Dynamic Control Page: 1 Solution found so far.

Posted on
Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:12 am
whmoorejr offline

Dynamic Control Page: 1 Solution found so far.

One of the bigger things I've tried to tackle is a dynamic control page..... I haven't fine tuned it yet, but I wanted to bounce the idea around and see if anyone else had solutions for this....

(how you see the dynamic content) Mac Mini running indigo server and RemoteSite (from BenSoftware). I have a main home control page (basic home stuff on it... floor plan, etc.) with a refreshing image url that is sized to the same aspect ratio as my Mac Mini's monitor. The URL used is camera "0" which is the monitor of the computer running RemoteSite. (This can also be achieved with SecuritySpy and I think with EvoCam and I'm sure there are other softwares out there which allow you to stream your monitor.

(how you make the dynamic content). Apple script is my key for this. Indigo Triggers tell the mac via applescript to load a web page in safari which I keep running in full screen. The web pages I open are mostly other indigo control pages (the pages are sized to be full screen on the mac mini). So my trigger will open a page and place text into a variable as an overlay. The control pages I have so far are all camera images.

(what happens) While looking at the main control page up on a dedicated ipad (4 throughout the house so far), if someone rings the doorbell, Indigo trigger changes the "Alert Text" variable to "Door Bell: Someone is at the front door" and tells safari to open my front door control page which has a camera image of the front door and a text overlay for the Alert Text. This same page is loaded if there is motion at the front patio..... except the trigger changes the text to "Motion Detected: Front Patio"

Basically (Refreshing Image URL "camera" control page with variable message) within a refreshing image URL on a main control page.

I hope all the above made sense to people.... at least to people trying to do the same thing. When I figured this out and had my Eureka moment (All Indigo users have been there) I had to tell the first person (wife). Deer in headlights.

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:40 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic Control Page: 1 Solution found so far.

I like it. It is The Inception technique of doing image updates.

Page 1 of 1