Sprinkler Control: Simple Integration of the Hunter Pro-C

Posted on
Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:47 am
ar26pt2 offline

Sprinkler Control: Simple Integration of the Hunter Pro-C

I'm just getting caught up to getting my HA system fully functioning again since moving last summer. New house has a 13 zone irrigation system with a Hunter Pro-C controller. A while ago I wrote about controlling my old rainbird system with a simple appliancelinc here http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=12013.

I like the Hunter system. It works and is easy to program. It has built in battery backup and seems reliable.

Last night I got out the old ohmmeter and discovered the rain sensor is a NC circuit that OPENs when activated. The two leads of the rain sensor plug into the two SEN leads in the Hunter panel.

I used an old IOLinc (that I formerly controlled garage with) and wired the COM and NC outputs to the two SEN terminals in the Hunter. For kicks I even wired the two rain sensor leads as inputs on the iolinc to track its status (I dont think the rain sensor works well though anyway).

Now I have an insteon controller that can shut my sprinkler OFF without just killing power to it. I basically now use logic of recent rainfall totals and next day precip forecast to make the iolinc output OPEN OR CLOSED. If output terminals are OPEN then no irrigation, if CLOSED then irrigation proceeds however the Hunter panel is programmed. I program the Hunter controller as usual.

I use a datestamp variable in the scripting for "last date irrigation was on". My former logic algorithm got a little crazy and m y old sprinkler hardly ever actually ran. I will make the logic simpler this time.

Have a happy day automating! ar

Posted on
Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:04 am
jalves offline

Re: Sprinkler Control: Simple Integration of the Hunter Pro-

Interesting approach! Would love to see pictures of the install.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Page 1 of 1