What kind of blinds/shades are you using?

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 am
Different Computers offline

What kind of blinds/shades are you using?

I know I've seen discussion of blind and shade controls here, but the appropriate forum is empty.

We're renovating my office, and since it's mine I can use it for all sorts of trial automation. This office has one window, standard 36" double hung, and I'd like a vertical motorized modern looking blind or shade. Optimally, it would be an accordion shade. (Is that what they call them?) I'm in the US.

What are people using?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:45 pm
jalves offline

Re: What kind of blinds/shades are you using?

We have Bali motorized accordion shades on four windows (well, 2 windows and a pair on a slider). They are Z-wave so I should be able to add them to my system for Indigo control. I just haven't yet done that - but others have.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:15 am
Swancoat offline

I have a Lutron honeycomb shade (assume that's the 'accordion' style you mention) in my office and some roller shades in my living room. My experience with Lutron has been outstanding. Most of my Lutron stuff has been bulletproof. Two of my roller shades recently started to fail though - I contacted Lutron tech support (which is really good). Once they were aware of exactly what was going on, etc... the solution was basically, "Yep. Can't fix that. Send us the info from the sticker in the battery compartment and we'll remake the shades and send you new ones."

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 am
durosity offline

Wow that’s pretty epic customer services from Lutron.. that said I suppose they’re quite expensive so they probably build some of that cost into replacement modules!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:19 pm
Different Computers offline

I thought I'd revisit this topic with a slightly different twist.

I am blessed that my wife is a very talented seamstress, and she has made almost all the curtains for our home. These are universally hung on a plain rod with rings, no drawstring. That's fine with me--except that I have been unable to find any sort of way to automate this short of jury rigged pulleys and motors.

Anyone in this situation and either aware of an existing solution or who has figured out how to conquer the problem?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I wonder if you could rig up some sort of linear actuator just under the rod, behind the drapes, that would pull/push them. Should be able to get something with at least 100% extension.

A pair of these would give you 48" open in the center: https://www.robotshop.com/en/firgelli-2 ... uator.html

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:40 am
howartp offline

Get a new wife, then new curtains?

Alternatively, a full length worm/threaded rod hidden behind the main rod, with motor on the end powered by Zwave 2-way module.

(*actually it would need to be two rods or the curtains would gather at one end, not split in middle)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:57 am
durosity offline

howartp wrote:
Get a new wife, then new curtains?

That’s what I’d have said. I’m clearly rubbing off on you.

Being sensible for a moment can’t you just replace the track with a properly motorised one? The cost of them is coming down.. when I last looked at then 5 years it’s cost minimum £400 for a simple straight window, now it’d seem a bay window can cost as little as £159. Add a z-wave module to that and you’ve got nice looking curtain rail without any jerryrigged mechanisms that in my experience tend to fail :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:32 pm
noel1983 offline

Any links to the reasonable price ones you mention Durosity?
cheers

Posted on
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:02 pm
durosity offline

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2864915630

Now this one by default comes with a wireless remote, but I was messaging them and they said they can substitute that for a 4 wired connection that IN THEORY should work with a fibaro roller shutter module (to allow for closing to a % level) or at the very least a dual relay module that’d allow it to fully open and fully close. Now I’ve not bought one of these yet due to all sorts of crazy stuff going on lately (I tell ya 2018 has been horrid so far!) but I do intend to once some things clear up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
pbaperez offline

Anyone know how to start a post on the the appropriate forum, per the above?

I just completed a DIY motorized sun shade project that I want to share.

Used a Somfy motor, thought I'd share it.

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:10 pm
DaveL17 offline

pbaperez wrote:
Anyone know how to start a post on the the appropriate forum, per the above?

I just completed a DIY motorized sun shade project that I want to share.

Used a Somfy motor, thought I'd share it.

I would think that this would be a good forum to use: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=133

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:14 am
Damlala offline

Are the blinds automatic or manual?

ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー

My stepper motor website:skysmotor.com - Machinery Design ? - ? Stepper Moter Development

"Necessity is the mother of invention." - Author unknown.

Page 1 of 1