flic wireless buttons

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:50 pm
exos offline

flic wireless buttons

flic wireless buttons are small 3-option smart buttons that link to a number of home automation systems including IFTTT, Philips Hue and others. One issue I've run into is the 'wife factor'. She just wants to turn off your bedside lamp at night without pulling out her phone. She could manually turn the switch but now the bulb is de-powered. flic offers a nice situation to add small buttons anywhere needed do bridge the gap between normal operation and smart bulb automation. Since this connects to the Philips, not sue how difficult it would be to integrate but this would be very nice! Could be used to execute more complicated actions as well....

flic.io

Posted on
Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:58 pm
toille27 offline

Re: flic wireless buttons

I can't comment on the flic but can comment on the all-powerful 'wife factor'. Gave me a good chuckle. I don't think many of us would have a successful system without keeping that aspect of the home happy. I mounted a battery powered Insteon remote next to the bed and then graduated to an old android phone and Adams' DomoPad....Thank you Adam!

At some point soon I hope to have an Amazon Echo Dot next to the bed and tell Alexa to turn out my lights.

Posted on
Sun May 22, 2016 7:05 am
lalid offline

Looks like you CAN use flic to launch indigo actions ??

https://community.flic.io/topic/27/flic-for-mac/18

But it seems to require some scripting knowledge .

" Supported script files

The following files are supported:

Automator workflows (.workflow)
All other files that are executable (chmod +x a_script.py) and contains a shebang on its first line (#!/some/path)
Some examples of supported files:

AppleScript - .scpt, .AppleScript - #!/usr/bin/osascript
Shell Script - .sh - #!/bin/sh
Ruby Script - .rb - #!/usr/bin/env ruby
Python Script - .py - #!/usr/bin/env python
"
...Have not tested , not that used with scriping ,so please publish you working script ;-)

Posted on
Sun May 22, 2016 8:21 am
Different Computers offline

oooh yah, if it will do applescript you can make it tell Indigo almost anything.

But this runs through the cloud, yes? From years of SmartThings, I'll warn you that the delay built in by the cloud will seem insufferable. I now have the reverse: even after months with Indigo, I'm still just giddy about how the system reacts as fast as an actual button press on the hardware!

I'm wrong! Now that I read about these, I see it's just BLE talking locally. Cool idea!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun May 22, 2016 8:38 am
norcoscia offline

I got this working via automator last week when they released the HaxWithFlic App. Works great.

I'm not a programmer so I"m sure there is a better way to do it but what works in about 2 min is to build an applescript in Automator to launch a action group (see below) and then map it to one of the button actions via the HaxWithFlic pull down menu.

I have actions for Flic press, double press and press and hold. My Indigo PC is in a back bedroom and it works out on my deck. Hope this helps and like I said I just cobbled it together, I'm sure a more eloquent mechanism exists to make it work...

PS. I forgot to add, I don't think this setup uses /needs any internet access to work - it should all be local - but I have not put a sniffer on anything to verify...
Attachments
2016-05-22_07-36-52.jpeg
2016-05-22_07-36-52.jpeg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 8251 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:01 pm
manwithavan offline

Posted on
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:02 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Flic Mac App supports digest authentication and, in fact, will attempt to get the credentials from the keychain so you don't actually have to pass the username/password on the URL. When you set up the Internet Request action in the App, just specify the appropriate RESTful URL and type. When you click the execute button to test it, it will ask for permission to use the keychain to get the saved username/password. Always Allow (AFAIK) will then allow the app to get the creds as needed.

Pretty nice actually - I might have to get a flic button just to test with.

[EDIT] On second thought, $35USD seems like a lot for what it does. I'm sure others will find uses for it, but for me it's just not worth it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Edit, never mind, I see there's a Mac app.

Also Jay: 3 pack of buttons on Amazon for $75 so $25 a piece.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, I definitely don't need 3...

Just make sure your Mac has bluetooth 4.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 am
siclark offline

I have a new (ish) 2014 mac to replace my 2007 one that could not run the Mac app so was controlling the actions from Flic buttons with a rPi but now looking to simplify my setup.

However, I See this involves using Apple scripts to control Indigo. With the impending removal of Applescript support from Indigo, does this setup still work? Would it be possible for the Flic Mac app to run a python script that controls Indigo devices?

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 am

The Hax with Flic app (that I had to talk to Flic support to find out about) supports running *any* kind of script.

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 am
siclark offline

Thanks... good job I have started an online python course.... hopefully might be able to start understand how to do this all soon!

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 am
norcoscia offline

Is the Hax with Flic app is still available to download - they came out with a new app called FLIC that is very different and requires MacOS Sierra (10.12.6)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

siclark wrote:
Thanks... good job I have started an online python course.... hopefully might be able to start understand how to do this all soon!

What does your AppleScript currently do? If it is just executing an Action Group or controlling a device we can show you an easy example.

Posted on
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:11 am

norcoscia wrote:
Is the Hax with Flic app is still available to download - they came out with a new app called FLIC that is very different and requires MacOS Sierra (10.12.6)

As I said, I had to get in touch with support to get access to it. It's at https://github.com/50ButtonsEach/hax-with-flic-osx

There's also http://macplugins.flic.io which explains the process of building a plugin for their mainstream Flic app.