Cheap option for automating Curtains or Blinds

Posted on
Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:51 pm
Chameleon offline

Cheap option for automating Curtains or Blinds

One of the things that my wife was very keen on was that the automation system could open and close the curtains in the house. Of course, we're not in a new place and replacing the curtains with something new and fancy would cost a lot so how could I achieve it and save money in the process.

Actually I discovered that it's really easy. Look online for "add a motor". They cost around £40 and they are a retro fit for existing curtains or blinds. Add in a z-wave relay or plug and you've got just about all you need. I run some curtain board around the motor, through the curtain rings and back again. If you're interested in how you need to run the cord let me know and I'll upload a "how to"diagram.

Once it's all connected all you need to do is set a schedule to switch the controlling relay on or off (or plug). The add a motor automatically toggles between open and close.

I've been running the systems on 4 sets of heavy curtains for over 5 months with no problems. It still scares the cats every time it happens but it's really good when we go away. Along with indigo's schedules, triggers and randomising the curtains open and close just when they're needed. I've also linked some of them to light sensors as well.

If you think a guide would be useful for me to upload let me know.

Mike

Posted on
Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:26 pm
smurfless offline

Re: Cheap option for automating Curtains or Blinds

Interesting, can you show us more? I'm looking for additional uses for the system.

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:05 am
howartp offline

Good to hear of someone using them successfully - I had one on our Venetian blinds but wasn't happy with it so its sat around doing nothing at moment.

Might try again on different window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:58 am
Chameleon offline

[DIAGRAM and GUIDE] added for automating Curtains or Blinds

howartp wrote:
Good to hear of someone using them successfully - I had one on our Venetian blinds but wasn't happy with it so its sat around doing nothing at moment.

Might try again on different window.

Hi all - took me a little while but I finally got around to drawing this out :D

I use an add a motor. The one I use is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Add-Motor-AD80-Drapery-Existing/dp/B003YVJ472

but I also tried a couple of others but this one seems to be the most reliable. They cost about £50 in the UK...

These devices are very simple. When a curtain cord is wrapped around them the device will pull the cord in one direction until it reaches a point (which you can define) and switches off. If the plug is turn off and then on again the motor will pull on the cord but in the opposite direction until it reaches another point that you set. So by turning the device on and off using Indigo the curtains will open or close.

To make sure that the curtains only Open when they are closed (and vice versa) I maintain a flag in indigo called [CurtainNameOpen] which is set to True or False. I have two action groups which either Open a Curtain or Close a Curtain with a condition that determines if the Curtain is already open or closed using the flag I mentioned. I've created some action groups that open all of the curtains or close all of them and even check is my daughter is at home so it doesn't open her curtains in the morning when I get up (:D)

It's important to use Curtain Cord not string because it's strong and doesn't stretch too much over time. Something like this. It's easily available.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-BLACK-WHITE-ROMAN-BLIND-LIGHT-PULL-CORD/121319939267?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33958%26meid%3D51f790dd70064be5ae739d536681d8b3%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D390679355344

This works with a curtain rod and rings only. You need create a continuous loop that goes from the motor, over the curtain rod bracket, along to the other end, around that bracket back to the first bracket, over the top of that and then back to the motor. Once you've done that you need to cut the cord and attach it to the curtain rings as shown in the diagram below. I tend to attach it to the second curtain ring in at each side because that closes them better.

Note that one curtain ring is attached to one side of the loop and the other to the other side. This is VERY important otherwise it won't work as both curtains will be travelling in the same direction. By tieing in this way they move in opposite directions.

Slide1.png
Cord diagram for automatic curtain opener
Slide1.png (93.66 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

Now you can run it around the motor and control it using a simple z wave plug. I suggest that you make sure that the cord runs freely (and works) before adding the motor.

On one of my windows I had an issue with the cord constantly sticking as it went around the bracket. To solve this issue I bought three mini pully brackets, attached them to the wall and range the cord through these (two pullies on the lefthand side for the two cords and one on the righthand side)

These were what I used...

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 11.55.20.png
Mini pulleys
Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 11.55.20.png (60.62 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

There's quite a few on ebay...

Good luck if you try this :)

Mike

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 am
midd offline

I've had one installed for my drapes for quite some time. Works well.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:26 pm
noel1983 offline

Bringing this thread back up! I’m looking to automate some normal corded curtains. Nothing heavy duty so just looking for cheapest motor option that I can integrate either with lightwave Rf or z wave. Their used to be loads around on 433mhz but struggling to find now. Low cost sub £50 ideally
Thanks

Page 1 of 1