What kind of blinds/shades are you using?

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 am
Different Computers offline

What kind of blinds/shades are you using?

I know I've seen discussion of blind and shade controls here, but the appropriate forum is empty.

We're renovating my office, and since it's mine I can use it for all sorts of trial automation. This office has one window, standard 36" double hung, and I'd like a vertical motorized modern looking blind or shade. Optimally, it would be an accordion shade. (Is that what they call them?) I'm in the US.

What are people using?

Refugee from SmartThings and so happy to be on Indigo now.
Sierra on an i5 running Harmony Hub, Hue, Security Camera, DomoPad, EPS Device Extensions EPS Smart Dimmer, MatplotLib, Plex, Scale Adapters, uniFiAP, Wunderground.

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:45 pm
jalves offline

Re: What kind of blinds/shades are you using?

We have Bali motorized accordion shades on four windows (well, 2 windows and a pair on a slider). They are Z-wave so I should be able to add them to my system for Indigo control. I just haven't yet done that - but others have.

Running Indigo 7.0.3 and HBB 0.20 on a headless Mac Mini (late 2012), OS X 10.12.4.
Jeff

Posted on
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:15 am
Swancoat offline

I have a Lutron honeycomb shade (assume that's the 'accordion' style you mention) in my office and some roller shades in my living room. My experience with Lutron has been outstanding. Most of my Lutron stuff has been bulletproof. Two of my roller shades recently started to fail though - I contacted Lutron tech support (which is really good). Once they were aware of exactly what was going on, etc... the solution was basically, "Yep. Can't fix that. Send us the info from the sticker in the battery compartment and we'll remake the shades and send you new ones."

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:27 am
durosity offline

Wow that’s pretty epic customer services from Lutron.. that said I suppose they’re quite expensive so they probably build some of that cost into replacement modules!

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1