Had to replace a Keypadlinc. Indigo makes this so painless.

Posted on
Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:00 am
Swancoat offline

Had to replace a Keypadlinc. Indigo makes this so painless.

So I had a keypadlinc go bad. Inconvenient for sure, and it was probably the most heavily leaned-on keypad in my house. Lots of direct links to other devices, and dependent triggers etc...

Anyway, unwire the old one, wire in the new one and just go to redefine the device in Indigo. I cannot overstate how helpful it is that Indigo says, "It looks like you're replacing a device" and fully handles deleting and replacing all of the old links with new ones. Just click the button and let it whir away.

Indigo does a lot of things right (I mean, everyone on this site is drinking the kool-aid, right? :D ) but I wanted to give an extra shout out for something like this. Not the kind of thing we think of when we consider extra 'features', but it made my life waaaay easier yesterday.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Had to replace a Keypadlinc. Indigo makes this so painle

Thanks for appreciation! :-)

Posted on
Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:45 am
ScottCarter offline

Re: Had to replace a Keypadlinc.

I, too, had an 8 button KeypadLinc go bad and had to replace it. Unfortunately, I didn't have any message pop-up that said, "It looks like you're replacing a device." What do I need to do not to lose all of the old links on the bad device before deleting it?

Posted on
Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Had to replace a Keypadlinc. Indigo makes this so painle

You don't delete the device, but rather just do the define and sync again but with the new INSTEON address. Indigo takes care of everything else.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1