I abandoned ST at just the right time.

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:15 am
Different Computers offline

I abandoned ST at just the right time.

I'm still getting stuff working, but this has really been a painless process--at least from the Indigo side! Every issue I've had has been either a problem with getting stuff OUT of SmartThings so I can add it to Indigo, or my own error from getting logic wrong in Indigo.

But on that last bit, I have to say that actually figuring out what I did wrong is SO MUCH EASIER in Indigo than it ever was in the convoluted ST SmartApps model, not to mention the very limited way that ST handled logging. (In ST, to get a real log, you have to turn it on BEFORE you have a problem.)

Today I went back to the ST forums to try to find users there who might care to swap some Z-wave gear for some Zigbee gear that I can't use any more. Lo and behold, there's a full blown developer revolt going on there, with the makers of the two most heavily used SmartApps: SmartTiles (which adds very basic Control Pages to ST) and SmartRules (which adds primitive If-If-Then-Then rules to ST*) having withdrawn their apps in protest of the platform's ongoing severe reliability problems.

Here's why I'm posting this, aside from giving kudos to the whole platform and the plugin developers: This is a great opportunity for Indigo Domotics to lure over some new customers. I don't have the slightest idea how you guys do your marketing or what you might want to do, but the time has never been better for sniping a bunch of ST customers.

*yeah, out of the box it doesn't have that!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1