Tell me about your lock implementation

Posted on
Thu May 26, 2016 9:18 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Tell me about your lock implementation

My experience running the Lock/Vera/Bridge combination for about 2 years was pretty good. My Kwikset lock only needed battery changes about every 9-10 months. The Vera's battery level report was pretty unreliable - it would go from 30% to dead very quickly - but once I figured it out I just adjusted my notifications accordingly.

The Vera Lite is what I used - it's pretty slow (anywhere from 3-5 seconds from the time Indigo told it to lock/unlock until the lock actually performed. The Vera was about 30' from the lock, through 2 walls, and seemed to communicate reliably enough. Also, I'd periodically have to reboot the Vera (maybe every 2 months or so) because it would just stop responding to API calls. But overall it wasn't a bad solution.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu May 26, 2016 9:39 am
johnpolasek offline

I haven't had any problems with a Vera lite and Kwikset Z-wave over the past 6 months either. I haven't had any Reset problems (although a couple of power failures have been long enough to overrum the UPS) and the 2 to 5 second delay between "Send" and "Receive confirmation" doesn't particularly bother me. The lock is still at 50% battery (I'll keep an eye on that since Jay mentioned it) which is on par with the kwikset Kevos that need replacement about once per year. I just wish that either somebody would extend the Verabridge to forward ALL "simple" Zwave device data to Indigo as if it were a dumb Z-stick OR (prefereably) Kwikset got their head out of the clouds and implemented more open access to both the Z-wave and Kevo Plus so I could access them from Indigo without going through the Vera.

Posted on
Thu May 26, 2016 9:45 am
akimball offline

Having experience with only MiLock/InsteonDoorController, along with HDS to detect deadbolt position, I'm wondering how this combination compares with Lock/Vera/Bridge combination? Anyone have experience with both? So many seem to use the Vera approach and I'm wondering if I'm missing out. I do have 2 more exterior doors as candidates for door lock automation.

On related topic, remote controlled automation of sliding glass door locks, I have received information that Lockey USA may be coming out with an electronically activated version of this: http://www.lockeyusa.com/c150.html
...which would be very welcome for automation of my back-doors. On my home, all the back doors are sliding glass doors so this would be a great product for my home. Keeping fingers crossed.

-Al

Posted on
Thu May 26, 2016 11:16 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks johnpolasek, thanks Jay - I don't have a wired network connection anywhere near my door so I'm assuming I would need to use the VeraEdge since it has WiFi. Has anyone used that model with Indigo. Also, my door locks are Schlage Connects - has anyone used those with the Vera.

And finally has anyone done an extension via z-wave to reach a second door that is out of range of the controller (my second door is in my garage, so I doubt it would be in range of the controller).

Any help would be very much appreciated ...

_______
Norm