Post Pics of Your Control Pages! (LOCKED - create new topic)

Posted on
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:25 pm
rapamatic offline

Re: Post Pics of Your Control Pages HERE!

Professor Falken wrote:
Thanks. I actually really enjoy building highly customized CP's. Now, if I could only convince my wife to let me mount tablet based controllers all over the house...

What program are you using to make these control pages? I'm struggling through putting stuff together with just the standard images and controls built into Indigo, but obviously all the cool interfaces in this thread rely on some work outside Indigo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:01 pm
noel1983 offline

Forgiveness is easier to get than permission ;)

Posted on
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:08 pm
Different Computers offline

rapamatic wrote:
What program are you using to make these control pages? I'm struggling through putting stuff together with just the standard images and controls built into Indigo, but obviously all the cool interfaces in this thread rely on some work outside Indigo?

Not who you asked, but between Keynote, Preview and every now and then Pixelmator, I have everything I need to make backgrounds and buttons.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:34 pm
Professor Falken offline

rapamatic wrote:

Usually a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator. If I want a specialized button or image, a lot of times I'll go find something online as a start, use illustrator to trace it, change colors, make aesthetic adjustments, etc., then bring that over to Photoshop to finalize it. When I make something from scratch (like the clock with moving weights, and a lot of my buttons) I'll usually start in Illustrator.

To get things sized/spaced appropriately and well positioned, I'll usually build the entire page in a photoshop document, then drag the various components into a second document to save each one as a PNG. Those are the ones that are then dragged into the correct folder in Indigo.

When I first started, I even saved the words as static images (or sometimes, really stupidly, as part of the background). I've now decided that it's far better to just use the included font options within the CP editor (even if I'd really prefer a different font or kerning or something) to allow for much easier page changes later on.

Posted on
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:02 pm
bsp9493 offline

Ohhhh... never thought of Keynote or Powerpoint - Thanx for that...

Basically, LOTS of time. If what I need is not there, I end up finding, or modifying (color, size, transparency, etc) with some kind of picture editor, save as png, then try it out. If I don't like the size, or object, I keep looking, trying, resizing, until I get something I am happy with. I don't have photoshop or illustrator (never been very good with those:(, but I have been using lunapic online to do most of my editing.

Recently, as someone here suggested, I found a fine grid, and have been using it as an initial background when placing text and columns, tedious, but it works:)

Posted on
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:38 pm
bsp9493 offline

Couple ideas for a SONOS page, below...

I have recently started using refreshing images - selecting one of the preconfigured indigo files - in this case "light button outline large 2x.png" from the static directory. Dynamically size it to what I want, then layer everything I want on top of it.

With the first image, once I get everything the way I want it in the top bar, I will duplicate multiple times for all the speakers in the system. Not sure how it's gonna end up yet:(

d
Attachments
imageedit_3_2086729675.png
imageedit_3_2086729675.png (225.68 KiB) Viewed 27339 times
imageedit_1_7886220116.png
imageedit_1_7886220116.png (281.69 KiB) Viewed 27339 times

Posted on
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:20 pm
Sharek326 offline

rapamatic wrote:
Professor Falken wrote:
Thanks. I actually really enjoy building highly customized CP's. Now, if I could only convince my wife to let me mount tablet based controllers all over the house...

I build all my graphics is Adobe Fireworks. I have tried a few other programs but I have used Fireworks for so long I just wasn't as comfortable with them and downgraded one of my Macs back to 10.11 just to do that. If you or anyone else wants anything I use or have used feel free to let me know I can zip them up and send them out...

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:58 am
jens offline

Sharek326 wrote:
rapamatic wrote:
Professor Falken wrote:

I build all my graphics is Adobe Fireworks. I have tried a few other programs but I have used Fireworks for so long I just wasn't as comfortable with them and downgraded one of my Macs back to 10.11 just to do that. If you or anyone else wants anything I use or have used feel free to let me know I can zip them up and send them out...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:59 am
jens offline

jens wrote:
Sharek326 wrote:
rapamatic wrote:
Professor Falken wrote:

Really want that, please send :)

//Jens

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 am
durosity offline

Wow some nice ones lately.

It feels like we've not seen many new control page layouts in the last couple of years.. i'm guessing that alternate control options that have appeared have kinda reduced the reliance on control pages. I know i seldom use mine anymore (except my wall mounted iPads), I almost exclusively use Homebridge related items via the home app or siri. I know a lot of people like using alexa too.. although i have to say my experience with it was poor.

That said it hasn't stopped me recently revamping my control pages a bit.. I'll post some updated screenshots when i get it finished, hopefully in the next few weeks :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:36 am
rapamatic offline

Thanks for all the ideas. Looks like there really isn’t one best practice for this. A lot of using what people are familiar with (and I’m not familiar with any graphics software!)

I agree that between my Lutron keypads and picos, Alexa, and even my Harmony remotes there isn’t as much demand for panels, and I haven’t really focused on them before. But as I put up more security cameras, and add more “smart automation” I think I could benefit from an interface to show camera feeds (see who’s at the front door when the doorbell rings) and manage my automation configuration....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 am
Different Computers offline

I think I could benefit from an interface to show camera feeds (see who’s at the front door when the doorbell rings) and manage my automation configuration....

I have no idea what if any camera software you're using, but if you're looking for a very simple way to manage feeds, look at the Dynamic Refreshing URL Server plugin. It's of particular use for control pages.

viewtopic.php?f=134&t=18729&hilit=Dynamic+URL

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:21 pm
amannone offline

I've done some basic control pages in the past - mostly as curiosities. However I've started to get into having a cohesive theme and this is the result. First is the over view page which gives me at-a-glance feedback of different rooms and controlling house modes. The second shows custom dynamic icons for the individual channels of the RGBW Controllers I have. I plan to continue fleshing out the theme and features as I document use cases and user stories (which is something I put off as I do that for work).
Let me know what you guys think.
-Andrew

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 11.56.24 PM.jpg
House Overview
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 11.56.24 PM.jpg (467.5 KiB) Viewed 26887 times

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 11.09.49 PM.png
RGBW device overview
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 11.09.49 PM.png (295.88 KiB) Viewed 26887 times

Posted on
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:20 am
howartp offline

Panic!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:26 am
durosity offline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.