of my Indigo camera control pages and remote lighting control to wake up my previous dog, get her to go to the window, after which she realized there were deer in the yard and she ran out to chase them off my plants.

BIGGER? Three is nothing bigger than saying to my home automation "Open the pod bay doors" until I have the ability to call Siri HAL. That aside, that's pretty funny about your dog ;).

Check Them Out Here